[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Whitelisted Software for Controller Mapping

EnvoEnvo
Reactions: 440
edited March 2018 in General Chat
Hi, I just wanted to get a response from official channels as to what are confirmed softwares that will allow me to map a PS4 controller inputs? I would just like to make sure I'm not using any software that would trigger a false ban.

Comments

• PizzaaPizzaa
    Reactions: 1,591
    Private Tester
    edited March 2018
    There's isn't an official white list, I would recommand to use the built-in feature in the game and not put a risk on your account by using any 3rd party software.
  • TotallyBrokenTotallyBroken
    Reactions: 720
    edited March 2018
    Pizzaaa wrote: »
    There's isn't an official white list, I would recommand to use the built-in feature in the game and not put a risk on your account by using any 3rd party software.

The built-in feature is woefully insufficient though. Ignoring the left stick for movement, it only allows for 11 inputs, and only for skills/items bound to pre-selected keys (attack, jump, pick up, and because I tend to select secondary keys for my characters, S, D, F, A, Q, W, E, and R). On your average xbox/playstation style controller you have at least 20 inputs: 6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons/triggers, 4 directional inputs for the directional pad, 4 cardinal directional inputs from the right stick (maybe more with the right setup), and clicking in either analog stick. And given the sheer number of skills, buffs, potions, etc a player might need at the ready, even that can fill up pretty quick. Not to mention, preferred layouts may vary heavily from one class to another given different playstyles.

So, the advantages a 3rd party key mapping program has over the in-game option:
    - Able to bind ALL of an average controller's buttons to usable keys
    - Able to bind buttons to any key of choice
    - Able to set up multiple, easily switchable key mapping profiles for varying characters/situations
    And that's just the basics. Anything deeper than that is likely to get one flagged for a ban though.

You're quite right that people should be very cautious about using any 3rd party software with this game. However, people are also right to want something better. And when insufficient tools are provided to them for the tasks they wish to complete, they will inevitably look to solve the problem themselves, for good or ill.
    SlicedTimePleinairLadysio