[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Old Maplestory nostalgia?

Comments

• KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
    Reactions: 11,690
    edited October 2016
    @Arlong 영어로 말해
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    KThxBaiNao

@Arlong 영어로 말해
    당신은 내 어머니가 아니야
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited October 2016
    안되. 계속 한국말로 하고 싶어.

김치 파워 악티베이트! 다크 메직 블레이지 !
    아하하하하하
    내가 이렇게 힘 있는지 몰랐지? 준비됐나? 하ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ 이것은 나의 스페셜 공략이다 ! !
    다크 퍼니싱 스메시 ! ! !

헤헤헤 어때?

이게 뭐야? 아직 살아 있어? 진짜 사람이야?

OK I speaku engrish now
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016
    *ahem* Now for a post in English.

Something I really miss about the older days in particular was the subway party(?) quest which was basically an old-Ariant PQ styled quest you could only do until level 30. I found it a lot of fun! And while I do like the fast transportation of today's Maple, I did enjoy just talking to others on the ride to Orbis and other places. It's where I remember meeting one of my friends that basically started it all for me.

I don't play the game anymore, but it's a very pleasant feeling I have when I look back at it all. I just wish I had a little more time to do things with the friends I used to have, and to punch my 10 year old self in the face.
    NeoTokyoDude
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    A few years ago, I was very eager to say that the community was overall positive, but now I'd say that it was just as rotten as it is today. Perhaps it is my nostalgia goggles wearing off, but I'm starting to remember the negative experiences I had with people. I miss my old friends of course, but I've ran into some very terrible people. It's the same thing today, just that people are more spread out now so it's easier to avoid interactions.

I would say that the old layout of Victoria Island is still quite nostalgic to me. It was always fun being able to walk from one town and then return full circle. The large, intricate maps were a lot less straightforward to navigate in. I especially remember the L forest somewhere between Kerning City and Lith Harbor.
    JettLuvsUIts2Sharp4UWillowRosenbergCatooolooo
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

*ahem* Now for a post in English.

Something I really miss about the older days in particular was the subway party(?) quest which was basically an old-Ariant PQ styled quest you could only do until level 30. I found it a lot of fun! And while I do like the fast transportation of today's Maple, I did enjoy just talking to others on the ride to Orbis and other places. It's where I remember meeting one of my friends that basically started it all for me.

I don't play the game anymore, but it's a very pleasant feeling I have when I look back at it all. I just wish I had a little more time to do things with the friends I used to have, and to punch my 10 year old self in the face.
    My flavor of choice was Netts pyramid, I wanted that belt!
    ふかせ
    ふかせ said:

A few years ago, I was very eager to say that the community was overall positive, but now I'd say that it was just as rotten as it is today. Perhaps it is my nostalgia goggles wearing off, but I'm starting to remember the negative experiences I had with people. I miss my old friends of course, but I've ran into some very terrible people. It's the same thing today, just that people are more spread out now so it's easier to avoid interactions.

I would say that the old layout of Victoria Island is still quite nostalgic to me. It was always fun being able to walk from one town and then return full circle. The large, intricate maps were a lot less straightforward to navigate in. I especially remember the L forest somewhere between Kerning City and Lith Harbor.
    Negative nostalgia? That is an interesting concept. About 10 years ago, I had heard about how internet games generally had rude player bases so by the time I tried Maplestory my expectations were already low. But on the other hand in Old MS it was kind of easy to avoid if the player was well informed. If hackers tried to drop Wolf spiders or other mobs on your head, all it took was to change channels. Scammers were a real thing in the Free market but a quick visit to any of the fan sites would be enough to educate the public and guard against the most common ones. What was the age range of Old MS players? There were probably people as young as 5 and old as, well I couldn't say. It was the kind of game that had a very diverse population. I would be more shocked if there were no rude players.

