[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

A humble suggestion for a deteriorating game

TeyuTeyu
Reactions: 575
edited March 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Sorry if the content in this thread doesn't entirely adhere to the General Chat. I understand that Nexon is doing their best to combat hackers in maple, but it remains a prevalent issue and many legitimate players are being affected. I recently found this article:
https://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/jagex-wins-court-case-against-runescape-botters/

Yes, it's a bit dated. Over SIX years ago, a different MMORPG wiped out a large portion of its botters through legal action, while also gaining a fair sum of money. I was wondering if Nexon could do the same. I'm fairly certain it's within Nexon's power, as I've heard they took down a private server through legal action awhile back (Extalia).

Of course, I could be wrong. Better yet, the hackers could target me (LOL). Regardless, I shall respect Nexon's decision, as they can decide the best course of action for the company. I am a mere customer. Who am I to dictate what a company does?

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited March 2018
    nexon has done this before
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-a-silicon-valley-teen-made-thousands-of-dollars-hacking-a-wildly-popular-online-game-2015-4
    I think most of these specific people have since moved on. I mostly just see the bots ran by the chinese
  • TeyuTeyu
    Reactions: 575
    edited March 2018
    Ah I didn't realize that Nexon has done something similar before. I'm curious though, as the article indicated that Nexon could prosecute one of the minor hacking groups to scare the rest of them. The hackers are currently out of control (from my point of view), as they literally spam smegas or just fill up a populated area with all-chat spam. All these spam bots do is advertise their site, which they supposedly use to sell whatever they intend to. That would leave them vulnerable for a raid from Nexon's legal department, would it not? What I was wondering is whether Nexon will decide to try and scare off the small hacking groups, or continue to rely on an auto-ban system, as the majority of the hackers we know are only there to make a profit, and not to further their own in-game progress. Once again, I may be unaware of some other factors, so I guess we'll have have to see what Nexon does.
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited March 2018
    it might be harder to take legal action because they are based in china. honestly i doubt they even make much profit off this game. these guys are probably botting multiple games at once and they are there regardless of how little profit they make. most players dont like them so i doubt many buy from them. anyone stupid enough to even try would probably get their account stolen by going to their website anyway. believe me, this isnt so bad. several years back actual person hackers would spam smegas bragging about their hacks and hacked items, openly trading hacked items and nexon just let it slide for years. having played through that permanently made me lose trust in most people in this game. i still dont believe anyone that claims to be legit because back then people claimed they were legit while wearing obviously hacked items
  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    edited March 2018
    Arlong wrote: »
    it might be harder to take legal action because they are based in china. honestly i doubt they even make much profit off this game. these guys are probably botting multiple games at once and they are there regardless of how little profit they make. most players dont like them so i doubt many buy from them. anyone stupid enough to even try would probably get their account stolen by going to their website anyway. believe me, this isnt so bad. several years back actual person hackers would spam smegas bragging about their hacks and hacked items, openly trading hacked items and nexon just let it slide for years. having played through that permanently made me lose trust in most people in this game. i still dont believe anyone that claims to be legit because back then people claimed they were legit while wearing obviously hacked items

A lot of people buy off those websites (from what I hear), they make a killing off maplestory. the population is dying, but whats left are some players in their 20s with disposable income. I remember being psyched to get $20 on my moms paypal for NX. Now i'm 23 with enough money to really fund a character. This is the reality for a lot of maplers now, and a fair number choose 3rd party websites for funding, instead of NX. A solid way for Nexon to resolve this market is to take it over and undercut these suppliers. Maplers are buying mesos whether they like it or not- they could combat botters, and turn a profit if they took up this market themselves.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2018
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Maplers are buying mesos whether they like it or not- they could combat botters, and turn a profit if they took up this market themselves.

You can purchase maple points for mesos and vice versa legitimately using the meso market in any town in non-Reboot servers. Under "Quick Move", select the lady in the pantsuit, enter your PIC, and buy or sell. Rates are dependent on server-wide transactions, meaning you will always get the rate at which people are buying or selling at in your server.
    You can purchase Maple Points for NX credit/pre-paid in the cash shop (10k, 25k, and 50k variants), although you cannot convert vice versa.

This has been a feature in GMS since v.185, close to a year ago.
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/22516/updated-v-185-maplestory-x-re-zero-patch-notes
  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    edited March 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Maplers are buying mesos whether they like it or not- they could combat botters, and turn a profit if they took up this market themselves.

You can purchase maple points for mesos and vice versa legitimately using the meso market in any town in non-Reboot servers. Under "Quick Move", select the lady in the pantsuit, enter your PIC, and buy or sell. Rates are dependent on server-wide transactions, meaning you will always get the rate at which people are buying or selling at in your server.
    You can purchase Maple Points for NX credit/pre-paid in the cash shop (10k, 25k, and 50k variants), although you cannot convert vice versa.

This has been a feature in GMS since v.185, close to a year ago.
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/22516/updated-v-185-maplestory-x-re-zero-patch-notes

I should have bolded the word "undercut" as right now the price is not competitive for meso market compared to what everyone sees being advertised through smegas or on discord.

Also a huge problem with the meso market is it doesn't diminish how much of the illegitimate 3rd party mesos is being used as it is likely still involved with those transactions. My previous post meant Nexon should be directly providing the service of selling mesos at a fixed nx/maple pt ratio that undercuts 3rd party site prices, this way you can gaurantee the mesos is legitimate, and nexon makes money off it (might even contribute to readjusting the economy if meso becomes really cheap, ofc prices would rise though).*most importantly* Nexon makes money that may have otherwise been spent on 3rd party websites. The way meso market is set up right now is legit close to money laundering, as bots can get legitimate maple points from this process of selling illegitimate meso.
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    edited March 2018
    LOL, when you go to Gollux and see big name whales sitting afk and advertising meso sales via a game board then try to report them only to find that feature doesn't even work anymore.... you know they aren't doing near enough to combat these problems.