[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

why is the game constantly unstable for years?

iArrowZiArrowZ
Reactions: 1,710
edited June 2019 in General Chat
honestly this is the ONLY reason i have stopped playing the game. i have an account. i have been semi active. but this is the ONLY game that crashes let alone so consistently.
i have been around since beta so i know its not a new problem..
so nexon. why is so hard to make your game more playable.

is it the code? is the people behind the scenes just being lazy with patching the game up ?
do you just not care cuz people are still spending money?
( i no longer support the game with my money or time at the moment, as much as i want to join the game and try out all these new classes)

atm i'm currently playing a game called warframe. in comparison they have significantly less people working on their game yet they hardly ever have issues.
heck the patches are done in literally minutes (usually no more than 5 minutes) and WHILE people are playing the game.
what are they doing that nexon can't?

i'm really having trouble understanding. maybe more information would help. where is the tech nerds?
is it just something that cant be fixed and we need to accept that the game will be forever unstable
that seems quite unfair considering how much incentive to shove cash at you guys are.

i love the game. but sometimes i honestly wish a different company was running it so i could actually enjoy it.. for example DFO. a game nexon tossed years back. its still around with a different company tho i dont play it anymore as i only play one game at a time generally. anyway.

who else is frustrated at how constantly unstable the game is?

End Rant.
luna02SlicedTime

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    iArrowZ wrote: »
    is it the code? is the people behind the scenes just being lazy with patching the game up ?
    ( i no longer support the game with my money or time at the moment, as much as i want to join the game and try out all these new classes)
    Yes. In the end if a game is unstable the code is to blame.
    However just because a game has glitches/bugs/etc doesn't mean that the programmers on the game are bad.
    More often than not programmers are forced under conditions which promote bad coding.
    Nevermind the fact that GMS is a clustertruck of features slapped together to give us a "unique" version of the game.
    atm i'm currently playing a game called warframe. in comparison they have significantly less people working on their game yet they hardly ever have issues.
    heck the patches are done in literally minutes (usually no more than 5 minutes) and WHILE people are playing the game.
    It's just silly to compare the two really. Apples to Oranges.

Warframe is a 2013 game made by a team of people who already had a lot of experience with the engine they created the game for.
    These people are not only experienced in making games already, but most of the legwork was already done for them. (The engine)
    MapleStory is a 2003 game made by a new company on their own custom engine.
    The level of difficulty is much higher as well as code just gets messier and messier over time.

You're comparing a game that is only 6(ish) years old to a game that is over 15 years old.
    Mindsets, Tools, workplace standards and more all play a part in how a game is handled.
    Nexon might be a giant publisher/developer of games, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still working off the original base game from back in 2003.
    You also have to consider that GMS has been developing along side though from a slightly different perspective since 2005.
  • luna02luna02
    Reactions: 1,255
    edited June 2019
    honestly this is the ONLY reason i have stopped playing the game. i have an account. i have been semi active. but this is the ONLY game that crashes let alone so consistently.
    i have been around since beta so i know its not a new problem..
    so nexon. why is so hard to make your game more playable.

i'm really having trouble understanding. maybe more information would help. where is the tech nerds?
    is it just something that cant be fixed and we need to accept that the game will be forever unstable
    that seems quite unfair considering how much incentive to shove cash at you guys are.

i love the game. but sometimes i honestly wish a different company was running it so i could actually enjoy it.. for example DFO. a game nexon tossed years back. its still around with a different company tho i dont play it anymore as i only play one game at a time generally. anyway.

who else is frustrated at how constantly unstable the game is?

End Rant.

this problem is of years .... crash, dc instant , lag , bugs ... well ...anyone fix ? or possible solution ? .....
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited June 2019
    They are forced to work under bad conditions and those bad conditions make bad qualities. it only when they lose money they fix it to please the audience and players. I think when the player base takes a big hit then and only then the company will take it seriously, it happens with other good games so it can happen with maple.
    Fuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    luna02 wrote: »

this problem is of years .... crash, dc instant , lag , bugs ... well ...anyone fix ? or possible solution ? .....

Like with many things and many other developers, they've put off fixing stuff that is "good enough for now" for so long that it's become a major problem.
    A lot of the time these developers actually do want to take care of their game, but higher ups force them to pump out new content instead of fixing the old.
    That said, Nexon is getting better about customer relations for sure. We can only hope that whoever ends up buying Nexon continues this trend or improves upon it.

riza wrote: »
    They are forced to work under bad conditions and those bad conditions make bad qualities. it only when they lose money they fix it to please the audience and players. I think when the player base takes a big hit then and only then the company will take it seriously, it happens with other good games so it can happen with maple.

