[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Do Not Remove Captain Vaga

ChroniusNightmareChroniusNightmare
Reactions: 1,975
edited September 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Dear SavageAce,

I am against the removal of Captain Vaga. According to the site, Captain Vaga was released on July 10 of this year. I strongly feel that it has not been out long enough to warrant for deletion. If there was ever a piece of game content that should be tossed to the curb, look no further than Golden Temple.

Golden Temple was once a somewhat active spot when it first came out. Apart from its entirety, the one thing it had going for it was to get a nice-looking hat. Many years later, it has become unreachable from Mu Lung. The only ways to get there are through the Maple Guide for players who are near Level 130 or by use of a Hyper Teleport Rock. A large majority of players don’t know anything about the area and the few that do are hackers.

Maybe not remove the areas entirely, but have them disabled or blocked off in a similar way they went about it with Tera Forest. Tera Forest has come and gone over several re-hashes and it still remains to be blocked off. The fact that they haven't removed Time Traveler’s Pocket Watch as a drop from enemies in Leafre suggests to me that there might still be a future for that content.

Captain Vaga is available at Level 33 through the quest (light bulb) icon to the left of the screen. I like that it is its own game mode within MapleStory where you can play as a soldier who gets to fight and exterminate large bugs on the daily. It is a new piece of content that is kind of like Heroes of Maple World. Your character transforms into another character and you adapt to the unchangeable key configurations as you play through the game. You're immediately thrown into a battle where you're struggling to figure out how to attack because it's never brought up. I just happened to find out about it when I accidently used the mouse and stuff happened to work out in my favour. Afterwards I got to learn all about hopping around and shooting stuff, but I never saw an explaination on how to use the Pistol. I found out through the forums about it. I was quickly learning that more kills gave more exp and promotion points. All the while I'm inching up in the ranks and then suddenly I'm fighting a slow-moving bug with tentacles and that it's moving from one side of the map to the other. The difficulty just shot way up because now you have to tag along with the boss and widdle away at its HP bar. I had been walled on it for 2 days and then I finally got a break when I stopped using guns and just using the spear. I had also found an odd bug in the bottom of the map when I used the Auto Turret and the boss literally spun around to move in the direction it came from. After many mouse clicks, I finally broke through. After getting passed that, the game went back to normal and it was quite literally smooth sailing until the very end. The one bad criticism I have for this game mode though, is that you can't do any of the missions as a party. I know I would've liked to have had someone helping me take out with that bug boss the first time around. In the end, I got a nice medal and a one-of-a-kind chair that plays two different songs when you're sitting with it.

So SavageAce, please reconsider your motion on fully removing Captain Vaga.

Signed- ChroniusNightmare
Wimble_NefronMiniardDuartSlicedTimeALEXCHOIhannahlwood8
  1. Keep Captain Vaga12 votes
    1. Yes
       58% (7 votes)
    2. No
       42% (5 votes)

Comments

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    The crane in Mu Lung still takes you to Golden Temple after accepting the quest, I did the content just a few weeks ago and it's reachable today. It also has several monsters available for monster collection so I don't agree with your suggestion to remove it.
    23yp2Dg.jpg
    UfTBqLj.jpg
  • ChroniusNightmareChroniusNightmare
    edited September 2018
    SadVirgin
    The crane in Mu Lung still takes you to Golden Temple after accepting the quest, I did the content just a few weeks ago and it's reachable today. It also has several monsters available for monster collection so I don't agree with your suggestion to remove it.
    If the character you want to send over there did not go the first time, it does not have access to the option through the crane in Mu Lung, which still follows up with the much unwanted purchasing of a Hyper Teleport Rock to get there. The requirements for going there should warrant a change.

Another place that came to mind is Malaysia. The big thing for that area was being able to fight Targa and Scarlion, but as of late, the only people that you stumble into when you’re over there are hackers.
    Kritias is also unfinished (can't fight Hekaton).
    Twisted Aqua Road is a pointless place with basically no unique final reward.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited September 2018
    I rather have Blackgate be removed and reworked along with Afterlands. Afterlands is very buggy and Blackgate is just incomplete with no central boss or even a story.
    ChroniusNightmareSlicedTime
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    I rather have Blackgate be removed and reworked along with Afterlands. Afterlands is very buggy and Blackgate is just incomplete with no central boss or even a story.

