[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Current state of the game, is MS becoming a chore?

darikdarik
Reactions: 3,270
edited January 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So i was scrolling down on reddit and saw this amazing post made by someone called Scardor with which i identificate in nearly everything so i felt i had to post it here so that it has a bigger impact and to hope that someone from nexon reads it and decides to improve the game.

Dear Ghiblee and Nexon team, I would like to share these concerns on behalf of myself and the End-game players who are very anxious and reluctant to make long-term commitments to Maplestory right now.

The uncertainty of what is happening with Kanna and the time-gating on Arcane Power in the Arcane River area and with End-game bosses make it very difficult at the moment to make any long-term commitments to the game. This game has always been a long-term toil, but with the possibility of hundreds of hours invested in a Kanna becoming useless and switching to another character (especially in Reboot) being pretty non-viable right now because of the necessary time to build up Arcane Power, this toll has become harder and harder on players who are willing to put the time in. Many classes in this game are fun to play, but we simply don't have the time to give them a try.

Though we value the merit-based nature of Reboot a lot, it also comes with these problems when it comes to character switching. With the game moving more and more in the direction of account-wide progression (with link skills and Legion growth being very important progression tools), it seems the game has trouble keeping up with rewarding players for playing these multiple characters. The heavy cost of having to do daily Arcane River quests for sometimes multiple hours a day just to keep more than one character viable, or even keep the option open of SOME DAY playing that character, takes away from the overall enjoyment of the game.

This time-gating and slow sense of progression can definitely be a part of the game, but right now it is being a majority of the play times, essentially turning Maplestory into a chore, rather than a fun pass-time.

I like this game. I think it's fun, but less and less so every day. I want the game to do well, I want it to succeed. If anyone agrees and wants to add on this or disagrees and has a good counter point, please let me know and we can have civil discussion so that we can help move this game forward in a successful direction.

Thanks for reading,

Scardor

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    You're rarely going to find an mmo that doesn't feel like a chore after a certain point. Because past that point, you're beholden to dailies and weeklies.
    Fuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    If I play an MMO, I actually want that feeling of never being done. It gives me something to do.
    I don't know why the west seems to have this notion that it needs to be a cake walk.
    I'd argue this is exactly why MMOs aren't popular over here, that the people in charge tend to dumb things down for the west too much.
    But that's just my opinion.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited January 2019
    Disclaimer: Some of this will be a bit off on the details, as I'm still trying to catch up on 8 years of changes. What hasn't changed is interesting though.

I think we have a bad case of endgame creep here.
    Its standard practise for this sort of game to stretch the endgame out with challenges and daily quests, to keep players engaged instead of running out of content. (Although I don't quite see why they do that in some games with loads of different classes, such as this one...)
    However, it doesn't look like any of the daily grinds have been cut down at all when the game has been extended, other than exp gain.
    In its current state, the game looks like it has three separate endgame sections.
    Early Endgame: Around level 120-180. You start doing bosses daily, and there are areas with daily quests that get you better accessory equipment, and for some reason Mastery Books.
    Mid Endgame: Around level 180-200. You now need to do daily bosses, in addition to daily quests, to get better armour and weapons.
    Late Endgame: Levels 200-250ish. Rinse and repeat, but you also need Arcane Symbol Dailies.

Where has this gone wrong? Well it doesn't look like any of the grinds have been reduced when later ones are added.
    Two examples in the Early Endgame section:
    1) Mastery Books. These used to be there to slow progression when 4th job was the endgame. These were then changed to be not class specific, and made purchasable as an endgame gold sink. Since then, Starforce is now the endgame gold sink, and we are well past 4th job being endgame. Yet for some reason these haven't been removed.
    2) Shadow Merchant / Magnus Coins. There is no point collecting these coins. Its easier to get the items from killing Magnus. I wasn't around when this was added, so I'm not sure if this was pointless to start with. Luckily, you can completely ignore this one. Unfortunately, this one isn't alone. There is also the Monster Park and the Evolution System which have pointless grind coin shops.

Mid Endgame issues:
    I haven't got into these properly yet. All these events are distracting...
    However, judging by the rest of the game, you are going to be doing long grinds to get equipment that is superseded by Late Endgame grind equipment.

So while people might feel pleased about getting something that took ages of work to get, they really aren't going to be keen to repeat that long process a second time when they want to play a different class. And that doesn't even include Arcane Symbols...
    SlicedTimeHuskyDM
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited January 2019
    HousePet wrote: »
    Disclaimer: Some of this will be a bit off on the details, as I'm still trying to catch up on 8 years of changes. What hasn't changed is interesting though.

I think we have a bad case of endgame creep here.
    Its standard practise for this sort of game to stretch the endgame out with challenges and daily quests, to keep players engaged instead of running out of content. (Although I don't quite see why they do that in some games with loads of different classes, such as this one...)
    However, it doesn't look like any of the daily grinds have been cut down at all when the game has been extended, other than exp gain.
    In its current state, the game looks like it has three separate endgame sections.
    Early Endgame: Around level 120-180. You start doing bosses daily, and there are areas with daily quests that get you better accessory equipment, and for some reason Mastery Books.
    Mid Endgame: Around level 180-200. You now need to do daily bosses, in addition to daily quests, to get better armour and weapons.
    Late Endgame: Levels 200-250ish. Rinse and repeat, but you also need Arcane Symbol Dailies.

Where has this gone wrong? Well it doesn't look like any of the grinds have been reduced when later ones are added.
    Two examples in the Early Endgame section:
    1) Mastery Books. These used to be there to slow progression when 4th job was the endgame. These were then changed to be not class specific, and made purchasable as an endgame gold sink. Since then, Starforce is now the endgame gold sink, and we are well past 4th job being endgame. Yet for some reason these haven't been removed.
    2) Shadow Merchant / Magnus Coins. There is no point collecting these coins. Its easier to get the items from killing Magnus. I wasn't around when this was added, so I'm not sure if this was pointless to start with. Luckily, you can completely ignore this one. Unfortunately, this one isn't alone. There is also the Monster Park and the Evolution System which have pointless grind coin shops.

Mid Endgame issues:
    I haven't got into these properly yet. All these events are distracting...
    However, judging by the rest of the game, you are going to be doing long grinds to get equipment that is superseded by Late Endgame grind equipment.

So while people might feel pleased about getting something that took ages of work to get, they really aren't going to be keen to repeat that long process a second time when they want to play a different class. And that doesn't even include Arcane Symbols...

I have to admit that some dailies got cut down as u lv in arcane river, every town u progress in arcane river the quests behind the town get reduced by 1 , which is awesome.
    My issue is that there are a huge amount of dailies.
    KMS in a patch has lowered dailies and turned some into weeklies, but they give the equivalent of 3 days of dailies but in 1 weekly quest( for heaven and dark world tree) , that isnt a solution, if u want to make a daily quest weekly, give the rewards of 7 days of dailies, not only the rewards of 3 days, it makes no sense.
    SlicedTimeFuhreakHuskyDM
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited January 2019
    Possibly a better option for Dailies, is to make them three times per week, with increased rewards.
    This has the benefit of allowing people to miss some days, and catch up later. But without reducing the required effort too much.
    FuhreakHuskyDMdarik