[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Memory Leak] Game not fully exiting on close

FuhreakFuhreak
Reactions: 7,440
Member, Private Tester
edited June 2019 in Tech Support
When exiting the steam version of the game, the game closes but doesn't actually end the processes.
This wastes about 1.3 GB of RAM for myself from the base game alone, the anti-hack system and a few other steam related things also still run.
Steam considers the game to still be running as does discord. Manually closing the main process closes all other related processes.
Souriadarik

Comments

• polerpoler
    Reactions: 725
    edited June 2019
    I have the same problem on the nexon launcher.
    Fuhreak
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited June 2019
    Also occur on my computer using steam launcher.
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited June 2019
    I noticed an occasion where Nexon Security did not close automatically after exiting MS.

When NX Security remained active, I could not open MapleStory through NX Launcher.

Only by closing NX Security via task manager and restarting my PC could I get the game to launch
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    scholar624 wrote: »
    I noticed an occasion where Nexon Security did not close automatically after exiting MS.

When NX Security remained active, I could not open MapleStory through NX Launcher.

Only by closing NX Security via task manager and restarting my PC could I get the game to launch

Yeah, this happens quite often. Sometimes the actual game itself is still showing as running in the Task Manager, and only through an End Process will you actually be able to a) close the game and stop the memory use and b) get back into the game via pushing play. B is particularly annoying because the launcher shows the blue play button, and gives you the prompt to accept, but never actually proceeds with the launching process due to Maple/Security still running from a previous launch.
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited June 2019
    This happens for me using the Nexon Launcher, I kept clicking "play" and the launcher would minimize, but game would never come up. Would maximize the launcher and the "play" button would be available again, I would click it and the launcher would minimize again, but again nothing would come up, a few seconds later I would check and the play button was available again... rinse wash and repeat.

Finally opened task manager and found that Maplestory and related components (such as black cipher) were still resident in memory (using approximately 1.3gb). After ending process in task manager and re-clicking the play button on the launcher the game would load normally.

So far, this has happened on every exit of the game, where I will need to load task manager and end the process manually before being able to re-open. the game. I can only imagine how many kids believe you need to restart your computer after every time you play the game...

I am using Windows 7 64bit if that helps.
  • SnakeboxSnakebox
    Reactions: 200
    edited June 2019
    Anyone have a fix on this? It's rather annoying to have to end it on the task manager each time. If you don't, it prevents the game from re-launching. Thought Nexon would get this right but guess not. Also, sometimes when it crashes or dc it stays on.
  • LuckyEagleLuckyEagle
    Reactions: 700
    edited June 2019
    happens to me to.. if any one have any way to fix this love to know..
  • polerpoler
    Reactions: 725
    edited June 2019
    This happens for me using the Nexon Launcher, I kept clicking "play" and the launcher would minimize, but game would never come up. Would maximize the launcher and the "play" button would be available again, I would click it and the launcher would minimize again, but again nothing would come up, a few seconds later I would check and the play button was available again... rinse wash and repeat.

Finally opened task manager and found that Maplestory and related components (such as black cipher) were still resident in memory (using approximately 1.3gb). After ending process in task manager and re-clicking the play button on the launcher the game would load normally.

So far, this has happened on every exit of the game, where I will need to load task manager and end the process manually before being able to re-open. the game. I can only imagine how many kids believe you need to restart your computer after every time you play the game...

I am using Windows 7 64bit if that helps.

Who here has also windows 7?
    xparasite9
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    Bumping this thead as this is still an issue. Also running Windows 7.
  • DollmobDollmob
    Reactions: 110
    Same happens to me on Windows 10, but quite often I cannot find Maple/NX Privacy still running but I have the icon of NX Privacy still going. Closing and reopening Nexon Launcher seems to clear it. Hope there's a fix to this soon.
    Souria
  • VihearVihear
    Reactions: 100
    edited August 2019
    They need to fix this because I have to task manager the thing every time I close the game and it shows the Nexon Security thing on my taskbar and when I check task manager it shows that maplestory.exe is still in memory.
  • ResetReset
    Reactions: 1,485
    edited August 2019
    Same problem for me, but using Nexon Launcher on Windows 10.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    Bump, this issue still exists and isn't listed on the upcoming patch's list of bug fixes.
  • JezJez
    Reactions: 1,600
    edited August 2019
    yeah i have to close game via task manager 100% of the time
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited August 2019
    When you want to quit just go with
    Taskmanger - MapleStory.exe - right click end process tree

Quit been broken for a while like that ( also you can avoid that survey/ad's ...annoying popup spams)
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    When you want to quit just go with
    Taskmanger - MapleStory.exe - right click end process tree

Quit been broken for a while like that ( also you can avoid that survey/ad's ...annoying popup spams)

An alternative way that you might find faster is to just type in "Maple" and hit Alt + E.
    Make sure MapleStory is the process you're actually ending though.
    WONDERGUY
  • IdiIdi
    Reactions: 220
    I am having this problem too
    HuskyDM
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    This issue still exists after both the main patch and unscheduled maint.
    If someone could forward/remind Nexon about this one.
  • DerekkuDerekku
    Reactions: 410
    edited October 2019
    Still an issue here, too. This is really annoying and shouldn't be happening with a game that's ~14 years old...
    WONDERGUY
  • OagdimOagdim
    Reactions: 200
    Can confirm this issue is still happening on windows 10