[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

new mechanic is horrible

TharRandomPersonTharRandomPerson
Reactions: 205
in Rants and Raves
so i remember back then when mechanic had like 5-6 summon skills
and then they come along and possibly removed about 2 summoning skills, along with a couple of really simple skills
and i'm just like
"what is the explanation here?"
i seriously cannot find their memo on this
but honestly
i preferred having drones fly around the place and shoot people over some missile that only hits 4 targets
and although the stationary cannon may be the replacement, i feel that it is too generic and is basically a downgraded version of jett's turret

i feel that old mechanic was better simply because they had more summoning skills, which was one of the biggest gimmicks of mechanic (being a zoner and all)
i hope they'll one day revamp him again so that he'd have more summoning skills

(also i just don't like it when classes have 2-3 passives for 1 skill)

if anyone could explain why they got removed in the first place please post below
thanks

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Mechanic was revamped in v.160, the first part of the Black Heaven update (along with all other Resistance characters at the time).
    It was changed during Nexon's efforts to add more variety to classes (at the time, many users complained that classes were too similar, all sporting laser attacks of varying colors). Mechanics in particular lacked any sort of real gimmick, as summons provided only minimal bonus damage to mobs. As such, Nexon focused on making summons more important (by tying maximum damage output to the number of robots summoned), not necessarily making more summons.
    Other skills, like Giant Robot SG-88, were also affected (Giant Robot was not only made into a summon, but also added the bonus of negating %HP damage by half, making attacks like Crimson Queen's breath survivable).

Only one summoned robot was removed, and even then not really. The Acceleration Bot EX-7 and Healing Robot H-LX were combined into the more practical Support Unit: H-EX (party heal+enemy debuff). Further, instead of speeding up enemies, it debuffs enemy defense entirely. It also grants 10% final damage in 4th job.

Robo Launcher RM7 (the turret) deals higher %damage than Jett's turret (250% damage for 60 seconds plus 400% self-destruct damage, versus a flat 200% damage for 30 seconds). In addition, Mechanic's Robot Mastery skill increases damage the more robots you have summoned at a given time.

Mechanics never had drones that flew around. We had Satellites, but these summons barely did any damage (270% maximum) and did not always absorb damage as they should have. The 5th job skill Doomsday Device is functionally equivalent to the old Satellites, but with objectively better damage (400% 6 times for gattling fire, 600% 3 times for missiles) and the added bonus that the OHKO-absorption actually works. It also hits more mobs; Satellites only ever hit one mob at a time, very slowly.
    I'm assuming by "some missile that only hits 4 targets" you're referring to Homing Beacon. Homing Beacon is a supplemental skill to damage, but not the primary mobbing skill. I recommend binding the Homing Beacon skill next to your Heavy/AP Salvo Plus key for ease of use, you'll find using Homing Beacon deals far more damage than Satellites ever did (350% damage per rocket, and an additional +5 rockets with the 4th job skill Homing Beacon Research). Homing Beacon is also usable during the 5th job skill Full Metal Barrage, which is very nice.
  • TharRandomPersonTharRandomPerson
    Reactions: 205
    edited December 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    Mechanic was revamped in v.160, the first part of the Black Heaven update (along with all other Resistance characters at the time).
    It was changed during Nexon's efforts to add more variety to classes (at the time, many users complained that classes were too similar, all sporting laser attacks of varying colors). Mechanics in particular lacked any sort of real gimmick, as summons provided only minimal bonus damage to mobs. As such, Nexon focused on making summons more important (by tying maximum damage output to the number of robots summoned), not necessarily making more summons.
    Other skills, like Giant Robot SG-88, were also affected (Giant Robot was not only made into a summon, but also added the bonus of negating %HP damage by half, making attacks like Crimson Queen's breath survivable).

Only one summoned robot was removed, and even then not really. The Acceleration Bot EX-7 and Healing Robot H-LX were combined into the more practical Support Unit: H-EX (party heal+enemy debuff). Further, instead of speeding up enemies, it debuffs enemy defense entirely. It also grants 10% final damage in 4th job.

Robo Launcher RM7 (the turret) deals higher %damage than Jett's turret (250% damage for 60 seconds plus 400% self-destruct damage, versus a flat 200% damage for 30 seconds). In addition, Mechanic's Robot Mastery skill increases damage the more robots you have summoned at a given time.

Mechanics never had drones that flew around. We had Satellites, but these summons barely did any damage (270% maximum) and did not always absorb damage as they should have. The 5th job skill Doomsday Device is functionally equivalent to the old Satellites, but with objectively better damage (400% 6 times for gattling fire, 600% 3 times for missiles) and the added bonus that the OHKO-absorption actually works. It also hits more mobs; Satellites only ever hit one mob at a time, very slowly.
    I'm assuming by "some missile that only hits 4 targets" you're referring to Homing Beacon. Homing Beacon is a supplemental skill to damage, but not the primary mobbing skill. I recommend binding the Homing Beacon skill next to your Heavy/AP Salvo Plus key for ease of use, you'll find using Homing Beacon deals far more damage than Satellites ever did (350% damage per rocket, and an additional +5 rockets with the 4th job skill Homing Beacon Research). Homing Beacon is also usable during the 5th job skill Full Metal Barrage, which is very nice.

mk so maybe after that it's not as bad as i thought, but i still feel like homing beacon is like some variant of Xenon's missiles (unless that doesn't exist anymore, but just the fact that it usually launches up to four)

also jett's turret is significantly faster and can turn so there's that
    i do have to point out that it's still really bland at even second job and maybe the developers should look into that as to not discourage people playing mechanic
    (1-2 summons (i don't know i have horrible memory) 2nd job, despite summoning and zoning being the literal core of mechanic here)

also i'm sorry if i lacked like basic information this data was compiled from me playing Maplestory a long while ago and me about 2 weeks ago with level 70 mechanic
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Typically people consider 4th job to be when classes really get going, and many classes can vary depending on their job number. For example, I found Buccaneer to be irritating to train until 4th job, same with Dual Blade.

Of course, if you don't like the class there is always the option to switch; you can always take a break from playing a particular character until you feel more like playing it, or wait until a Burning event comes along so you can level the character you dislike faster.