[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Change this "24 hours deletion cooldown" thing.

TehuTehuTehuTehu
Reactions: 700
edited June 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
make it a 10 minute cooldown and send us a confirmation email, or you could atleast introduce an option for an Accountwide IGN system or something. i know alot of people (including me) who wants to try a different class but wants to also keep their IGN and its getting really annoying.

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    Deleting characters usually isn't something you want to do.
    The 24 hour wait period is only for characters above a certain level (33 I think).
    Though I would like to see something along the lines of a confirmation email.
    Because of the legion system and how long these characters take to build up, I'd like to see longer wait periods or something else to protect against hacking.

I don't imagine you're building too many characters up to level 200 if you're still trying them out and then deleting them.
    You've got a long road ahead of you if you're just deleting these characters instead of saving them for legion use.
    My advice would be, stop getting so attached to a name and just go with anything that sounds good.
    Now if you wanted to complain about character slots being too limited and hard to obtain more, you might have a point.

Account-wide IGNs will probably never happen. One way around this is to just pick a naming method.
    For example, my friend has every single character follow the same Four letters for the first name, then a word that starts with S for the second half of the character.
    The second word describes something about the class, like his Bishop is "Saint".
  • TehuTehuTehuTehu
    edited June 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Account-wide IGNs will probably never happen. One way around this is to just pick a naming method.

why is that? many MMO's (if not most of them) has a Family Name feature so people will know the user despite opening a different character.

I don't imagine you're building too many characters up to level 200 if you're still trying them out and then deleting them.

i dont see how this is related to the topic. i had 3 characters at level 160 175 and 179 on my way to looking for a class to main and i didnt like any of their playstyles. they could atleast make this an optional security option in account settings or something. as far as i can tell this is an easy way for them to get my 15$ for a name change because i can think of a million other ways to handle this problem in 5 minutes, you can easily google this and see that many people also dislike this feature, and so does some of my friends.
    Because of the legion system and how long these characters take to build up, I'd like to see longer wait periods or something else to protect against hacking.

sounds great, i'd use that right after finding a class i can have fun with.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    TehuTehu wrote: »
    why is that? many MMO's (if not most of them) has a Family Name feature so people will know the user despite opening a different character.
    Just saying to not hold your breath, you're going to be waiting awhile before we get it, if ever.
    It would be better to start playing now.
    i dont see how this is related to the topic. i had 3 characters at level 160 175 and 179 on my way to looking for a class to main and i didnt like any of their playstyles. they could atleast make this an optional security option in account settings or something. as far as i can tell this is an easy way for them to get my 15$ for a name change because i can think of a million other ways to handle this problem in 5 minutes, you can easily google this and see that many people also dislike this feature, and so does some of my friends.
    Because until you hit 5th job (Level 200) you haven't seen everything the class has to offer.
    I hated my Main Class for years until I eventually worked my way up to 5th job one month.
    sounds great, i'd use that right after finding a class i can have fun with.
    This is actually all the more reason to not delete them. Legion makes all of your characters stronger based on your total level.
    By deleting the higher level characters you're actually slowing your process in being able to progress.
    You'll find a main faster if you just leave these characters where they're at.
    Not to mention you won't have to go back and do it all over again later.

As far as having extra options that allow you to delete characters faster, possibly. As long as they're opt-in I don't see any issue with this.
    So long as it's not possible for a hacker to swoop in and remove years of work in a matter of minutes.
    At least with the current system, if they somehow get past your pin they would still need to either clear your characters manually or wait 24 hours.
  • TehuTehuTehuTehu
    edited June 2019

This is actually all the more reason to not delete them. Legion makes all of your characters stronger based on your total level.

well, i want to delete it now because i want to burn my new character anyway.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2019

Waiting a day won't kill you. Most games have some kind of waiting period for character deletion nowadays anyway.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    As posted above, deleting characters is counter-productive in today's MapleStory. Every character over level 60 on your account benefits your eventual main in some way.
    Repeatedly creating characters, putting days or weeks of work into them, and then deleting them just to recover the name, seems wasteful to me.

Here's what I'd do in your place:
    Give all characters placeholder names. Like "TehuKanna" or "TehuArk".
    Later, when you decide on your main, then use a name change coupon (either free from an event, or from Cash Shop) to change its name to your favored main IGN.
    That way, you get to keep all the characters you've worked on, and you get to have your main named as you want.

