[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Monster Collection] Guaranteed Elite Monsters

ZerpZerp
Reactions: 390
edited May 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So I'm finishing leveling 5th characters at wild boars (all the way to 74, which I assume is the max level I can get them to spawn elite monsters (same story at vikings on 4 others characters and 3 of those characters also stayed at Wood Masks). I got correct elite monsters (across the 9 characters on the 3 spots) 8 times (2 Evasive Wild Boars, 3 Sticky Wooden Masks and 3 Petrifying Solemn Vikings) and none of them registered.

I thought, I misread the name or something, so I screencapped the last kill. Now I am sure, that it was the correct type of elite monster (Evasive Wild Boar) and it did not register...

So to recap: It takes days to get correct elite monster monsters once, it's impossible to get them if you get too high level (so it takes multiple characters) and on top of that some don't register......

Mu suggestion: make elite monster kills guaranteed additions to monster collection - if you kill the correct type of elite monster it should register right away.

Comments

• JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    There are some creatures that do seem to be far too rare.

-mobs that exist only as anti-afk creatures
    -specific elite mobs
    -low spawn count mobs (rombot)
    -others?

Would be nice if they buffed the obtain rates on these.
    SecondHero
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited May 2018
    I also find mobs they don't have their own map to be difficult to register. There are no maps dedicated for Buffies* and Lazy Buffies* in Ludibrium.
  • ZerpZerp
    edited May 2018
    I can't get 3 of relatively low level elite monsters (I just reached 15 characters at level 70+).I find this ridiculous, that I can't get a monster that stops spawning at higher levels. I mean hard to spawn is fair enough, but if you grind on 4 character for a particular elite monster, you'll get it, but hell, multiple of those not registering is just stupid...

And what scares me the most is Nexon keeps screwing around with existing systems and basically kill them in future updates, so if you fail now there's a chance it will be locked out forever....
  • LatemasterLatemaster
    Reactions: 1,780
    edited May 2018
    I don't mind high lvl elites since if you grind on the map of high lvl mobs you probably get the elite eventually
    low lvl elites are just ridiculous. Takes way too long to spawn one and while grinding char that's 100- you get maby 5-6 elites on 1 char and there's 21 different elites (1 is double elite) what can spawn
    then 1 mob is basically impossible (possible evil seal double elite) low lvl elite in low spawn map and even lower chance to get specific elite

anti afk monsters should atleast be 3* mobs not 2* (equivalent to current elites not sf/af mobs)

rombot is boss like mushmom, droy... so why it's in lower tier??
    viking squad is low lvl mob sure but it's quest mob and only limited amount spawns--> maby bit too hard to get

bit offtopic but monster collection is great system and damn undervalued. those medals are quite bad and the exploration rewards are mainly trait pots. Some stat boosts from that would make it more interesting for ppl. (something like as, att, pdr, boss % every 10 lvls)
    for example 10 mobs --> 5as
    20mobs-->5att
    30mobs-->5as
    40mobs-->5att
    50mobs-->5% pdr+5%boss
    that wouldn't be that much even with 770mobs (roughly 130att 130as 65% boss 65% pdr) and most wouldn't even get more than 200 anyways
    just rewards from hard work since it takes hours after hours to gather even 1 higher lvl mob
  • ZerpZerp
    edited May 2018
    So I leveled up 3 more characters, got 3 more Petrifying Solemn Vikings kills, 1 finally registered (and that finally got the mushroom kingdom done). I was also killing Wild Boars (trying to get evasive wild boars), didn't get a single one of them with 3 characters. Also did Wooden masks on the last character, and got 1 Sticky Wooden Mask to spawn, which didn't register again.

After spending 2 months doing nothing but low level Victoria island monster collection and with 18 characters SLOWLY (avoided all exp buffs on most of them) leveled past the level range at which these monster spawn, I'm still nowhere near to being done.
    In short I decided to give up, both on collections and the game, which has 2 of them at this point ( collection and codex ).

I wish I found a message like this when I first started looking for the reason my (correct) elite monster kills didn't register, would have left right away
  • MhatMhat
    Reactions: 640
    edited May 2018
    If you grind on a cursed map you won't outlevel the mobs but you can still spawn elites. Not that it makes collecting them less frustrating it might help getting them though.
  • LatemasterLatemaster
    Reactions: 1,780
    edited July 2018
    rune of darkness spawns 3 elites regardless of your lvl so those can be spawned even later. but still elites are bit too hard to get.
    though you don't need elites for that 600 mobs, there's 630 non elite non boss non afk killer mobs and who needs more than 5 explo slots when there isn't any more
  • EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,610
    edited July 2018
    I'd love to get rid of from these elite mob entires in the Monster Collection and just make it harder to get the entries from normal monsters.
    Sumi
  • AK712AK712
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited July 2018
    I think that specific Elites should just be replaced by any Elite at all. Right now almost all 3-star elites are more difficult to obtain a completion for than 5-star bosses.

If we do keep it as specific Elites, I say change them to four stars since they're so hard to find.

I would also recommend a linear growth equation for the chance of registering a monster, so that eventually you're guaranteed to have it register. Something like this: % Chance of Register = .01*(Monsters Killed/Monster Level)*(Stars^3).

