[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why is multi-boxing still not allowed?

AngelicFortuneAngelicFortune
Reactions: 400
edited January 2019 in General Chat
Honestly it makes no sense considering the top 1k players half of them use VMware and the other half are just rich people with multiple computers. its silly just let me have a mule i don't want to use VMware and i'm not buying another PC just for maplestory.

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Try making friends. This is an MMO for a reason.
    Nexon is trying to move away from the "just turn on a VM/Second PC" meta, or at least so it seems.
  • AngelicFortuneAngelicFortune
    edited January 2019
    "This is an MMO for a reason." doesn't work with reboot its literally single player. Whenever they make trading a thing on reboot is when i will care about other players i just want to level up alts for link skills.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    "This is an MMO for a reason." doesn't work with reboot its literally single player. Whenever they make trading a thing on reboot is when i will care about other players i just want to level up alts for link skills.

It's not "literally single player", there are believe it or not, people who actually play with other people.
    One of the key points of an MMO is to play with other people. To play and grow alongside of them. (Even without trading)
    If you don't care about other players, I can't help but think you're playing the wrong kind of game.
    DarkPassenger
  • AngelicFortuneAngelicFortune
    edited January 2019
    Yes one of the key points is playing with other people but there is not a reason to. I can't farm mats with a friend then sell them, buy stuff or merch. its literally an IRONMAN in any other game you cannot interact with other people with a benefit aside from better xp maybe kill a boss.

MMO doesn't mean you have to play with other people when i play WoW i prefer to solo quest and farm mats only time i really interact with other people is raiding or trading same with most games. perfect example is runescape my HC IRONMAN i have chats disabled because im solo aside from raids i have 0 benefit to interacting with people its solo aside from end game the same as reboot.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Nexon is trying to move away from the "just turn on a VM/Second PC" meta, or at least so it seems.

There are not nearly enough people who main the support classes, for everyone who needs or wants them.
    This has always been the case.
    Even back in the days of busy servers and flourishing party quests, people would have their own HS mules on a secondary account. For many years it was possible to run multiple Maple clients on one machine, by using different Windows users. Then Nexon blocked that, and people had no (non-rule-breaking) choice but to use a second computer for it. Which was still much more convenient than trying to coordinate with another person, or wake them up if they fell asleep on the rope between HS casts.

I believe the multi-clienting restriction was meant to slow down botters. However, as we know, hackers have their own bypasses and can run dozens of "clientless bots" on the same computer easily. It is only the rule-abiding users who are being put at a disadvantage if they don't have another computer.
    SlicedTime
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

There are not nearly enough people who main the support classes, for everyone who needs or wants them.
    This has always been the case.
    -snip-

This isn't just a Maplestory thing, this is true regardless of which game you play, supply rarely ever meets demand.
    -snip- its literally an IRONMAN -snip-

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Again, believe it or not there are people who still play in parties every now and then.
    Reboot does not lock out most features of Maplestory's social aspect. Players just don't really use them in the first place.

I think if we want to "save" Maplestory, we need to stop pushing this "solo play" agenda.
    If you're one of the people that believe that Maplestory is dying, well I hate to tell you, but we (the players) are the ones killing it.
    I believe this is why Nexon has multi-client disabled. (To combat solo-play)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    I think if we want to "save" Maplestory, we need to stop pushing this "solo play" agenda.
    If you're one of the people that believe that Maplestory is dying, well I hate to tell you, but we (the players) are the ones killing it.
    I believe this is why Nexon has multi-client disabled. (To combat solo-play)

Multi-clienting was disabled in v0.95, in January 2011.
    This was long before the "maple is dying due to solo play" issue.
    It was also not announced in the update notes, which strengthens the assumption that it was done to block massively multi-clienting botters.

If Nexon didn't want people using buff mules, the least they could do was add a "you are only allowed one game account" line to the ToU. They never did, in all these years. Having multiple accounts, or using them simultaneously (if you have enough computers), has never been stated or even hinted to be forbidden. In fact, when someone gets banned, they are outright told by Support that they are welcome to make a new account and play fair, this time.

Nexon is the one destroying party play, not players. It started with the damage gap between funded and unfunded becoming too wide for them to party meaningfully, and continued with map-clearing skills and mobility that make sharing a map without "kill-stealing" nearly impossible. In KMS that's even worse due to slower spawn rate. But Nexon Korea hates leeches so much, that they are willing to destroy honest party-play just to prevent leeching. From Runes not being shared, through Blockbuster content being strictly solo, party quests giving no worthwhile rewards, event maps where you can't party even if you're in the same map, and finally the Black Mage content featuring you as the one Adversary who can fight the Black Mage (while the entire Alliance seems to exist for the sole purpose of getting you there), it all promotes a solo-centered view of the game. You are Legion, and the "people" who support you are your own alts.

