[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why can't we be like them?

SuperSaiyan3SuperSaiyan3
Reactions: 985
edited February 2019 in General Chat
So I've been watching this guy from youtube and I ran into this video that show a few worlds in KMS, almost all of them with 40 channels, and every single channel is 100% full, now it might be wise to remind you that we had times when Bera managed to do the same thing but let's not forget that in Bera, you rarely run into legit players... and even if you go to popular places where people hang out, you still rarely find any legit players, but when you go and train, you can't even train, because the amount of botters is just unbelievable, which make you realize that maybe the majority are not really legit players...

So unlike GMS, in KMS, there are almost zero hackers, their security system works amazingly!

And yet, in this video, you're going to understand my question, "why can't we be like them?"

(Skip to 1:00)

HuskyDM

Comments

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited February 2019
    Well kms has a lot of features that GMs doesnt have, for example, the nx clothes they buy are perm, ehre they have expiration date, secondly theres no limit to buy water of life( i heard) , normal servers barely have hackers and have a very good economy and im sure there are a lot more better things they have that we dont.
    HOWEVER, they also have some huge disadvantages, like a really low tier up rate with cubes, grind fest its even bigger there than in GMS , no kishin, etc.
    Dont only look at the advantages, also consider the disadvantages of KMS which are quite a few.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Two major differences between Korea and Global:
    1. In Korea, you need to provide your real ID to register for games (or a Korean phone number, which you need your ID number to acquire).
    2. In Korea, it is illegal to hack video games.

Because of the requirement of ID/Phone, one hacker can't create an army of thousands of bots as easily as they do it in GMS.
    And if you are caught hacking, the game company knows who you are in the real world and can have you sent to jail for it.
    Naturally, this greatly reduces people's motivation to hack.

Why can't we be like that?
    GMS serves all of America (north and south), Europe, Oceania, the Middle East, and even Africa. It is not realistic to expect Nexon to be able to validate state ID's from all those places. I'm not even sure all countries in GMS' service region have a national ID system. As for phone verification, there are far too many services that generate fake phone numbers. Just google them.
    YinYangXdarikDarches
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    The issue has a lot of layers and I believe a lot of it has to do with the very poor management the GMS team has given to the game and the community

Let's take one thing out of the way first, MapleStory and pretty much any MMO is not going to be near as popular in the West as they are in Asian countries, much less Korea where their mobile and online gaming market are some of the most profitable, if not the most profitable gaming market of the entire planet. GMS will never be able to compete with KMS in terms of population, and it doesn't have to.

Now that doesn't mean that there aren't issues which do affect the population of GMS, because there are a lot. First off the fractured servers and their communities. You could see the servers of GMS as islands, some of which have a bigger population. Scania, Bera and Reboot of course are the biggest. Then you see the difference in population of those three compared to Windia, GRAZED, MYBKCN and Broa-Khaini and you see the issue. Those servers are empty. As a long time GRAZED player I can testify on the changes my servers has suffered across the years I've played. At this point there is no reason not to merge those servers into a single unified server in order to unify the severed population and make options for new players far more appealing, because who wants to play an MMO in an empty server anyway.

Then there is the hacker issue and GMS' neglect to even talk about it at any length. I'll be blunt and say the “Both” rank discussion that is taking place right now is a stupid waste of time when the game is falling apart because of way more important aspects. You can have that discussion when the game is working properly and right now it isn't. Hackers and bots are one important aspect of it. The usual answer is “its an issue to big to solve” and yes it is, specially in the West, but it is one thing to try to solve it an another very different one to try to mitigate it, and GMS hasn't even tried to mitigate it. Autobans and potion-blocking mobs are not enough. Sure there are ways to avoid verification in the West but they haven't even tried it at all. Have captchas, or phone verification that require a password to be added, or an app that constantly updates a security password like Steam Guard. You'll see that once an extra step has to be taken to keep hacking most people will stop, because most people don't want to take the extra step to do their stuff, and it doesn't matter if these people leave the game, chances are they didn't even wanted to play.

All of this culminates into what I think is the biggest problem that is harming GMS at the moment. The absolutely all time low morale of the playerbase. Who wants to keep on grinding on a game when the amount of work it takes is unbearable, the rewards negligible, and the fun non existing? There is no people to play with most of the time, you either have hackers taking the good spots to train or living on a desolate server that lacks any incentive to keep on going. Then you have useless discussions about frivolous aspects of the game and people at least once a week making a new thread on how the game is dead, there is no point, the service support is awful, hackers everywhere and not a single bit of care is given by whoever is managing the game at this point. Until a lot of this issues are at least talked about and players are given a sign that there is hope for the future of this game then our servers will keep getting empty.
    FuhreakmicrowavedarikSlicedTime
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    Sure there are ways to avoid verification in the West but they haven't even tried it at all. Have captchas, or phone verification that require a password to be added, or an app that constantly updates a security password like Steam Guard. You'll see that once an extra step has to be taken to keep hacking most people will stop, because most people don't want to take the extra step to do their stuff, and it doesn't matter if these people leave the game, chances are they didn't even wanted to play.

You're right that they didn't want to play.
    They wanted to make money, though.
    The vast majority of bots in GMS are operated by people looking to make real-world money off the game, by selling meso or items.
    They will go through whatever extra steps are needed, because it's their livelihood at stake.
    darik
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited February 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    Sure there are ways to avoid verification in the West but they haven't even tried it at all. Have captchas, or phone verification that require a password to be added, or an app that constantly updates a security password like Steam Guard. You'll see that once an extra step has to be taken to keep hacking most people will stop, because most people don't want to take the extra step to do their stuff, and it doesn't matter if these people leave the game, chances are they didn't even wanted to play.

