[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Closed Maps (Singapore, Tera Forest, etc.)

AK712AK712
Reactions: 1,840
edited October 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
There have been a large amount of players who have been unhappy about the closed content, especially with the recent closure of the entire Singapore area. Although I do understand the reasons for all of the closures, I believe that the currently closed areas (Singapore, Tera Forest, Florina Beach, and any others I have forgotten) should actually be re-opened, although with one difference - all mobs and quests removed.

The reason for this is simple - MapleStory is largely an exploration game. It is extremely enjoyable to have a giant world to explore with others; the larger the world, the more opportunities to find new areas. While closing areas may seem like a good idea (especially if the area has become a problem in terms of botting/hacking, lack of updates, and low visit rates by users), I believe that leaving the area open to explore is a better idea.

Removing all mobs and quests from the area will fix almost all of the propblems with the current closed areas; with no mobs, there will be no reason for botters/hackers to travel there, and therefore no need for GMs patrolling the areas. Removing quests is a logical step afterwards, since there would be no mobs to complete the quests, and would therefore make almost all of the quests useless (although the NPCs should still be left, as it would add to the enjoyment of the area, as well as keeping stores/storages available for players in the area).

In short, MapleStory is more than just a giant grinding area; we enjoy the exploration aspect (and for some of us, that is why we continue playing). Therefore, removing an area because of issues with the area's mobs and quests shouldn't be the first response, but the last. Removing the mobs and quests, while leaving the field, background, music, etc. untouched, would still keep the area fun for explorers.

Thanks,
AK712
  1. How should MapleStory handle currently closed areas?16 votes
    1. Leave them closed as they are.
       13% (2 votes)
    2. Open them, but keep the mobs and quests removed.
       25% (4 votes)
    3. Open them, but don't allow mobs to drop anything/reward EXP.
       0% (0 votes)
    4. Open them fully without restrictions.
       63% (10 votes)

Comments

• ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited October 2018
    Those regions should never have been removed in the first place (they even closed a few regions saying they were being "renovated" - LOOKING AT YOU NEO CITY - but never reopened). However, having dead content is just as bad. What's the point of having maps of regions with absolutely nothing in it? Having useless content in the game just bloats it more, so no they shouldn't add it back with nothing in them.

Best case scenario would have been if they scaled everything to how meso and exp is scaled in KMS regions (this is, of course, assuming they would have closed it anyway if this wasn't done). Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done for the removed content other than the hope that they might one day backtrack this decision or re-open some of the old content again.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited October 2018
    I kept getting the undroppable Time Travellers Pocket Watch dropping in Minar Forest, even though Tera Forest has been locked for ages. And apparently you can still buy tickets to Singapore.
    Could we at least get the content closed off properly?
    xparasite9FuhreakLaicalassecrimson24
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited October 2018
    HousePet wrote: »
    I kept getting the undroppable Time Travellers Pocket Watch dropping in Minar Forest, even though Tera Forest has been locked for ages. And apparently you can still buy tickets to Singapore.
    Could we at least get the content closed off properly?

that would require effort, something the director doesn't want to spend on old things. gotta pump out hamfisted cliché supernazi elves stories because that brings in the star wars audience or something