Yes, people will opt for the convenience of self-buffing when possible. Restricting this convenience only to people who have multiple computers, or are willing to cheat, is not fair.
    In my opinion.
    SlicedTimeFennekinArgent
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

Multi-clienting was disabled in v0.95, in January 2011.
    This was long before the "maple is dying due to solo play" issue.
    It was also not announced in the update notes, which strengthens the assumption that it was done to block massively multi-clienting botters.

If Nexon didn't want people using buff mules, the least they could do was add a "you are only allowed one game account" line to the ToU. They never did, in all these years. Having multiple accounts, or using them simultaneously (if you have enough computers), has never been stated or even hinted to be forbidden. In fact, when someone gets banned, they are outright told by Support that they are welcome to make a new account and play fair, this time.
    Fair I guess. I meant in the current game, I think this is why it's still enabled. But this is more likely to Nexon not wanting to change.
    Nexon is the one destroying party play, not players. It started with the damage gap between funded and unfunded becoming too wide for them to party meaningfully, and continued with map-clearing skills and mobility that make sharing a map without "kill-stealing" nearly impossible. In KMS that's even worse due to slower spawn rate. But Nexon Korea hates leeches so much, that they are willing to destroy honest party-play just to prevent leeching. From Runes not being shared, through Blockbuster content being strictly solo, party quests giving no worthwhile rewards, event maps where you can't party even if you're in the same map, and finally the Black Mage content featuring you as the one Adversary who can fight the Black Mage (while the entire Alliance seems to exist for the sole purpose of getting you there), it all promotes a solo-centered view of the game. You are Legion, and the "people" who support you are your own alts.
    Have to disagree here. This is just Nexon giving people what they want. It's all power fantasy. If players wanted party play badly enough, they would party regardless of it being slower or faster.
    Given a friend playing the same game as me, I always party, even if there is absolutely no reason to.
    Nexon might be the one not changing party play, but we are the one not giving them a reason to. (Probably more KMS than GMS)
    Yes, people will opt for the convenience of self-buffing when possible. Restricting this convenience only to people who have multiple computers, or are willing to cheat, is not fair.
    In my opinion.
    Fair as well. If it's going to be allowed, then there's no reason you can't allow it all on the same computer.
    Though I'd argue the only thing you're doing is cheating yourself out of having fun with friends.
  • VM9797VM9797
    Reactions: 920
    edited January 2019
    Have to disagree here. This is just Nexon giving people what they want. It's all power fantasy. If players wanted party play badly enough, they would party regardless of it being slower or faster.
    Given a friend playing the same game as me, I always party, even if there is absolutely no reason to.
    Nexon might be the one not changing party play, but we are the one not giving them a reason to. (Probably more KMS than GMS)
    Yes, people want power fantasy, but they also want party play. But most importantly: People want to be effective. Most people I know started playing MapleStory as a kid. And we're grown ups now. Work, university, and family eats up lot of time. We want to make the time count in MapleStory. So we need to sacrifice a few things, like party play. Sure no one is forcing us, but the less time you have, the more effective you want to spend your remaining time. That's why people go single in CLP on 4x EXP buying Frenzy service. They want to blaze trough the grinding process. If you team up, you can cut your rates dramatically.

I think an optimal (well not optimal for the servers) solution would be instanced but still shared maps. Just like the Black Mage event maps, with a few tweaks.
    You should be able to party, while being at the same maps. Mobs would be instanced, so are runes. Elite bosses could be shared. You could buff your friends, still socialize. Frenzy (and Kishin?) should be instanced too, making it non share-able. Why, you ask? Because it ruins the market. People, who presumably own a huge load of money (IRL) can cash trough all the paywalls, and can get their hands on a Frenzy totem. They already can beat every boss, making them the richest in-game. And them selling frenzy service just pumps the money from less powerful/funded players towards them. Several low-funded friends of mine spend most of their mesos on Frenzy service, because it hugely impacts your grinding.

