[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Why doesn't Nexon shut down private server streams

SolitonSoliton
Reactions: 415
Member, Private Tester
edited January 2019 in General Chat
Lately the maplestory category on twitch is flooded with OSM streamers and taking viewers from legit streamers. It's relatively simple for a publisher to submit a takedown notice to twitch for this but only Nexon can do so. Why isn't someone taking a few minutes to do this? Seems like it would be a boon to the game to clean up the category.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    You can help by reporting these streamers to Nexon in a Customer Support ticket.
    Fuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    This seems a bit petty imo, MapleStory already has such little viewer count.
    Personally I'll take any public awareness generated for the game.
    It can potentially take away from MapleStory, but I'd say the numbers are low.
    Since AKradian suggests reporting them, I'd say Nexon does indeed care, so have at it.
    We should probably treed carefully here, as talking about private servers is against forum rules.
    Since the official Twitch has decent viewership, are there any plans in the works to incorporate more regular players into the stream?
    I know ZeroByDivide has been featured in the past, as well as there was a "Learn this class" type video series which I think featured regular players.
    YinYangX
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited January 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    This seems a bit petty imo, MapleStory already has such little viewer count.
    Personally I'll take any public awareness generated for the game.
    It can potentially take away from MapleStory, but I'd say the numbers are low.
    Since AKradian suggests reporting them, I'd say Nexon does indeed care, so have at it.
    We should probably treed carefully here, as talking about private servers is against forum rules.
    Since the official Twitch has decent viewership, are there any plans in the works to incorporate more regular players into the stream?
    I know ZeroByDivide has been featured in the past, as well as there was a "Learn this class" type video series which I think featured regular players.

If something is against the rules they should be ban. I mean some people get ban for things not written in the rules from what you said private servers is against rules, so yea it definitely should be ban if it's written down in the tos. Its not petty if its against the rules whats petty is banning someone for something not written in tos thats petty. nexon deserves to have streamers who are legit and if zerobydivide supported him and was on his ch that says enough >.<
    Soliton wrote: »
    Lately the maplestory category on twitch is flooded with OSM streamers and taking viewers from legit streamers. It's relatively simple for a publisher to submit a takedown notice to twitch for this but only Nexon can do so. Why isn't someone taking a few minutes to do this? Seems like it would be a boon to the game to clean up the category.

yea man a lot of us out here love great content from legit players and some of us don't participate in shady business we rather have 100 players whos legit then 1000000 who isn't. thats what shows people the value of players is what they allow and not allow. if they let a person like that be the face of the company on twitch it says alot.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    riza wrote: »
    If something is against the rules they should be ban. I mean some people get ban for things not written in the rules from what you said private servers is against rules, so yea it definitely should be ban if it's written down in the tos. Its not petty if its against the rules whats petty is banning someone for something not written in tos thats petty. nexon deserves to have streamers who are legit and if zerobydivide supported him and was on his ch that says enough >.<
    I was calling it petty because it's a service outside of Nexon.
    Some people depend on these services for their livelihood. To attack their ability to stream is potentially attacking their ability to survive. That's petty.
    However upon reading Twitch's community guidelines, you will find it is against them to stream private servers.
    They knew (or should have known) what they were getting into and the risks involved. Thus, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
    yea man a lot of us out here love great content from legit players and some of us don't participate in shady business we rather have 100 players whos legit then 1000000 who isn't. thats what shows people the value of players is what they allow and not allow. if they let a person like that be the face of the company on twitch it says alot.
    But we don't have a 100:1000000 ratio. Extreme hyperbole isn't a good way to represent issues.
    It is becoming a problem that Nexon should axe now rather than letting it build though.
    If they allow the issue to continue it will blow up in their face.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited January 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    riza wrote: »
    I was calling it petty because it's a service outside of Nexon.
    Some people depend on these services for their livelihood. To attack their ability to stream is potentially attacking their ability to survive. That's petty.
    However upon reading Twitch's community guidelines, you will find it is against them to stream private servers.
    They knew (or should have known) what they were getting into and the risks involved. Thus, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
    But we don't have a 100:1000000 ratio. Extreme hyperbole isn't a good way to represent issues.
    It is becoming a problem that Nexon should axe now rather than letting it build though.
    If they allow the issue to continue it will blow up in their face.

How is attacking their stream attacking their lively hood? If something is against the term of service then its wrong and not good, and unethical to do to help your lively hood wouldn't you think. wouldn't you want to do it the right way and have a great lively hood then do it the wrong way smh.

yea like I said taking care of the issue shutting it down and having people play with the values of the game that the designers wanted and plan for all along is what will make this game great again. I have seen a few people who never scam hack or done non of that "shoutout to streetfight most legit mapler" who plays this game the way the creators wanted it to be played. now if you agree we should bring it back and clean up the game I support the idea as well. now if Nexon chooses to leave it be I mean there's always other great and legit solid fair games out there :D . but again it's their choice and whatever they want is what we get.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    I actually asked arwoo about this on discord near the beginning of the year, the short version of events is "it takes a while"
    FuhreakYinYangXPetalmagic
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited January 2019
    Here's some food for thought: Why has nexon refused to hop on the nostalgia bandwagon?

