[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

State of the game?

BenDazzleBenDazzle
in General Chat
Hey, haven't been here for a few years ^_^ (about 10?)

Was wondering how the game is doing?
1.Is there enough community for group content?
2.Been told the game was kind a flooded with hackers... is that still the case?
3.How bad is the p2w lol? how much would you say one need to invest in order to be relevant?
4.Is there any "endgame content" to aspire to? like from a certain lvl a certain boss that everyone is farming ? or nothing to look up for?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited October 2019
    1. Nope. It's pretty much soloplestory, aside from really hard bosses.
    2. Still the case, and always will be the case.
    3. Theres a reason why this game is notoriously known for p2w. Probably need to spend couple hundred bucks if u want to be relevant (able to beat normal damien/lotus who are top middle bosses). There's a world called reboot, where trade between players doesn't exist. In this world you grind your life away, instead of money, to get stronger.
    4. There are endgame bosses that you can try when you reach certain level. As you level up, you can unlock new regions where end game bosses are. But level doesn't mean jack squat if you dont have good enough range to take on the bosses. If you want to beat those top endgame bosses, invest couple thousand bucks and look for people who also spent that much to party with
    YinYangXFuhreakStarryKnightKuronekonovaWONDERGUY
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    The biggest focus (to my knowledge) right now is the Black Mage boss and then trying to complete the Genesis Weapon afterwards.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited October 2019
    Hello, welcome back.

1. There has been a paradigm shift towards more Solo content. You can still do bosses and stuff in party but PQs and the like are not as prevalent anymore.
    2. It is, mostly hunting bots and advertising bots. Mostly harmless but nothing has been done to solve it either.
    3. Depends on your point of view. There are normal servers and the Reboot server. Reboot lacks trading but you can buy everything with Mesos and its completely F2P focused. Normal server progression depends on potential cubes which the better ones of can only be bought with NX, though there are many options to get potentials without paying a cent, as well as trading to get endgame tier equipment without having to beat the bosses, which with luck can mean you progress faster than Reboot even without paying. The game is mostly the same in both servers.
    4. Mostly bossing. Black Mage is out, and with him a huge 200+ area called the Arcane River which is the absolute Endgame for Maple. You can still experience the story without having to beat the boss itself as there are story modes for most important content. There are plenty of bosses and quests to do on the way, even before the Arcane River so there is a lot to do in the game.
    Fuhreakluna02Kuronekonova
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited October 2019
    Penguinz0 wrote: »
    ... If you want to beat those top endgame bosses, invest couple thousand bucks...

This guy knows.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited October 2019
    BenDazzle wrote: »
    Hey, haven't been here for a few years ^_^ (about 10?)

Was wondering how the game is doing?
    1.Is there enough community for group content?
    2.Been told the game was kind a flooded with hackers... is that still the case?
    3.How bad is the p2w lol? how much would you say one need to invest in order to be relevant?
    4.Is there any "endgame content" to aspire to? like from a certain lvl a certain boss that everyone is farming ? or nothing to look up for?

Cheers :)

Honestly just don't play this game. You can pick a completely random game from steam library and it's probably gonna be better than this dump. The reason why i keep playing is because I already spent some money on this game and I have online people that I socialize with. That's it. MS is boring, grindy game with constant rotation of reused event contents and incompetent dev teams. The sheer number of dumb f ups and sheer stupidity required for dev to pull off those f ups will make u laugh uncontrollably. Just play other games. I guarantee you'll be 1000 times happier that way
    WONDERGUY
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    Honestly just don't play this game. You can pick a completely random game from steam library and it's probably gonna be better than this dump.
    [...]
    Just play other games. I guarantee you'll be 1000 times happier that way

Stockholm syndrome. If you truely don't enjoy the game, just quit.
    Stop spreading doom and gloom just because YOU don't enjoy the game. There are plenty of others who still do.
    And if you DO enjoy the game and want it to improve, stop scaring off new people.
    MapleStory rising in popular is the only way Nexon is going to care about GMS.
    Eitherway, you are your own worst enemy. Stop that.
    HuskyDMKuronekonova
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited October 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

I already said the reason I'm still playing is because I spent a lot of money and I have people online I can socialize with. If even one of these two reasons don't exist, I would quit the game completely.
    And I just love "y u play if u dont like it" logic. If u play a game, then it must mean u love it and can only say positive things about it, right? The game has just enough to keep me from quitting completely (although my playtime is down to one tenth of what I used to play). Doesn't mean it's, in any way, a good game that I can't criticize.

Stop spreading doom and gloom just because YOU don't enjoy the game. There are plenty of others who still do.

The dude literally asked for the state of the game, and I gave him my honest opinion. You want him to join the game, go ahead and spread rainbows and sunshine about the game and try to muster up as many pros of MS as you can. I'm not gonna stop you from doing that. Don't tell me not to have negative opinion of MS just because YOU enjoy the game. There are plenty of others who don't.

And if you DO enjoy the game and want it to improve, stop scaring off new people.
    MapleStory rising in popular is the only way Nexon is going to care about GMS.
    Eitherway, you are your own worst enemy. Stop that.