Never got into BlackGate, but isn't the "central boss" Izanami?
    *Oh wait, went back researched and realized that was an April Fools joke. -.-
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited September 2018
    Captain Vaga is bad and should never have been born in the first place. Fact.
  • EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,610
    edited September 2018
    DFDFD wrote: »

Biased.

Anyway, I don't think removing stuff is a way to solve things. Especially for Captain Vaga I really don't believe it's purely because it didn't succeed to establish into the world of MapleStory within two months but because of laziness of not bothering for exploits. Also, removing other places that aren't too active anymore is.. eh.. just ignore them? Do they bother you they exist in the first place? If they were that intrusive like the first Alishan quest used to be or how Kritias is (although it used to be relevant till 25*) then I might get your mindset.

I get that multiple places like Blackgate City, Twisted Aqua Road or Alishan could be removed or reworked because their content is more than dissatisfying but like many things in the game these places were not optimized to the community's interest (see Crusader Codex, see Party Quest).

I mean let's be honest: Do you guys like places such as Tynerum? or Commerci? Where you cannot teleport, where you have awful spawn rates, where you only bother for them for the sake of questlines (speaking of Gollux and CPQ)? Many places are just not good but it's a question of relevance, and believe it or not but Golden Temple or Blackgate City have some relevance for certain users.

I wish to keep Captain Vaga since it is the prequel to Stellar Detectives and honestly, it wasn't the worst thing I have played in Maple. Neither it was the worst story in the game, Mushroom Shrine and Fantastic Theme Park are unbeaten...
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited September 2018
    Enokumo wrote: »
    DFDFD wrote: »

Biased.

Biased how?

• HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited September 2018
    I tried it recently and was rather confused by the weapon sprites being displayed at right angles to how it should have been. The interface was also not clear about how to do things or what it was about or how it linked to the Mapleworld. (But I failed the first mission, so maybe I hadn't seen the point of it yet. Then again, maybe it gets worse...)

This is basically a typical online game thing where they keep throwing incomplete and buggy content in a rush to have new things, when what players actually want is completed and working things.
    Constantly adding and removing not great content is not the way to go. If something isn't working as intended, it should be fixed, not removed and replaced with the next incomplete and buggy piece of content.
    edited September 2018
    HousePet wrote: »
    I tried it recently and was rather confused by the weapon sprites being displayed at right angles to how it should have been. The interface was also not clear about how to do things or what it was about or how it linked to the Mapleworld. (But I failed the first mission, so maybe I hadn't seen the point of it yet. Then again, maybe it gets worse...)

This is basically a typical online game thing where they keep throwing incomplete and buggy content in a rush to have new things, when what players actually want is completed and working things.
    Constantly adding and removing not great content is not the way to go. If something isn't working as intended, it should be fixed, not removed and replaced with the next incomplete and buggy piece of content.

I get what you're saying, it is difficult to play a game if you don't know what your limitations are. It's a bit of experimentation that is missing in a lot of new content and sometimes that can be a good or bad thing depending on your audience. Honestly, I wouldn't blame you on missing out on key instructions when zipping through those text boxes. It is very easy to miss much needed information. It is so vague that I had taken it upon myself to make up a guide on how everything worked in Captain Vaga.
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/21789/captain-vaga-guide#latest
    Also, the reason why there wasn't any immediate link to Maple World is because you don't find out about it until the very end of the story.
    You find out that you've been working for PULSAR all the while fighting bugs that were being produced on the ship as biological weapons to be sold off. And then after that is where the start of Stellar Detectives begins.
    ALEXCHOIhannahlwood8
    edited September 2018
    Also, removing other places that aren't too active anymore is.. eh.. just ignore them? Do they bother you they exist in the first place?

The reason I'm concerned is mostly because content that was once used is now solely reserved for hackers to spawn Elites. The fewer unused areas we have, the more likely we are of exposing and banning hackers.
  • EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,610
    edited September 2018
    Also, removing other places that aren't too active anymore is.. eh.. just ignore them? Do they bother you they exist in the first place?

The reason I'm concerned is mostly because content that was once used is now solely reserved for hackers to spawn Elites. The fewer unused areas we have, the more likely we are of exposing and banning hackers.

So they will move to more populated places, where they steal us our maps. Does that help?