Sometimes even after taking a big hit the company still doesn't take it seriously. They just keep pumping out more pay to win stuff to appease to whales.
    Many an MMO are on life support just because the company doesn't want to risk the money/time required to save it.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited June 2019
    riza wrote: »

thats not excuse if they allocate their money properly they got experience, team and money
    being stubborn didnt end well for EMS and NXEUteam (and few other things like combatarms....)

hackers works 24/7 their damage on server goes like n² evry few month
    its not just nexon fault (sure there is few there that knows it well ) but when they dont get right support and community that mostly cheat...
    (just look how many are mad when they saw they cant spanish-afk farm anymore.... )

overall chaos that takes huge huge cleaning machine and brave person to step on it
  • CrsCrs
    Reactions: 790
    edited June 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Yes. In the end if a game is unstable the code is to blame.
    However just because a game has glitches/bugs/etc doesn't mean that the programmers on the game are bad.
    More often than not programmers are forced under conditions which promote bad coding.
    Nevermind the fact that GMS is a clustertruck of features slapped together to give us a "unique" version of the game.
    It's just silly to compare the two really. Apples to Oranges.

Warframe is a 2013 game made by a team of people who already had a lot of experience with the engine they created the game for.
    These people are not only experienced in making games already, but most of the legwork was already done for them. (The engine)
    MapleStory is a 2003 game made by a new company on their own custom engine.
    The level of difficulty is much higher as well as code just gets messier and messier over time.

You're comparing a game that is only 6(ish) years old to a game that is over 15 years old.
    Mindsets, Tools, workplace standards and more all play a part in how a game is handled.
    Nexon might be a giant publisher/developer of games, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still working off the original base game from back in 2003.
    You also have to consider that GMS has been developing along side though from a slightly different perspective since 2005.

Just to let you know.

Warframe uses an in-house engine called "Evolution Engine" and is always updated internally to meet the needs of the game(Currently they are working on updating the rendering part the engine). They are still very new to the whole mmo space.

While maplestory does have an in-house engine, it is never updated(new skeleton animation system.and cap are just gimmicks) and running on legacy code. Between the two it's very clear who's doing a very good job at maintaining their game to run smoothly with a team of 200 workers vs a giant corporation.
    SlicedTimeWONDERGUY
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited June 2019
    so basically you guys just suck it up ? yea i dont think ill be coming back. :/
    WONDERGUY
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    Crs wrote: »
    Just to let you know.

Warframe uses an in-house engine called "Evolution Engine" and is always updated internally to meet the needs of the game(Currently they are working on updating the rendering part the engine). They are still very new to the whole mmo space.

While maplestory does have an in-house engine, it is never updated(new skeleton animation system.and cap are just gimmicks) and running on legacy code. Between the two it's very clear who's doing a very good job at maintaining their game to run smoothly with a team of 200 workers vs a giant corporation.

Regardless of that fact, you still have to consider the starting point of the two companies.
    Wizet was far from being a giant corporation when MapleStory was first created.
    No that doesn't excuse the way the game was handled moving forward, but that does set the stage for the way things tumbled down.
    I'm not saying that Nexon is innocent of upkeeping the game/engine. But I am saying that it's far from being the "no reason Nexon can't" that people claim it is.

Just because you have a big company doesn't mean that big problems aren't big anymore. Nexon has dug themselves into a hole which is hard to escape from.
    Sometimes after poor upkeep of something, it's easier to just tear the whole thing down and start over again.
    I'm sure Nexon sees little reason to do a complete rewrite of the game's engine when Korea seems to be doing fine.
    Nexon is far from being the best company, but they still get more flak than they deserve.
    so basically you guys just suck it up ? yea i dont think ill be coming back. :/
    Sadly this is the only option.
    Either you spend money on a game with subpar support or you don't spend money on it, eating their resources without putting anything back in.
    Regardless of which option you choose, you've lost and Nexon is still stuck in a bad spot.
    Quitting the game and leaving until things improve just might be the best option if you can't stick through bad times.
    Crs
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited June 2019
    well age dosnt mean " its old,rusted,cant be used anymore......" there is bunch of old games that maintained good and keept good amount of player base (despite the changing trends and issues )

LoL-Riot Games (50m claimed worth) its old aswell has 300k+ players daily on twtich and like 500k+ ingame FREE TO PLAY

nexon-maple 600-800m MS/10b NXC almost same age has far less players ... daily maintaince,hackers and barely free to play
  • polerpoler
    Reactions: 725
    edited June 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    well age dosnt mean " its old,rusted,cant be used anymore......" there is bunch of old games that maintained good and keept good amount of player base (despite the changing trends and issues )

