[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Since getting this position, I and the other new VFMs-in-training have been approached with player requests and questions that make it clear there are some misconceptions in the community regarding this role. So I thought I'd try to make it a little clearer what a VFM is.
VFM stands for Volunteer Forum Moderator. This is what the role was initially: someone who moderates the official forums.
However, the role has expanded over the years, and now VFMs are described as "volunteers in the community team" and basically help the CM with whatever they can. They are not, however, Nexon employees.
From the "How to Apply for VFM" post by Arwoo:
A VFM can, and is expected to (per Arwoo's thread on VFM applications):
- Moderate and participate on the Maple community forums &Discord, uphold the Forum Code of Conduct and enforce the rules fairly
- Assist planning ideas for creative and fun contests.
- Provide a helping hand on community temperature reports.
A VFM cannot:
- Fix bugs in the game, or make any changes to the game at all, even "stop this spamming blue notice".
- Ban or unban players, or even summon a GM to "come look at this shameless hacker!"
- In general do anything in or to the game that any other player can't.
Hopefully this helps dispell a few myths. If you have any more questions, please ask.