As for removing or shortening the character deletion cooldown: the cooldown is there to protect you in case of someone malicious gaining access to your account, or in case of hasty decisions or actions you might regret given some time to think about it. As with most security measures, it's an annoyance in day-to-day activity. But if it saves you even once, it's worth it.
    (I do feel that the minimum level for this cooldown could be raised. 33 only takes minutes nowadays.)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    As posted above, deleting characters is counter-productive in today's MapleStory. Every character over level 60 on your account benefits your eventual main in some way.
    Repeatedly creating characters, putting days or weeks of work into them, and then deleting them just to recover the name, seems wasteful to me.

Later, when you decide on your main, then use a name change coupon (either free from an event, or from Cash Shop) to change its name to your favored main IGN.
    That way, you get to keep all the characters you've worked on, and you get to have your main named as you want.

As for removing or shortening the character deletion cooldown: the cooldown is there to protect you in case of someone malicious gaining access to your account, or in case of hasty decisions or actions you might regret given some time to think about it. As with most security measures, it's an annoyance in day-to-day activity. But if it saves you even once, it's worth it.
    (I do feel that the minimum level for this cooldown could be raised. 33 only takes minutes nowadays.)

Let's be real here, having an option in your account settings on the site to forcibly terminate the account's connection to the server and/or lock it out would be far better to this end than "oh you have to wait a day to delete characters".
  • TehuTehuTehuTehu
    edited June 2019

read my last comment.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019

read my last comment.
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Waiting a day won't kill you. Most games have some kind of waiting period for character deletion nowadays anyway.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    Let's be real here, having an option in your account settings on the site to forcibly terminate the account's connection to the server and/or lock it out would be far better to this end than "oh you have to wait a day to delete characters".

That would be a useful tool (if only for the recurring "ID already logged in" errors), but it won't save your characters from deletion unless you're aware of the malicious person getting on your account the instant they do it.
    Fuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    That would be a useful tool (if only for the recurring "ID already logged in" errors), but it won't save your characters from deletion unless you're aware of the malicious person getting on your account the instant they do it.

I'd rather honestly see some form of two-pass verification that isn't a pin number.
    I don't really fear being hacked, but extra protection can never hurt.
    SlicedTimeDnaman101
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019

I'd rather honestly see some form of two-pass verification that isn't a pin number.
    I don't really fear being hacked, but extra protection can never hurt.

Both very valid points, and some form of actual 2FA would be great. I mean goddamn, if Roblox, of all things can do it, why can't nexon?
  • TehuTehuTehuTehu
    edited June 2019

Waiting a day won't kill you.

wont kill me sure, but not everyone has time to play everyday. this feature just took a day off my weekend and my 2x exp coupons for something that is completely unnecessary for me. i cant see how asking to delete my 1 day old character when i want to is too much to ask.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited June 2019

wont kill me sure, but not everyone has time to play everyday. this feature just took a day off my weekend and my 2x exp coupons for something that is completely unnecessary for me. i cant see how asking to delete my 1 day old character when i want to is too much to ask.

It's not like it's unique to this game. In fact the only games that I know of that don't have some kind of time delay between deletion and deletion are ones that haven't had a meaningful content update in six or more years and basically only exist to milk as much final profit out of as possible before finally pulling the plug.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019

You might have a bit of a point on the age of the character thing.
    Perhaps the deletion setting should be adjusted.
    Maybe only force the 1 day wait if a character is above level 60, when it can be added to legion.
    Then also only enforce if the character is older than 1 week?

I'm sure these new rules would be acceptable for most.
    Honestly though, given how important it is to have multiple characters. We really should be advocating for more security, not less.
    How often do players find themselves deleting characters? In the past year I've deleted 2, maybe 3 characters.
    I play almost every single day, 10 out of 12 months. It's not that big of a deal to wait one day for a feature that is rarely used.
    Dnaman101
  • LiftedMirageLiftedMirage
    Reactions: 710
    edited June 2019
    I really hope the character you're deleting isn't important. Since you dislike playing on them now with the burning event, you're going to hate it even more when you have to recreate one and level it the normal way.
  • BeefBeef
    Reactions: 2,560
    edited June 2019
    I would like to see 2FA to skip 24hr delete
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited June 2019
    currently im just trying to log into the game... i have had no luck getting to log in to delete the character so i can make the burning character and thus get my pathfinder rewards. looks like i wont be getting them since i been trying for about 3 days now.

as an old player i can understand having a wait time but there should be a method to expedidte it. for those who dont want to wait.
    so what if it slows down progression in legion. getting to 200 takes a few days now.. vs months/years back then.
  • ElfDriver346ElfDriver346
    edited January 2021
    blabla bla max char slots already
This discussion has been closed.