[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Marriage with same gender

RickozRickoz
Reactions: 220
Hello there,

I recently met someone ingame who is a male character on his main, so as I am. Now it happens we wanna get married, but that's not possible.
It's also not possible to change your gender.
My question, isn't it possible to unlock marriage with the same gender as you are? It would be perfect + why can't we do it in game, while it's possible in real life?

Sincerely, Rick
Mehiaaufeuz

Comments

• TerrorStreakTerrorStreak
    Reactions: 2,320
    edited February 2019
    They should just remove marriages altogether to avoid heated topics.
    HuskyDM
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    Rickoz wrote: »
    Hello there,

I recently met someone ingame who is a male character on his main, so as I am. Now it happens we wanna get married, but that's not possible.
    It's also not possible to change your gender.
    My question, isn't it possible to unlock marriage with the same gender as you are? It would be perfect + why can't we do it in game, while it's possible in real life?

Sincerely, Rick

Sorry about the guy up there. He's a little testy today.

While I personally don't see any issues with same-sex marriage being a thing, the game is developed by a South Korean company, and South Korea is not as friendly to things of that sort as other parts of the world may be. That may not even be what's stopping them from doing it, because mabinogi is made by the same company and, as far as I've been told, still has the option for same-sex marriage. So I guess the only answer I can confidently give you is that I simply don't know why they don't allow for it. It could be any number of reasons that I can only take shots in the dark at.

From a practical standpoint though, you're really not missing out on a whole lot. The only purpose marriage really serves in this game is a source of onyx apples by way of the armoria party quest. And I'm not sure if that's even still present, much less functioning, at this point.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    That may not even be what's stopping them from doing it, because mabinogi is made by the same company and, as far as I've been told, still has the option for same-sex marriage.
    Apparently Mabinogi only has this option in the NA version.
    So there could be multiple reasons such as NA development was still separate when this was added.
    Or perhaps the game was developed with less spaghetti making it easier for them to do changes like that.
    Whatever the reason may be, it is highly unlikely we will get same sex marriage for MapleStory.
    I would just ignore it, it's only asking for eDrama. If you have a significant other that also plays MapleStory, just cherish them irl instead.
    YinYangXHuskyDM
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    If you have a significant other that also plays MapleStory, just cherish them irl instead.

Exactly this.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    If you have a significant other that also plays MapleStory, just cherish them irl instead.

Exactly this.

I also approve of this
  • YuebunnyYuebunny
    Reactions: 310
    edited September 2019
    I want same gender marriage too!... i'm woman and hetero irl, and i have male characters i want to marry with other males!!! D: we are in 2019, nexon!
    GenkaiX1
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited September 2019
    To start off, nice seven-month necro to add absolutely nothing of value or relevance to the thread. You could've just said "me too" or "same" and accomplished the same thing with much less physical exertion on your part.

Moving on, the "it's <current year>" argument is absolute garbage. I'm tired of people using it. So what if it's 2019? I guarantee the developers don't give a damn what year it is. It's like someone in the US citing free speech to defend their garbage opinions; an effective admission that the only argument in favor of their position is that it's not literally illegal to express said opinion. It does nothing, it convinces no one and changes zero minds. In fact, the only thing it does do is plaster a big ol' sign on your forehead that says "I don't have a single persuasive argument in favor of this so I'll just attempt to shame you into giving me what I want".

If you want same-sex marriage in the game and think you can make the developers give a good goddamn about doing it, then you're going to have to come up with one hell of a better argument than it's 2019.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Same gender/sex marriage is a step backwards anyway. All it does in reinforce the gender setting in MapleStory.
    It should be removed if anything. This allows you to marry whoever the hell you want without having to worry about your characters being opposite.
    This also would mean that any item is equipable by any character, removing that weird region from 10-120 where things flip flop across genders.
    It also allow all characters to use any cash shop items because let's face it, some items work well on either and there's no reason they should be locked.

As for my opinion on the marriage system in general, see my earlier post.
    GenkaiX1
This discussion has been closed.