This would make it so 3,4, and 5-star monsters would be guaranteed to register at (Level*3.7) kills, (Level*1.6) kills, and (Level*.8) kills respectively. That would at least make it worthwhile hunting elites, limited-per-day field bosses, and normal bosses, knowing that eventually you were guaranteed to register them.

Thanks,
    AK712
  • CJSmasherCJSmasher
    Reactions: 220
    edited December 2018
    those medals are quite bad and the exploration rewards are mainly trait pots. Some stat boosts from that would make it more interesting for ppl. (something like as, att, pdr, boss % every 10 lvls)

I was thinking that the medals could be revised and you could get stronger medals as you increase completion. This would be completion of the Monster Collection in full not just areas - they should remove those area medals and just give one big medal that can be replaced with better medals as you get more monsters:

5% completion medal: All Stats +2
    10% completion medal: All Stats +5, +100 HP/MP
    25% completion medal: All Stats +8, +300 HP/MP, +5 Atk/M.Atk
    50% completion medal: All Stats +12, +500 HP/MP, +10 Atk/M.Atk, +10 Defense
    75% completion medal: All Stats +17, +1000 HP/MP, +25 Atk/M.Atk/Defense
    90%* completion medal: All Stats +25, +2500 HP/MP, +40 Atk/M.Atk/Defense, can be potentialed

In other worlds, getting 90% completion in the entire Monster Collection book would give you a medal that would far outstrip the Antellion Guardian/Dark Follower Medal you get from Masteria Throughout Time and it'd be the first medal you could add potential to, making it even more powerful.

* Stopping it at 90% until Nexon either removes the 26 monster entries that are impossible to collect or reinstates those monsters like Mr. Chomps back into the game and moves some of the monsters that can only be farmed in Mirror World to actual farming spots because Reboot can never get those monsters as Zeroes are banned in Reboot. Looking at you, Targa and Giant Bellflower Root! X(
  • CJSmasherCJSmasher
    edited December 2018
    Mhat wrote: »
    If you grind on a cursed map you won't outlevel the mobs but you can still spawn elites. Not that it makes collecting them less frustrating it might help getting them though.

First off, they honestly need to update the forums to include an edit feature so you don't have to double-post.

Second, I never thought about the Elite Boss Curse before. That would solve the problem of overleveling, but I don't know how long the curse lasts if you don't touch the rune.
  • CJSmasherCJSmasher
    edited December 2018
    Zerp wrote: »
    In short I decided to give up, both on collections and the game, which has 2 of them at this point ( collection and codex ).

I wish I found a message like this when I first started looking for the reason my (correct) elite monster kills didn't register, would have left right away

Sorry the game got sour for you because of this. I admit that it is rather time-consuming to grind out mobs just for one to register on your collection table. That is sort of why it's good to step away for a while and do something else(like bake cupcakes) to avoid burnout. ;)
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    CJSmasher wrote: »
    Mhat wrote: »

First off, they honestly need to update the forums to include an edit feature so you don't have to double-post.

Second, I never thought about the Elite Boss Curse before. That would solve the problem of overleveling, but I don't know how long the curse lasts if you don't touch the rune.

It does have an edit function. Click the gear in the top right corner.
    The rune curse will last forever. It's an annoying way of doing this, but it would work I guess.
    This is an old thread, so you might get called out for necro posting.
    Honestly though, it's still an issue.
    CJSmasher wrote: »
    those medals are quite bad and the exploration rewards are mainly trait pots. Some stat boosts from that would make it more interesting for ppl. (something like as, att, pdr, boss % every 10 lvls)

I was thinking that the medals could be revised and you could get stronger medals as you increase completion. This would be completion of the Monster Collection in full not just areas - they should remove those area medals and just give one big medal that can be replaced with better medals as you get more monsters:

5% completion medal: All Stats +2
    10% completion medal: All Stats +5, +100 HP/MP
    25% completion medal: All Stats +8, +300 HP/MP, +5 Atk/M.Atk
    50% completion medal: All Stats +12, +500 HP/MP, +10 Atk/M.Atk, +10 Defense
    75% completion medal: All Stats +17, +1000 HP/MP, +25 Atk/M.Atk/Defense
    90%* completion medal: All Stats +25, +2500 HP/MP, +40 Atk/M.Atk/Defense, can be potentialed

In other worlds, getting 90% completion in the entire Monster Collection book would give you a medal that would far outstrip the Antellion Guardian/Dark Follower Medal you get from Masteria Throughout Time and it'd be the first medal you could add potential to, making it even more powerful.

* Stopping it at 90% until Nexon either removes the 26 monster entries that are impossible to collect or reinstates those monsters like Mr. Chomps back into the game and moves some of the monsters that can only be farmed in Mirror World to actual farming spots because Reboot can never get those monsters as Zeroes are banned in Reboot. Looking at you, Targa and Giant Bellflower Root! X(

I agree the medal could be revised to be better. But potential might be a bit too much.

Both Targa and Giant Bellflower Root should be possible to collect though.
    Targa from Dojo (45th floor) and Giant Bellflower Root spawns in a normal Herb Town map as well in Castle Walls bounty portal.
    I'm not sure that 100% are obtainable, but those two should be.
    FvXwVxL.png