If they started an official old school server, it would essentially kill off all these private servers for good, put an end to old school maple discussions which have plagued these forums for so long, and can actually be marketable to a massive audience (the twitch viewership for these private servers is just a small sample of what we can expect from an official pre-bb server).
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2019
    ShadEight wrote: »
    Here's some food for thought: Why has nexon refused to hop on the nostalgia bandwagon?

If they started an official old school server, it would essentially kill off all these private servers for good, put an end to old school maple discussions which have plagued these forums for so long, and can actually be marketable to a massive audience (the twitch viewership for these private servers is just a small sample of what we can expect from an official pre-bb server).

Because no one can agree on what version to use. Everyone just says exactly what you did: pre-bb. How pre-bb does everyone want? Before the actual "big bang" update? Before dual blades? Evan? Before cygnus knights or even pirates? Before ossyria?

Where would the upkeep costs, or initial funding, come from? Normal server nx sales? How do you know they make enough to cover costs of running the current servers and a new batch? What if everyone plays on the "old school"(quotes because everyone has a different definition of it) server for two or three weeks then gets bored and returns to the regular servers?
    Fuhreak
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited January 2019
    If they shut it down, another will just take its place like a hydra's head. OSM is just the new MapleGlobal (which got shut down by nexon last year). All but 1 of the top 10 private servers at the moment are pre big bang and it's arguably pulling in more numbers than active legits in GMS (collectively). I feel like nexon is missing a big opportunity here.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited January 2019
    pepe wrote: »
    If they shut it down, another will just take its place like a hydra's head. OSM is just the new MapleGlobal (which got shut down by nexon last year). All but 1 of the top 10 private servers at the moment are pre big bang and it's arguably pulling in more numbers than active legits in GMS (collectively). I feel like nexon is missing a big opportunity here.

Teeeeeechnically talking about legacy servers is against the rules...I personally wouldn't play one for more than the luls. Games grow and change, sometimes in ways you don't like...that's just how it works.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Because no one can agree on what version to use. Everyone just says exactly what you did: pre-bb. How pre-bb does everyone want? Before the actual "big bang" update? Before dual blades? Evan? Before cygnus knights or even pirates? Before ossyria?

Yes they can lmao. Either start from scratch (0.1) or during the golden age (0.6~0.8). They may even just synthesize a new version from various patches. We all know what we mean by pre-bb, this can't possibly be the one obstacle preventing an official old school server from existing.

Where would the upkeep costs, or initial funding, come from? Normal server nx sales? How do you know they make enough to cover costs of running the current servers and a new batch?

Why exactly would normal maple fund old maple? Nexon creates/publishes games (in this case a game that's already made). If there's a market, there's a product.

What if everyone plays on the "old school"(quotes because everyone has a different definition of it) server for two or three weeks then gets bored and returns to the regular servers?

Then they get bored doing dailies for two or three weeks and go back to old school servers. Honestly hypothetical scenarios like this are just pointless and a complete waste of time to ponder on.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2019
    Yes they can lmao. Either start from scratch (0.1) or during the golden age (0.6~0.8). They may even just synthesize a new version from various patches. We all know what we mean by pre-bb, this can't possibly be the one obstacle preventing an official old school server from existing.

Yes, we all do know what is meant by "pre-bb". The problem, as I said before and you seem to have missed the point of, is that no one can come to a consensus on what version to use. Different people have different opinions and viewpoints on what constitutes "the good old days".
    Why exactly would normal maple fund old maple? Nexon creates/publishes games (in this case a game that's already made). If there's a market, there's a product.

You realize there are costs of upkeep associated with running servers in a production environment, right? Not to mention you'd need to hire on additional employees in order to oversee the goings-on of this new environment.
    Then they get bored doing dailies for two or three weeks and go back to old school servers. Honestly hypothetical scenarios like this are just pointless and a complete waste of time to ponder on.

Do you mean to tell me that you're hedging this whole thing on "if you get bored of one thing, do the other"? If people get bored of maple, they simply go play something else. No one's going to get bored of dailies on the normal servers and think "gosh I'm bored, I think I'll go grind for three hours to get 4% at level 30".
    Honestly hypothetical scenarios like this are just pointless and a complete waste of time to ponder on.

So why, then, are we talking about this? A server like this being run by nexon is just as hypothetical as all of the problems with it, so I ask you again: why, by your own statements, are we talking about something that is pointless and a complete waste of time to ponder on?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Since this has begun to just degrade into a legacy server discussion with the added bonus of talking about illegal private servers, I'm closing this thread.

If you see one of these streams, you can report it to Nexon first and foremost and you can also report the stream directly to Twitch, as it violates their rules as well.
    That is all.
    Fuhreak
This discussion has been closed.