[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon wants me to run an outdated Visual C ++

TrashcantTrashcant
Reactions: 1,050
edited August 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Whenever I start MapleStory it prompts me to install an outdated version of Microsoft visual C++ and I don't know why.
xparasite9

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2019
    The game runs on the 2015 Redistributable.

Libraries such as Java or Visual C++ are not like typical system updates where you require the latest version to run. Updated libraries are not always backwards compatible, certainly not with every program. Sometimes functions are deprecated and removed, sometimes functionality changes, and so on and so forth. Because of this, programs often prompt you to download a compatible library so it can run properly.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    Neospector wrote: »

Libraries such as Java or Visual C++ are not like typical system updates where you require the latest version to run. Updated libraries are not always backwards compatible, certainly not with every program. Sometimes functions are deprecated and removed, sometimes functionality changes, and so on and so forth. Because of this, programs often prompt you to download a compatible library so it can run properly.

To add, libraries are essentially just a package of resources. With notable exceptions(extreme age and such), there's really no such thing as an outdated resource package. It's not like an outdated operating system, libraries don't connect to the internet, they're just resources for a program to run as intended(ignoring the fact that this game rarely ever runs as intended)

Also:
    ko97b39.png
    Fuhreak
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited August 2019
    Neospector wrote: »

That's nice and all but it requests permission to install it literally every time I load up the game, and it's been doing this for months, irrespective of the fact that I've already installed.

At this point it's just another thing to click through to launch the game along with the UAC privilege elevation.