[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Still alive?

TraitorHozamaTraitorHozama
Reactions: 490
edited February 2019 in General Chat
Been 50 bajillion years since I last played, and once in a while I get the inkling to come back for a few months and play a new class. I heard Maplestory 2 is out, so I wondered if the original is still alive and active.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Maplestory 2 is a completely different game, so it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the original Maplestory's activity level.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    Maplestory 2 is a completely different game, so it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the original Maplestory's activity level.

I despise whoever looked at that game and thought "hey let's call it maplestory 2, I'm sure no one would ever misconstrue that they're two different games and that one is in no way a sequel or prequel to one another". Some would actually argue that, of the two of them, ms2 is actually doing worse. Due, in no small part, to the fact that so much of gear progression is time-gated and heavily rng-based. As well as the meso costs for everything, and that mesos are incredibly difficult to come by for all but the most serious of players.

But no, they are two entirely different games that share absolutely no common traits outside of a few towns and monsters. Anyone who says otherwise is, to keep it short, wrong.
    FuhreakSlicedTimescholar624darikRayzYHuskyDM
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    Reactions: 915
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    But no, they are two entirely different games that share absolutely no common traits outside of a few towns and monsters. Anyone who says otherwise is, to keep it short, wrong.

You do realize that MS2's gameplay is almost exactly like MS1 right? MS2 has more regulation on progression, that's it. Throw in 30 more bosses with HPs by an order or 2 higher than the current strongest ones, 30 more classes, and more equipment upgrade options (Star Force and other crap) to allow you to obtain the DPS threshold required to kill those bosses on time. Oh and more "maps" and an extended storyline. The gameplay and style of progression itself is almost exactly the same.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    Bulbasaur wrote: »

You do realize that MS2's gameplay is almost exactly like MS1 right? MS2 has more regulation on progression, that's it. Throw in 30 more bosses with HPs by an order or 2 higher than the current strongest ones, 30 more classes, and more equipment upgrade options (Star Force and other crap) to allow you to obtain the DPS threshold required to kill those bosses on time. Oh and more "maps" and an extended storyline. The gameplay and style of progression itself is almost exactly the same.

What's that, two MMOs have similar gameplay? You don't say.
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    Reactions: 915
    edited February 2019

What's that, two MMOs have similar gameplay? You don't say.

Yes, I'm explaining to you that your own statement is incorrect.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Yes, I'm explaining to you that your own statement is incorrect.
    I would say they do have similar, but it's nowhere near "exact" gameplay.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    They could have called Maplestory 2 anything but Maplestory 2. Why not MapleStory World? MapleStory Perspective? MapleStory Depth? Anything that makes it less confusing the consumer.
  • HozamaHozama
    Reactions: 345
    edited February 2019
    Okay, I got my account back and running after a few days. I log onto my Bishop and instantly die to a lv 161.

Okay......... Where am I? This way should lead me back to the, and I'm dead again.

*Taps desk* Well, this is a positive start. Okay, talk to pelican (wtf?) teleport to 6 paths, I know this place...... And where do I go now? I am so, so very lost. My gear is like 5 years outta date, I don't know these skills and I don't know how to get anywhere.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Hozama wrote: »
    Okay, I got my account back and running after a few days. I log onto my Bishop and instantly die to a lv 161.

Okay......... Where am I? This way should lead me back to the, and I'm dead again.

*Taps desk* Well, this is a positive start. Okay, talk to pelican (wtf?) teleport to 6 paths, I know this place...... And where do I go now? I am so, so very lost. My gear is like 5 years outta date, I don't know these skills and I don't know how to get anywhere.

You can use the Maple Guide to teleport directly to areas around your level. There should be a hotkey in your key settings labeled "Guide", and the guide should appear when you log in.
    If you obtain a stamp by completing a certain objective in the area (usually completing a certain quest or killing a certain number of mobs, listed in the guide), you can teleport to that area at any time.

If your character was created when secondary stats were a thing, your first order of business should be to reset your AP and reassign it into your main stat. You can purchase an AP reset scroll from NPC Matilda in most towns. It costs about 3(?) million mesos.

Your gear being out of date shouldn't be too much of a problem since you can collect gear from monsters around your level. Judging by your previous comments, if you're around level 130 now, you should be looking for either Muspell equips (level 130) or Pensalir equips (level 140). The Choco-buff should help with this as well.
  • HozamaHozama
    edited February 2019
    Genesis has a cooldown now? Dispel has a cooldown? HEAL HAS A COOLDOWN!? Why are Teddies lv 110? Why are the etc drops screaming at me? Why do I have a Penguin pet? Why do I get Skillbooks? Do bosses like Zak not drop them anymore?

