[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FORCE US TO REVEAL COUNTRY

yukimoriyukimori
Reactions: 1,155
edited April 2018 in Rants and Raves
ITS NOT LEGAL TO FORCE US PLAYERS TO REVEAL OUR COUNTRY. U CANNOT ASK US TO CHOOSE A COUNTRY AND REVEAL THIS INFORMATION TO U!
ITS A GAME, NOT A BANK ACCOUNT OR A STORE WHERE SUCH INFO IS NEEDED.

U MUST REMEMBER THAT MOST OF YOUR PLAYER BASE ARE MINORS, ASKING THEM "YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE A COUNTRY" IS NOT LEGAL BY LAW.
YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT AS A CHOISE, NOT FORCING IT ON US.
i dont want you to know what country im from cuz its not benefit me in any way!!!!
and not allowing us to log in until we choose the country is barbaric.
DONT FORGET THAT WE PLAYERS ARE PAYING YOU (WHEN WE BUY NEXON CREDIT, ITS NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    They can't force you to reveal your country, but they're also not required to let you play their game.

If you don't want to specify your country, feel free to uninstall Nexon Launcher and go spend your time and money on other companies' games.
    CatoooloooIsles
  • HiredMercHiredMerc
    Reactions: 920
    edited April 2018
    @yukimori =) they already know your country by your the ip address

it is wierd to me tho why they still force us to state a country ..
    interesting...........................maybe som1 could shed light on this for me please

@AKradian your a veteram here respect the community , these are the players who play this game and use the forum that is so familiar to u

id expect so much more from u dont let me dowm, please
    CatoooloooSlicedTime
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited April 2018
    HiredMerc wrote: »

interesting...........................maybe som1 could shed light on this for me please

@AKradian your a veteram here respect the community , these are the players who play this game and use the forum that is so familiar to u

I mean, what else is there to say? I'm sure there's some specific details within the depths of the fine print, but it still wouldn't change anything. Err, and as far as I can tell, AKradian wasn't disrespectful in response to Yukimori. But the long and short of it is, this hasn't been an issue in the past, I don't see why it's one now.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018

I have no idea why they ask us to state a country.
    As you said, they know it from the IP address. And those who have a misleading IP address will also lie to the question.
    If you click on "why do I need to answer that?" (or however it's phrased on the Launcher login window) it'll tell you that they need to know it for currency conversion and because some games are not available in some countries. Which doesn't really convince me.
    Personally, I think the Nexon Launcher developers are focusing on the wrong features instead of making the stupid thing do the basic functions it needs to do - download, install, patch, and launch - correctly every time.

I respect the community.
    If the person had posted a respectful, polite question of "Why is Nexon asking us to specify our country?" I'd have given much the same answer I gave you.
    However, when they burst in here screaming IT'S NOT LEGAL, what other answer could I give?
    ACMBlackCipherReoshikaiIsles
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited April 2018
    yukimori wrote: »
    ITS NOT LEGAL TO FORCE US PLAYERS TO REVEAL OUR COUNTRY. U CANNOT ASK US TO CHOOSE A COUNTRY AND REVEAL THIS INFORMATION TO U!
    ITS A GAME, NOT A BANK ACCOUNT OR A STORE WHERE SUCH INFO IS NEEDED.

U MUST REMEMBER THAT MOST OF YOUR PLAYER BASE ARE MINORS, ASKING THEM "YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE A COUNTRY" IS NOT LEGAL BY LAW.
    YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT AS A CHOISE, NOT FORCING IT ON US.
    i dont want you to know what country im from cuz its not benefit me in any way!!!!
    and not allowing us to log in until we choose the country is barbaric.
    DONT FORGET THAT WE PLAYERS ARE PAYING YOU (WHEN WE BUY NEXON CREDIT, ITS NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND)

I'm not sure what law you refer to when you say it's illegal to ask for your country. "Most of your player base are minors." Sure, but the ToS also say that by agreeing to the terms you're either 18 (legally and adult) or 13 with a parent's consent. . . Not that anyone bothers to read that even though it's not hidden in the ToS and is rather blatantly displayed.

Calling it barbaric on top of that is overreacting just a bit. Just because you pay Nexon doesn't mean you own them.

I think the section you were looking for is "Rants and Raves"
  • TsundereKyuTsundereKyu
    Reactions: 2,120
    edited April 2018
    if you were to ever get hacked it helps. because let's say your country is in the US. but suddenly your account logs in from europe. it can help identify your account was stolen :B
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    http://www.nexon.net/legal/privacy-policy/
    1. INFORMATION PRACTICES CONCERNING CHILDREN
    Our Services are not directed to children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please stop using our Services. If you are under the age of majority in your country of residence, you must have your parent or legal guardian’s permission to register for the Services (and you will provide evidence of such permission to us upon our request). If you do not have your parent or legal guardian’s permission (or cannot provide evidence of such permission to us upon our request), please stop using our Service.

We encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in monitoring their children’s use of the Services. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from children under the age of 13, we will make efforts to promptly delete that information.

2. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
    We require certain information from you in order to provide the Services to you.

Personal Information. When you use our Services, we may collect and store personally identifiable information that you have directly provided on a voluntary basis. Personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to his/her physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity. For example, when you register with us, we may collect certain information from you, including your name, email address, username, nicknames and passwords, and social networking usernames and information. Once registered, you may also have the option of completing a user profile. Your user profile may include Personal and non-Personal Information, depending on how you complete the profile. We do not require Personal Information from you in order to access our Sites or some aspects of our Services. However, you will not be able to utilize certain features of our Services unless you create a profile and share with us some Personal Information. For example, you will not be able to play some of our Games, receive materials such as newsletters, or make purchases without a profile being created.
    You agree to the above when you register an account.
    Lilac_Lilies
  • Lilac_LiliesLilac_Lilies
    Reactions: 400
    edited April 2018
    If you play other games which I’m sure you do. They all will ask for some sort of basic information for registration purposes....ie name,age,and a generalized location (USA,CANADA,UK etc.... ) they are not asking for personal addresses. They have these terms and policies set for players same with an age restriction for protection against minors with out parental consent or for loss of password or something along those lines, they need information to help recover/fix problems on your account...So I don’t think your point is very valid. Next time Read the terms and policies before joining a game if you don’t like what they are asking for don’t join.
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Omg why is the thread maker complaining.
    You have to state your country in every mmo registration, even outside of an game in RL
    Op is a troll or a conspiracy theorist.
  • IslesIsles
    Reactions: 300
    edited April 2018
    I wonder.. are they collecting information on the population for perhaps another time change ? It's a huge consensus, that everyone I know, hates the currant time format for GMS .. its so confusing and needs to go back to PS..... just a thought.. my first thought when asked what country..