[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

MapleStory cutscenes are able to crash my computer

TrashcantTrashcant
Reactions: 1,050
edited August 2019 in Bug Reporting
I reached level 230 on MapleStory recently and proceeded with the Morass story line. All of a sudden I'm experiencing non-stop computer crashing at cutscenes; my computer is shutting off and restarting. I don't know why I'm unable to process this because I have updated everything required to run the game. I can start the game again but after I sign in with my character my computer crashes again. Once more I start the game, sign in but this time my game doesn't crash, instead my character is moved to the map where I'm assuming the cutscene ends with the quest containing the cutscene trigger still incomplete. I am required to complete this quest to progress but I cant seem to do it. This also means I'm unable to receive Arcane Symbol : Morass as a event reward during gameplay.

I of course blame developers, however every time this happens I always try to turn off effects, turn off pets, toggle/disable fullscreen, change resolution, repair installation turn off the anti-virus, and in some extreme cases reinstall the game. If nothing works It's gotta be fixed.

Steps to reproduce: enter cutscenes.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    It doesn't matter what you do ingame to try and alleviate crashing during cutscenes. The cutscenes haven't been actual game files for close to three years now. They used to be, you used to be able to open up C:\Nexon\Library\maplestory\appdata and see a bunch of video files that were mostly all the intro animations for different classes(demon, mercedes, phantom to name a couple).

As of two or three years ago, all fully-animated cutscenes are embedded youtube videos. Because that apparently made enough sense to be signed off on and implemented. Probably explains why half the cutscenes I encounter are just empty black screens until I hit esc to skip them.
  • TrashcantTrashcant
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited August 2019
    As of two or three years ago, all fully-animated cutscenes are embedded youtube videos. Because that apparently made enough sense to be signed off on and implemented. Probably explains why half the cutscenes I encounter are just empty black screens until I hit esc to skip them.

The cutscenes I'm talking about are the ones with your character in them with the panning camera view and the story dialog boxes.
    Can you actually skip these by pressing ESC? If I can just hit ESC and exit the cutscenes I can proceed to complete the story line.
    I've already tried disabling the anti-virus and my OS restarted and I lost files.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited August 2019
    Try doing it on another computer. If it doesn't crash, then the problem may lies with your computer.

Just debugging theories, may not actually work (you are the first person to ever report the entire computer crashing from cut scene).
    Try uninstalling all the Microsoft Visual C++ <year> Redistributable, and have the nexon launcher reinstall a fresh batch.

If task manager still say the up time is still 24+ days despite the crashing and restarting, try doing a full shutdown (hold the shift button when selecting the power down option in the start menu) (Was a common causes for cutscene freezing in the past, but your problem is a crash).

Try installing the steam version (keep the Nexon Launcher version too so it install on a fresh section on your HDD or SSD).
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited August 2019
    Try using this to see if the crash has any other details associated with it. (Not sure if it will detect driver or software problems or memory problems)
    https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/