I am very confusted and more than slightly frightened.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Genesis has a cooldown now? Dispel has a cooldown? HEAL HAS A COOLDOWN!? Why are Teddies lv 110? Why are the etc drops screaming at me? Why do I have a Penguin pet? Why do I get Skillbooks? Do bosses like Zak not drop them anymore?

I am very confusted and more than slightly frightened.

Yes, Genesis, Dispel, and even Heal have cooldowns now.
    Teddies are level 110 because the levels of nearly all mobs and maps were changed to make things simpler.
    The ETC drops that scream at you are part of an event (Dark Lords of Darkness. Worth participating in, by the way).
    The Penguin pet is probably from a past event where Nexon gave out perm pets to everyone. You must have logged in to accept it, even if you don't remember doing so.
    Skillbooks don't exist anymore. With few exceptions, you can see all your 4th job skills as soon as you job advance (at level 100, by the way). Mastery books are sold by potion shop NPCs in Henesys and Leafre.

I would recommend treating Maple as you would a completely new (to you) game.
    It's changed so much, that anything you think you know is likely wrong.
  • HozamaHozama
    edited February 2019
    Okay, I still have no idea WTF is going on, but I am leveling up. Sent to some place called Lion's Castle, and I'm working my way through it.

But seriously, how the heck am I supposted to make millions of mesos to buy things from NPCs? Why do NPCs even sell things for millions of mesos?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Okay, I still have no idea WTF is going on, but I am leveling up. Sent to some place called Lion's Castle, and I'm working my way through it.

But seriously, how the heck am I supposted to make millions of mesos to buy things from NPCs? Why do NPCs even sell things for millions of mesos?

Mastery books used to cost tens and hundreds of millions when purchased from other players (and even a billion for coveted HT drops like MW30, Genesis 30, and TT30), and they had a 30-50% chance of failing. Compared to that, 3m or 5m for 100% to pass, is practically giving them away for free.
    If you can't afford that, there are several quest lines that give mastery books as rewards, and the current Utah's Farm event shop sells them for a few event coins.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

Mastery books used to cost tens and hundreds of millions when purchased from other players (and even a billion for coveted HT drops like MW30, Genesis 30, and TT30), and they had a 30-50% chance of failing. Compared to that, 3m or 5m for 100% to pass, is practically giving them away for free.
    If you can't afford that, there are several quest lines that give mastery books as rewards, and the current Utah's Farm event shop sells them for a few event coins.

This is, for now, your best bet for skill books. I'm assuming you're playing bishop, so you'll need 8 mastery book 20's and 7 mastery book 30's.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited February 2019
    Well, continue through the Lion King's Castle and you will get some free Mastery books.
    Check the Maple Guide where it gives pics of area rewards and you can find a lot of places where you can get Mastery books.
    However, the easiest source is actually the first Daily Gift item of the month. Look for the green Event button on the bottom of your screen.
  • HozamaHozama
    edited February 2019
    Oh, wow, Zak sure has changed. He's shrunk, a lot. And drops really good (for me) items. Wicked awesome staff. And a crystal worth 600k. So that's how I can make money.

BTW, what's Starforce? I entered an area and it said I didn't have enough starforce and I was only dealing 1 damage.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Oh, wow, Zak sure has changed. He's shrunk, a lot. And drops really good (for me) items. Wicked awesome staff. And a crystal worth 600k. So that's how I can make money.

BTW, what's Starforce? I entered an area and it said I didn't have enough starforce and I was only dealing 1 damage.

Star Force is, simply put, the amount of star enhancements you have on your items. After you use up all scroll slots on a particular equip, you can add stars to it by paying mesos. Each star adds all stats and, at higher levels, attack and magic attack.
    If the item is destroyed while star forcing, you get an equipment trace which can preserve the equipment stats/bonus stats/potential/etc and 12 of the stars. There's also a safeguard at 10 stars and at 15 stars (so once you hit those marks, you can't drop below them).
    There's a 25-star cap, but for most players you'd be looking at 17 stars as a maximum.

There should be a quest under the lightbulb icon on the left-hand side of the screen which explains the system. Look for the quests "Do you know about scroll enhancements?" and "Do you know about star force enhancement?"
    Total stat and chances are also listed here.