I have mixed feelings about L forest. It later changed into Mushroom castle but I thought it had a lot of potential as a wide open field map area. (perfect for adding hidden streets)
    Lilyflower
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited October 2016
    NeoTokyoDude

I have mixed feelings about L forest. It later changed into Mushroom castle but I thought it had a lot of potential as a wide open field map area. (perfect for adding hidden streets)
    L Forest never changed to Mushroom Kingdom. In fact, Mushroom Kingdom use to be accessed through "Hidden Street: An Empty House" back then when you had to fight Helmet, Royal Guard, and King Pepe.

The only thing they had in common was the use of the same BGM.
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited October 2016
    I'll take 1,000 damage over 1,000,000,000 damage any day lol.
    LilyflowerWillowRosenberg
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited October 2016
    Its2Sharp4U

NeoTokyoDude

L Forest never changed to Mushroom Kingdom. In fact, Mushroom Kingdom use to be accessed through "Hidden Street: An Empty House" back then when you had to fight Helmet, Royal Guard, and King Pepe.

The only thing they had in common was the use of the same BGM.
    That is right, we had both L Forest and Mushroom kingdom before Victoria island got changed, wow that was a long time ago! During that period my main had already moved on to Masteria and NLC. I still did run a few mules through the castle questline when I was trying to get them far enough to complete the quests with 60% GFA scrolls. Back then I was so desperate for mesos but as I remember it now, I think it was hilarious.
    Its2Sharp4ULilyflower
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited October 2016

This is how I control myself from making those irritating Old Maple suggestions, by discussing what I liked about the "golden days" of Maplestory with my friends and other people.

TL;DR post nostalgia about maplestory.

Remember when the explorer warriors had Monster Magnet after it was a Hero & DrK-only skill?
    Remember when Shadowers had Assaulter and Band of Thieves, and Night Lords had Avenger?
    Remember when botters weren't a big deal?
    Remember when Paladin was the hardest class to play, second to beginners because their combat style was literally using the normal attack infused with an elemental until getting Charge Blow, which was basically the same thing but more exhausting because you had to re-charge an element to use the skill?
    Remember when Zakum Helmets were 150mil?
    Remember that ASMR you got from hearing the old Nexon tune appear when loading the client?
    Remember dying to a random Iron Hog while grinding Jr Boogies in Perion?

'Member?
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    I remember when I could actually kill CZak...
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited October 2016
    Maryse
    Maryse said:

I remember when I could actually kill CZak...
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited October 2016
    I remember falling into the Golem Pit and when Tiger was actually a big deal.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    Remember when you accidentally blew 5,000 mesos on a ticket to Orbis, then found out you couldn't kill anything once there because you were like level 20something, and then had to either strip down and sell everything and/or panhandle for another 5k to get back?

Sure am glad they removed the ticket and made a fast way for people to get back if they go there accidentally.
    NiightseekerJettLuvsUWillowRosenbergNeoTokyoDude
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited October 2016
    Member when mushmom was a big deal because it dropped ilbis
    Ohh ooh I member
    Lilyflower
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited October 2016
    I remember when fame was a big deal.
    NeoTokyoDude
  • NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

Remember when you accidentally blew 5,000 mesos on a ticket to Orbis, then found out you couldn't kill anything once there because you were like level 20something, and then had to either strip down and sell everything and/or panhandle for another 5k to get back?

Sure am glad they removed the ticket and made a fast way for people to get back if they go there accidentally.
    My first character I ever made in this game got trapped in Orbis at around level 7 or 8 and I had no way to get the mesos to get back to Victoria Island.
    Ah, the good ol' days where exploring could get you stranded on another continent. I miss that sense of exploration.

Remember when everyone would get a notification in the chat window when people killed Pink Bean? Back when it was one of the hardest bosses in the game. I can solo PB super easily now, but it was always something I've wanted to be able to do since I first found out about that adorable boss.
    WillowRosenberg
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2016
    I remember using a Low LUK build for my I/L...I remember when 50k damage was godly.
    NeoTokyoDude
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    Petalmagic

I remember using a Low LUK build for my I/L...I remember when 50k damage was godly.
    I remember when I could reach the then damage cap with my Blizzard. Boy that felt good.
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016