[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Trying to Understand Cubes and Potentials

ThrowThatTeaThrowThatTea
Reactions: 650
edited August 2019 in General Chat
I want to make sure I understand how cubes work. Let me know if I am correct.

So an occult cube will change the potential on an item to be either rare or epic.
I just cubed an item 51 times trying to get it to go to epic, but it only re-rolled rare. Why? RNG?

Additionally, if I got an item to epic, does this mean that I can continue cubing it without having to worry about it dropping back down to rare?

Does that mean the best way to cube is to always use the lower tier cubes on items with lower potential first?

Comments

• DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited August 2019
    You just have bad luck getting to epic and you won't roll down a rank (this was a thing long time ago exclusive to Occult Cubes.) The rare to epic thing on these cubes are just awful. It is useful to choosing good epic lines for mules.
    ThrowThatTea
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    Especially when they're cheap as hell and you can get a full stack of 3000 for 120m. That, realistically, is their only worth. Just getting quick epics/relevant lines for mule gear.

Where you'll run into things dropping tier is rerolling your inner ability with honor. You can lock the tier but don't do it until you actually get to legendary. Locking the tier does exactly what it sounds like: no dropping tier, but also no increasing either. Just brute-force to legendary and then NEVER reroll without locking your tier.
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited August 2019
    occult cubes dont seem to derank often.
    it is often told to just buy a epic potential 50% and use mastercraftsman cubes from then on either in the form of service or from master craftsmans cubes that you make
    ThrowThatTea
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    Cubes cannot lower rank. The are merely limited to an upper limit.
    Occult for example can go from rare to epic, but at an extremely low rate.
    They cannot however go from epic to unique. You'll need a stronger cube for that.
    As others have said, the main use of occult cubes is to just reroll lines for mules so they aren't running around with complete crap.
    The extra little bit of damage you can get from having mainstat +6% and maybe a secondary line of +3% on all your gear helps a mule out.
    ThrowThatTea