[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Maplestory Game Client Trojan found?

hyacahyaca
Reactions: 1,050
edited December 2018 in General Chat
Hello everyone. A while ago I was using a certain antivirus program that I won't name, which is extremely good at finding trojans, and somewhere in the maplestory installation, it found one. Is this a false positive? The game wouldn't run until I formatted my pc and reinstalled it without that antivirus scanning it. It must be a false positive, I mean why would maple have a trojan in it.

Discuss.
All forum rules apply.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    It's likely a false positive. I have both MalwareBytes and Avira installed with no exclusions on either program. I also specifically ran a scan through MalwareBytes of my Nexon folder to verify.
    HNzewVq.png

If you're worried, you can try deleting all game and launcher files, uninstalling the game and launcher, and downloading a fresh copy.
    Or you can install the game through Steam.
    Both of these options would guarantee a fresh installation, unless your computer was infected elsewhere.

There is no trojan in the game files themselves.
  • hyacahyaca
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited December 2018
    I could repeat installing the game and then scanning it, and share exactly what pops up, if you'd like?

I used trojan guarder gold, which is pretty accurate. If you don't believe me, scan it with that. edit: You will probably have to format your computer and reinstall the game if you want it to run afterwards though...
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    hyaca wrote: »
    I could repeat installing the game and then scanning it, and share exactly what pops up, if you'd like?

I used trojan guarder gold, which is pretty accurate. If you don't believe me, scan it with that. edit: You will probably have to format your computer and reinstall the game if you want it to run afterwards though...

No, I'm fairly confident in MalwareBytes.

Additionally, I cannot find any site for "Trojan Guarder Gold" which isn't from a file distribution network, which I'm generally inclined not to trust. I also cannot seem to find a screenshot of this software which isn't running on Windows Vista or XP, which is rather questionable.
    If you're sure this software is trustworthy then you can continue using it, but my scans indicate no such trojan.