The vast majority of bots in GMS are operated by people looking to make real-world money off the game, by selling meso or items.
    They will go through whatever extra steps are needed, because it's their livelihood at stake.

All the more reason to make it incredibly hard to hack the game. That way a lot of those people will go and take real jobs instead of making cash by scamming people on an online game aimed at children. I'm pretty sure there is legal action that can be taken here against those sites and hack software providers, Nintendo has done a lot of it in recent times (albeit it a little to extremely) to a degree of success.
    darik
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited February 2019
    The issue has a lot of layers and I believe a lot of it has to do with the very poor management the GMS team has given to the game and the community

Let's take one thing out of the way first, MapleStory and pretty much any MMO is not going to be near as popular in the West as they are in Asian countries, much less Korea where their mobile and online gaming market are some of the most profitable, if not the most profitable gaming market of the entire planet. GMS will never be able to compete with KMS in terms of population, and it doesn't have to.

Now that doesn't mean that there aren't issues which do affect the population of GMS, because there are a lot. First off the fractured servers and their communities. You could see the servers of GMS as islands, some of which have a bigger population. Scania, Bera and Reboot of course are the biggest. Then you see the difference in population of those three compared to Windia, GRAZED, MYBKCN and Broa-Khaini and you see the issue. Those servers are empty. As a long time GRAZED player I can testify on the changes my servers has suffered across the years I've played. At this point there is no reason not to merge those servers into a single unified server in order to unify the severed population and make options for new players far more appealing, because who wants to play an MMO in an empty server anyway.

Then there is the hacker issue and GMS' neglect to even talk about it at any length. I'll be blunt and say the “Both” rank discussion that is taking place right now is a stupid waste of time when the game is falling apart because of way more important aspects. You can have that discussion when the game is working properly and right now it isn't. Hackers and bots are one important aspect of it. The usual answer is “its an issue to big to solve” and yes it is, specially in the West, but it is one thing to try to solve it an another very different one to try to mitigate it, and GMS hasn't even tried to mitigate it. Autobans and potion-blocking mobs are not enough. Sure there are ways to avoid verification in the West but they haven't even tried it at all. Have captchas, or phone verification that require a password to be added, or an app that constantly updates a security password like Steam Guard. You'll see that once an extra step has to be taken to keep hacking most people will stop, because most people don't want to take the extra step to do their stuff, and it doesn't matter if these people leave the game, chances are they didn't even wanted to play.

All of this culminates into what I think is the biggest problem that is harming GMS at the moment. The absolutely all time low morale of the playerbase. Who wants to keep on grinding on a game when the amount of work it takes is unbearable, the rewards negligible, and the fun non existing? There is no people to play with most of the time, you either have hackers taking the good spots to train or living on a desolate server that lacks any incentive to keep on going. Then you have useless discussions about frivolous aspects of the game and people at least once a week making a new thread on how the game is dead, there is no point, the service support is awful, hackers everywhere and not a single bit of care is given by whoever is managing the game at this point. Until a lot of this issues are at least talked about and players are given a sign that there is hope for the future of this game then our servers will keep getting empty.

Couldnt agree more with u, specially the last part, although i believe they do make efforts to bann people, if you check announcement tab theres a lot of threads of banned hackers, but the issue is the low morale as u said but of the people who hack and that want to make profit off this game by hacking, instead of searching for a real job.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited February 2019

All the more reason to make it incredibly hard to hack the game. That way a lot of those people will go and take real jobs instead of making cash by scamming people on an online game aimed at children. I'm pretty sure there is legal action that can be taken here against those sites and hack software providers, Nintendo has done a lot of it in recent times (albeit it a little to extremely) to a degree of success.

Nexon actually has taken legal action in the past against hacking websites...it was years ago, and well...has much changed? unfortunately no. Nexon would need to do a lot of legal work to try and target all of the hackers, and even then, all it takes is one programmer who wants to make the game easier and you get the same problem all over again.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited February 2019
    Petalmagic wrote: »

Nexon actually has taken legal action in the past against hacking websites...it was years ago, and well...has much changed? unfortunately no. Nexon would need to do a lot of legal work to try and target all of the hackers, and even then, all it takes is one programmer who wants to make the game easier and you get the same problem all over again.

Its not easy, nor a permanent solution. Its very similar to bug testing on a continuously changing game, its not something you can do once and forget about it. With the hacking issue as bad as it is right now part of the dev team should be dedicated to check and patch whatever part of the code is allowing hackers to hack the game, and not just do it once and stop. Same thing with taking legal action, you can't just do it once and be done.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Well.. they have a stable and optimized client.. Some negative changes which happened in KMS like boss entry limits impacted us more as our bosses give exp. But otherwise it was when unleashed hit and the whole party quest aspect to level up kind of died. Most people left during Unleashed from what i saw. We had areas shut off that Korea didn't have likewise content. Although it's kind of odd how people still party quest alot in the Korean servers.. maybe we need something here that will make party quests relevant again

We have some bugs they clearly don't have .

I look back on my frustrations of the game thread.. what has been fixed from it? Some of it. But we have a fairy bros which isn't even every day some months. http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/16935/frustrated-about-the-state-of-the-game/p1
    HuskyDM