[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Gnarled Wooden Keys and other boss Keys

HousePetHousePet
Reactions: 1,245
edited February 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
After fighting Root Abyss bosses for a week on two characters, I noticed that there was a daily quest that gave out free keys for them.
So my first feedback is that not having a quest lightbulb above the key-maker for this quest meant I didn't see it.

My second feedback is a bit bigger. If we are just giving out all the boss keys for free now, why even have them?
I can't think of any that have any meaning or function to them.
Making the Marble of Chaos or the Dragon King Relic work fine as a story quest. But needing to get the items again just to enter the boss fights is pointless.
FuhreakSlicedTimeHuskyDM

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    Aren't the free key quests behind the portals that you need keys to enter in the first place? Keys also drop at a medium-ish rate from the imps before the boss rooms. It's faster to just drop 400k on four keys and be done with it, imo.

I agree with your second point. If it's trivial to get the item again(root abyss keys, dream key for cygnus, keys for gollux) then just have it as a permanent etc item, like the dragon king's relic and whatever the horntail one is called.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    HousePet wrote: »
    After fighting Root Abyss bosses for a week on two characters, I noticed that there was a daily quest that gave out free keys for them.
    So my first feedback is that not having a quest lightbulb above the key-maker for this quest meant I didn't see it.

My second feedback is a bit bigger. If we are just giving out all the boss keys for free now, why even have them?
    Making the Marble of Chaos or the Dragon King Relic work fine as a story quest. But needing to get the items again just to enter the boss fights is pointless.

Some bosses don't need keys, some bosses have keys that you don't even have to quest to get, other have you working to get the keys. Some bosses allow you to try as many times to beat them, others don't and still give you keys for them.

Can I also ask for some consistency on bosses? Every boss have some unique rule for the amount of times you can try to fight them or win against them. We need consistency.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »

Some bosses don't need keys, some bosses have keys that you don't even have to quest to get, other have you working to get the keys. Some bosses allow you to try as many times to beat them, others don't and still give you keys for them.

Can I also ask for some consistency on bosses? Every boss have some unique rule for the amount of times you can try to fight them or win against them. We need consistency.

What he's saying does have merit to it, consistency aside for the moment. If the keys/entry items are little or no cost to acquire on a daily basis, then why not simply make them permanent etc items that, so long as you have it in your inventory, you can freely enter the boss(within the usual constraints, of course).

Consistency feels like a tricky subject to tackle here, because each boss has their own sort of gimmick for entering and/or starting the fight. If you're talking entry consistency, they sorted that with the tune-up update(that basically everyone thinks was a garbage update) and cut everything down to one clear per day regardless of difficulty. The higher-tier bosses(mostly the ones that give armor sets as rewards) are weekly clear which, in the case of the cygnus boss fight, could stand to be looked at changing to daily clear since that equipment set is no longer as desired as it once was.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited February 2019
    I was just using the 1 Yggdrasill coin for two keys twice a day, as I can't see any use for Yggdrasill coins.
    But the daily quest is just accept it and get 5 free keys.
    So, completely pointless key system.
    Invulgo
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    Yeah that's uh... that whole thing seems pretty damn pointless.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

What he's saying does have merit to it, consistency aside for the moment. If the keys/entry items are little or no cost to acquire on a daily basis, then why not simply make them permanent etc items that, so long as you have it in your inventory, you can freely enter the boss(within the usual constraints, of course).

Consistency feels like a tricky subject to tackle here, because each boss has their own sort of gimmick for entering and/or starting the fight. If you're talking entry consistency, they sorted that with the tune-up update(that basically everyone thinks was a garbage update) and cut everything down to one clear per day regardless of difficulty. The higher-tier bosses(mostly the ones that give armor sets as rewards) are weekly clear which, in the case of the cygnus boss fight, could stand to be looked at changing to daily clear since that equipment set is no longer as desired as it once was.

I would prefer is every boss had the same procedure to access it (clear times are another beast entirely). Let's say you just need to have the prequest done in order to access the boss, no keys needed. Why do we need the Eye of Fire for Zakum, the scroll for Von Leon, the Marble for Pink Bean, and the keys for Root Abyss? Why is Easy Empress only accessed via queue instead of being an option in her portal? If all you needed was the prequest then you get to their portal, choose a difficulty and there you go.
    FuhreakSlicedTime
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited February 2019
    I would prefer is every boss had the same procedure to access it (clear times are another beast entirely). Let's say you just need to have the prequest done in order to access the boss, no keys needed. Why do we need the Eye of Fire for Zakum, the scroll for Von Leon, the Marble for Pink Bean, and the keys for Root Abyss? Why is Easy Empress only accessed via queue instead of being an option in her portal? If all you needed was the prequest then you get to their portal, choose a difficulty and there you go.

This would be nice. Unfortunately, they shoe-horned in "lore" for accessing bosses at the time. Like "summoning" Zakum, bypassing a ward for VL, breaking the barrier for PB (which keeps resetting after you break it by some magical power), etc. If those could be changed to a one-time quest-related mechanic, that would really make the whole bossing system more efficient. Let's not mention how Cygnus keys are a chore.

• AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019

This would be nice. Unfortunately, they shoe-horned in "lore" for accessing bosses at the time. Like "summoning" Zakum, bypassing a ward for VL, breaking the barrier for PB (which keeps resetting after you break it by some magical power), etc. If those could be changed to a one-time quest-related mechanic, that would really make the whole bossing system more efficient. Let's not mention how Cygnus keys are a chore.

Hence what I brought up about simply making these things permanent etc items, like the dragon king relic for magnus and the certificate of the dragon squad for horntail.
    ACMBlackCipher