LoL-Riot Games (50m claimed worth) its old aswell has 300k+ players daily on twtich and like 500k+ ingame FREE TO PLAY

nexon-maple 600-800m MS/10b NXC almost same age has far less players ... daily maintaince,hackers and barely free to play

League of Legends isn't a good comparison to Maplestory since they are 2 different game genres. A better comparison would be Runescape.
    League of Legends is almost 10 years while Maplestory is 16 years old which is a big difference. Keep in mind that this is an early 2000s (2003) game while League of Legends was released in 2009. Have a look at which games were released in 2009, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and many more.
    It is indeed true that Maplestory hasn't aged that well and people would consider the game dying/dead. There are probably more people playing on private servers than on the normal servers.

Also people in the league of legends community have a reputation of being toxic which is kinda true since you see people being toxic in games of course and people tend to have a short fuse and low tolerance. You see people behaving childish. Not to mention smurfs are now every varying from banned people or people wanting a back-up account or boosting account. You also see chill people but people only tend to remember or talk about the negative people but there are also positive and normal people in the game.

Also the argument that maplestory is "barely free to play" is not that good since if you want to do damage you have to choose between using time or money which money is the easier choice while time people complain about. The game is indeed pay to progress FASTER. What is there to win? Dojo and ranking but other than that I can't think of other competitive things in maplestory.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited June 2019
    poler wrote: »

League of Legends isn't a good comparison to Maplestory since they are 2 different game genres. A better comparison would be Runescape.
    League of Legends is almost 10 years while Maplestory is 16 years old which is a big difference. Keep in mind that this is an early 2000s (2003) game while League of Legends was released in 2009. Have a look at which games were released in 2009, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and many more.
    It is indeed true that Maplestory hasn't aged that well and people would consider the game dying/dead. There are probably more people playing on private servers than on the normal servers.

Also people in the league of legends community have a reputation of being toxic which is kinda true since you see people being toxic in games of course and people tend to have a short fuse and low tolerance. You see people behaving childish. Not to mention smurfs are now every varying from banned people or people wanting a back-up account or boosting account. You also see chill people but people only tend to remember or talk about the negative people but there are also positive and normal people in the game.

Also the argument that maplestory is "barely free to play" is not that good since if you want to do damage you have to choose between using time or money which money is the easier choice while time people complain about. The game is indeed pay to progress FASTER. What is there to win? Dojo and ranking but other than that I can't think of other competitive things in maplestory.

again the point was they are out there on market for years (10+ as you said ). the fact that maplestory its a bit older makes no difference
    they could and still can learn and update as market-trend goes (atleast take that years experience and put in use)

all goes thro issues i never said LoL its best and never had issues (even runescape its keeping up better then ms)
    its about how they learn from mistakes and issues and do a change (LoL did good overall the years and thats why thy still got good amount of player base as return)

maplestory cant reach growth when only thing that gets updated-fixed its marvel,philo and CS (most players knows whats free to play is we dont need go thro that all the time and they know to chose server accordingly numbers says it )

nexon-maplestory need to invest-updated servers,securtity and teams (GM-dev)
    its pointless to add new class when player base cant login-stay online because of daily maintenance and years old of issues

but as usual
    we can suck it up and see how far the crazyness goes (lucky there are others servers :) )
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019

Your best example imo is going to be Ragnarok Online. It was another hot MMO at the time which hasn't aged well.
    Refusing to update the outdated engine resulted in an extremely lag heavy client and the game is also dying, just at a faster rate than MS.
    The last time I played it had around 2~3k players on at any given time.
    Other massively popular examples if you want to compare to them would be FFXI, Lineage II or EVE Online.

When MapleStory first came out, they were breaking into uncharted territory, MMOs were still fairly young.
    Add to the fact that MapleStory did something that no one else was doing and flipped the genre on its side. (Literally)
    It was new uncharted territory and I highly doubt Wizet devs were planning for engine stability for the next few decades.
    Game programmers had a different mentality and a different setup back then.
    Now that we know that games can easily last a few decades, more companies design their engines to last the tides of time.

Comparing this to newer games isn't really fair at all. League of Legends was created on the very idea that they would just patch it constantly.
    I'm sure nobody at Wizet ever thought their game would be alive at this point, nor be one of the most popular games in their country.
    Just think, MapleStory was originally programmed on a Windows 98, Windows 2000 or at best, Windows XP machine.
    The fact that so much of the game sat exposed on the client side of things, easily there for anyone to hack really just shows how unprepared they were.