Ok I was a bit off track in the end, but I still think Nexon needs to mix effectiveness with social play. I know this is hard to implement and maintain, but I think it's them who need to take a step towards social play, not the players (since we're limited by the game and our lives).
    SlicedTimeFuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    VM9797 wrote: »
    Yes, people want power fantasy, but they also want party play. But most importantly: People want to be effective. Most people I know started playing MapleStory as a kid. And we're grown ups now. Work, university, and family eats up lot of time. We want to make the time count in MapleStory. So we need to sacrifice a few things, like party play. Sure no one is forcing us, but the less time you have, the more effective you want to spend your remaining time. That's why people go single in CLP on 4x EXP buying Frenzy service. They want to blaze trough the grinding process. If you team up, you can cut your rates dramatically.
    I would still argue that players are a major part in this problem. As kids we didn't care about being "effective."
    If you're sacrificing party play for effectiveness, then how about just doing the reverse?
    I'd much rather play in a party than be effective. Being in a party gives me more reasons to play anyway, which actually makes me more effective.
    As Maplestory grew, so did the average age and mindset of the players. Nexon just adapted to what these players wanted.
    Nexon is still to blame for at least half of this issue. But that doesn't mean players haven't played their part in this.
    I think an optimal (well not optimal for the servers) solution would be instanced but still shared maps. Just like the Black Mage event maps, with a few tweaks.
    You should be able to party, while being at the same maps. Mobs would be instanced, so are runes. Elite bosses could be shared. You could buff your friends, still socialize. Frenzy (and Kishin?) should be instanced too, making it non share-able. Why, you ask? Because it ruins the market. People, who presumably own a huge load of money (IRL) can cash trough all the paywalls, and can get their hands on a Frenzy totem. They already can beat every boss, making them the richest in-game. And them selling frenzy service just pumps the money from less powerful/funded players towards them. Several low-funded friends of mine spend most of their mesos on Frenzy service, because it hugely impacts your grinding.
    I agree with this. The big maps are fun to party play on imo, but it's hard to find people who actually want to do that.
    A "grind center" would be a welcomed way of grinding for me. I like being part of those rooms where people actually talk.
    An easy way of removing a lot of party stigma would be to bring back the exp/item settings for parties.
    Ok I was a bit off track in the end, but I still think Nexon needs to mix effectiveness with social play. I know this is hard to implement and maintain, but I think it's them who need to take a step towards social play, not the players (since we're limited by the game and our lives).
    As I've said before, I think we both (Nexon and players) need to work towards being more social.
    Rather than CC the instant you see someone already in the map, invite them or ask them to a party.
    Even if they decline you, at least you can say you tried.
    I'm not trying to insult players here, or claim that Nexon is perfection incarnate.
    It just pains me to see the game take such an anti-social turn, when really not that much has changed other than meta.
    I know I have the unpopular opinion, but I really do think that this is a problem that players can fix just by not always playing alone.
    Even if that means they might lose out on some EXP/Items here and there.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Would love to be able to log in NA and EU at the same time..
  • hyacahyaca
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited January 2019
    Yes one of the key points is playing with other people but there is not a reason to.

I gave a friend kishin in return for helping me do hellux, so theres that...

You can meso farm more efficiently if you do it with a friend, by you attacking the mobs while the friend runs around the map and picks up so that you don't have to, and swap roles when you get bored (if they are a kanna as well,) will have a video up soon on that. There are still plenty of reasons to party up, even though there is no shared exp anymore, which is a big mistake for the game that they made btw.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited January 2019

People had no problem being in a party when being in a party actually gave more EXP being in a full party than being in a party of 1 (no party). LHC, Drill Hall 1&2, and HoH was direct proof of that. The problem was that they designed the maps too small and it was small enough that 1 person could solo and leech the whole party. Nexon tends to overdo their nerfs and more than not harm more parts of the game than necessary. They lowered leech exp but also totally removed party play bonus exp entirely for the longest time before bringing it back to maps players don't even go to nowadays and have no reason to because there's no high level content that has party play maps where you can actually stay in the area more than a few minutes without out leveling the area's monsters.

Bring back true party play in areas with big maps like Arcane River where party exp increases like 10% per additional party member and we might start to see people forming parties again. Just allow an idle penalty that lowers exp gain for players that mooch exp.
    SlicedTime
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    AznboiE wrote: »
    People had no problem being in a party when being in a party actually gave more EXP being in a full party than being in a party of 1 (no party). LHC, Drill Hall 1&2, and HoH was direct proof of that. The problem was that they designed the maps too small and it was small enough that 1 person could solo and leech the whole party. Nexon tends to overdo their nerfs and more than not harm more parts of the game than necessary. They lowered leech exp but also totally removed party play bonus exp entirely for the longest time before bringing it back to maps players don't even go to nowadays and have no reason to because there's no high level content that has party play maps where you can actually stay in the area more than a few minutes without out leveling the area's monsters.

Bring back true party play in areas with big maps like Arcane River where party exp increases like 10% per additional party member and we might start to see people forming parties again. Just allow an idle penalty that lowers exp gain for players that mooch exp.
    I will agree Nexon hits hard with changes to the game. But I still think being in a party is worth it.
    You might go a little slower, but for the most part it's about the same.
    Honestly if people are wanting to grind more efficiently, I don't see why they aren't making parties left and right.
    Being in a party of people who kill about the same speed as you allows you to just cover a smaller area/platform.
    You actually get about the same exp for being lazy and talking to people. Sounds win/win to me.

Awhile back, I made a guide showing that this isn't as bad as people think.
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/22204/party-exp-calculator-google-sheets#latest
    Even if it's slightly slower, I say party up and go grind.