[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Removal of /Find command + Teleport rock option

Comments

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2018
    It's just a lot easier to refresh a /find command in chat than bringing up guild UI and clicking the menu option without fatfingering and inviting them to party instead which is awkward for everyone involved.

The buddylist doesn't show the area the person is in, but only the map name, and buddylist has no "See Location" menu option like the guild UI does (which is essentially the /find command that shows the full location in the chatbar).

It's also a good way to confirm if someone is using an i or an L in their ign, preventing people from getting themselves scammed in trades due to impersonators.

There's also the issue of trying to organize casual groups without having everyone added (cause of buddylist space being limited) or being in the same guild/alliance. Or if you're guiding some new player to a specific area. The party text "The user is currently at another location" doesn't really say much and you can't give useful directions based on that.

And lastly it's useful for finding out if someone on your buddylist has deleted you so you could free up space of your own.
    ManiOhSam016Nibbo
  • Sam016Sam016
    Reactions: 1,880
    edited March 2018
    Okhura wrote: »
    If we remove hackers from the equation, would anyone miss it for any other reason?

Well there's still the fact that we can't find MVP casters / item sellers / people usually whisper for help whenever I use a megaphone so using find is easier to get to them / elite monster help / tracking down friends from my bishop / avoiding people with L/I in their names as they try to impersonate someone

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why find is used by everyone but it's so greatly benefitting hackers it's stupid, it's to the point where hackers are saying it's harassment to record them in-game so removing find was a good thing
    Nibbo
  • RadiantSightRadiantSight
    Reactions: 1,025
    edited March 2018
    If Game masters logged on to patrol Maple story's popular maps for hackers, they can't use find command either unless they put on a recorder or they can secretly use /find command still if that was still the case. Everyone is pretty much stuck with recording at the moment.

Nexon in their HQ is probally planning to implement more randomized appearances of rune arrows at some patch after removing the /find command. I highly doubt it would work if hackers already got automatic random rune solvers. It's only arrow keys they have to deal with.
  • NibboNibbo
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2018
    If we remove hackers from the equation, would anyone miss it for any other reason?

There are many reasons we miss it

There's people who try to make trades or deals who don't have each other in buddy list or anything to be able to find them, it is very convenient to know if the other party is online or not.
    Since the only way to find people is having them in buddy list or guild, think of the people who have maxed out buddy list (100/100) and a guild that won't accept just anyone. It's hard to keep in touch in game with those you can't add to buddy.
    The above also applies for even your own alliance. You can only check where your own guild mates are at, not those in alliance guilds. /find command was very convenient for finding and helping alliance members too.

I imagine some people might use it to avoid people they wouldn't want to bump into or see.

Not even GMs will be able to track the hackers if there's no /find command? How will they even be able to find them to investigate in game?
    (Obviously tracking illegit players is a huge loss for those who want to help the game team keep game clean, even if that isn't their job at all and should be done by the GMs)

What do we gain from removing /find and hyper rock teleport to other players?

So far I have only seen people complaining about harassment and unnecessary stalking, but this should be possible to prevent in other ways?

I honestly see more positives from having the command than negatives.
    Sam016
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the feedback, it's just the topic seemed very centred around the following hackers.
    So I just wanted to see if there were other things people were missing :)
    Nibbo
  • Sam016Sam016
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the feedback, it's just the topic seemed very centred around the following hackers.

But do we still not have an update for this situation?
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited March 2018
    Sam016 wrote: »

But do we still not have an update for this situation?

Well when the topic first came up the concerns were sent to Nexon, and I have sent the additional information I asked for along too.
    There is no update from Nexon.
  • FetusFetus
    Reactions: 210
    It's obvious that not a damn thing will be done about this. The topic will just disappear into nothingness like everything else that is a concern to us.
    xparasite9
  • Sam016Sam016
    edited May 2018
    Still looking for an update on this :(
    Nibbo
  • NibboNibbo
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    Sam016 wrote: »
    Still looking for an update on this :(

Yes, PLEASE update us! You can't possibly need this much time to think about something like this :(
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited May 2018
    oh joy, I come back to find yet another feature has been removed from the game.

They sure do make it hard to want to stick around permanently.
  • derekkrazedderekkrazed
    The /find is how I found some of my friends from my dead BL list... Be it rare that it happens, but my goodness when it happens. It's a lovely hour long conversation.