[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Marriage

Bakudan12345Bakudan12345
Reactions: 210
As a gay man who has played maple on and off for over a decade I am ashamed for Nexon in the fact that they only allow heteronormative marriages. It is 2019 and gay marriage is a normal part of society at this point. By allowing gay marriage in the game there would be no controversy at this point. Until male characters can marry male characters and female characters can marry female characters I will never personally spend the money to participate in a marriage. My point, in the long run, is that it is almost discriminatory that Nexon has not allowed same-sex marriages in their games.
aufeuz

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    The problem is that development decisions are for the most part(better than 90%) in the hands of nexon's parent company in South Korea. South Korea, according to Wikipedia, does not afford any sort of legal partnership to same-sex couples.

I'll agree that it would be a very minor change, and that it would probably take little, if any, work to actually enable, but the simple fact of the matter, unfortunately for you and everyone who feels the same as you, is that cultural differences are a thing, and you need to understand that not every country shares the same ideals as you or your own country.

On a personal note, I have never been able to see the reasoning behind people getting so up-in-arms and offended over the fact that <random foreign-made MMO> doesn't allow for same-sex marriage. It doesn't make you any less human that literally some random video game doesn't accommodate your sexual identity or orientation. Other than the armoria party quest, which gives onyx apples, there's really no tangible benefit to marriage in this particular game anyway, so I further see no need to make an issue of it.

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not trying to shame or silence you for being gay. What I'm trying to say is that, due to cultural differences between, say, the US and South Korea, this may be a pointless tree to bark up.
    HuskyDMSlicedTimeFuhreak
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    The problem is that development decisions are for the most part(better than 90%) in the hands of nexon's parent company in South Korea. South Korea, according to Wikipedia, does not afford any sort of legal partnership to same-sex couples.

I'll agree that it would be a very minor change, and that it would probably take little, if any, work to actually enable, but the simple fact of the matter, unfortunately for you and everyone who feels the same as you, is that cultural differences are a thing, and you need to understand that not every country shares the same ideals as you or your own country.

On a personal note, I have never been able to see the reasoning behind people getting so up-in-arms and offended over the fact that <random foreign-made MMO> doesn't allow for same-sex marriage. It doesn't make you any less human that literally some random video game doesn't accommodate your sexual identity or orientation. Other than the armoria party quest, which gives onyx apples, there's really no tangible benefit to marriage in this particular game anyway, so I further see no need to make an issue of it.

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not trying to shame or silence you for being gay. What I'm trying to say is that, due to cultural differences between, say, the US and South Korea, this may be a pointless tree to bark up.

Mabinogi would like to have a word with you. (Unless they disabled that ability, you can marry same-sex in that game) This is one of those issues I don't really have a ton of say in...I've never had an issue with it, and like Aggra said, the Marriage in this game isn't exactly a "game-breaker".
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    With almost every single marriage in MapleStory ending in a divorce anyway I don't know why do they keep this feature in anyway.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Mabinogi would like to have a word with you. (Unless they disabled that ability, you can marry same-sex in that game) This is one of those issues I don't really have a ton of say in...I've never had an issue with it, and like Aggra said, the Marriage in this game isn't exactly a "game-breaker".

I wouldn't know anything about mabinogi; last time I played it, hell even touched it, was eight or so years ago.
  • EuropaEuropa
    Reactions: 750
    edited February 2019
    ye i agree let the gays marry garsh dangit
  • aufeuzaufeuz
    Reactions: 500
    edited May 2021
    Yes
This discussion has been closed.