So you already know that nx doesn't care about gms, but you still want the guy to join the game? Unlike you, I don't want people to go through miserable sludge state of this game in hopes of dev team to start give a crap. They had plenty of super influx of new players from previous major events (reboot, 5th job, Ark, BM and etc). Did they start working to improve the state of the game? No, they stayed as incompetent as ever and new waves of players simply left after event ended. If someone asks whether they should join the game or not, you answer them based on state of the game right now, not based on hopes for the future. You tell me I'm my own worst enemy. I can say exact same thing to you, since you'll continuously defend MS and nexon no matter how much of cr@p job they're doing with this game. Nexon caring about GMS is the only way MS is going to rise in popularity, not the other way around. How can it possibly get popular when they don't care about it hmmmm? Think about it
    SuperJonicMiraKuronekonova
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2019
    -snip-

Most of your recent threads and comments has been inflammatory FUD, and the ones that aren't tend to be highly negative to boot. You need to knock it off.

"Criticism" does not mean discouraging new players from joining just because you dislike playing.
    FuhreakHuskyDMKuronekonova
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited October 2019
    Neospector wrote: »
    -snip-

Most of your recent threads and comments has been inflammatory FUD, and the ones that aren't tend to be highly negative to boot. You need to knock it off.

"Criticism" does not mean discouraging new players from joining just because you dislike playing.

Why ignore the context? The op asked for the state of the game and is obviously looking to see whether he should join or not. Should I have followed my criticism with "but yeah, just ignore all those and join plz"? lol. Just like how "I would recommend [something] to my friends" is a praise, "I wouldn't recommend [something] to anyone" is a criticism.
    And while we have presence of almighty vfm, are you going to warn the other guy for "insult" and "personal attack" on other members? He did say I have Stockholm Syndrome lul.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    I already said the reason I'm still playing is because I spent a lot of money and I have people online I can socialize with. If even one of these two reasons don't exist, I would quit the game completely.
    And I just love "y u play if u dont like it" logic. If u play a game, then it must mean u love it and can only say positive things about it, right? The game has just enough to keep me from quitting completely (although my playtime is down to one tenth of what I used to play). Doesn't mean it's, in any way, a good game that I can't criticize.
    Talk to these people outside of the game. Multiple chat programs exist that most gamers use.
    As for money, just accept it as gone.
    As for negative/positive things about the game... Yes, I have plenty of negative opinions about the game and the way it's managed.
    But I don't post about only what I perceive as negative. When the context calls for it, I'll post about it.
    The dude literally asked for the state of the game, and I gave him my honest opinion.
    Sure. But as the VFM pointed out, this is basically all your posts. Just because one worked in context doesn't mean the others were called for.
    You already covered what needed to be said in the first post. The second post was uncalled for.
    Don't tell me not to have negative opinion of MS just because YOU enjoy the game. There are plenty of others who don't.
    If you have a negative opinion of the game without much positive, don't play it. Simple as that.
    If you want the game to improve however, you need to give constructive criticism that isn't just FUD.
    Did they start working to improve the state of the game? No, they stayed as incompetent as ever and new waves of players simply left after event ended
    Actually they did. Maple Memos where devs are trying to be more transparent with Maplers picked up. They hired about 100 new staff.
    They swapped their CMS again in hopes of doing better. They finally brought over the Korean CS. They gave an item to try to stomp out Kishin meta.
    Fact is, Nexon actually IS trying to improve GMS.

As for the "Maple needs new players to stay alive" type comment I made, this is true of all MMOs.
    They cannot survive without new players to replace any who quit. You seem to be trying to stop any and all new players from joining.

Again, if you don't like the game. Stop. Playing. To continue to play is to continue to torture yourself.
    IE: Stockholm Syndrome.
    HuskyDM
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019

I don't care about the rest of your post, so I'll respond to this. These are two of the weakest arguments I've ever seen for continuing to play a game you profess to hate that's run and maintained by a company you also profess to hate. Your first reason is nothing more than an example of the sunk cost fallacy. Your second reason is easily circumvented by the likes of discord, skype, etc. Find the people you socialize with ingame and get them onto discord, add em as friends or make a server to talk amongst yourselves in. There, one of your two reasons to keep playing has ceased to exist. Goodbye!
    FuhreakHuskyDM
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited October 2019
    Talk to these people outside of the game. Multiple chat programs exist that most gamers use.
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Your second reason is easily circumvented by the likes of discord, skype, etc. Find the people you socialize with ingame and get them onto discord, add em as friends or make a server to talk amongst yourselves in.

Cool. My two favorites who love to argue with me the most whenever I express anything negative. Save me the trouble of talking to you one at a time.
    As for y'all's "if you're chatting with online friends, do it on discord" argument, it's almost like I do more than just "talk" to socialize with people. It's almost like I'm also playing the game with my GAME friends, such as bossing and flag racing (WOWZERS! WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT!!!). You guys say staying in game you don't like because you're friends are online is a weak and stupid reason right? It's not. Playing with friends is what makes the most atrocious games bearable to play. For example, Fallout 76 was absolute crap game with no contents for first couple months when it came out. I still played the game and had good time because I played with my friends. I also hate what Overwatch has become and will never play it solo, but will always play when i get friends together to play with. Are you also going to tell me to quit those games and just talk with friends via discord? Again, really love y'all's "if you don't like it, don't play" logic, guys. A for effort.
    -

As for rest of your post, I'll try to keep it as short as possible to spare the OP of getting his thread locked for derailing argument you started.
    Your whole rant about only having negative opinion is extremely confusing. So I HAVE TO say both positive and negative opinion about the game? If you have both positive and negative things to say, then good for you. As for me, I pretty much only got negative things to say about game management, but you don't see me coming to bark at you when you say something positive, do you? And What do you mean "one worked in context"? Please direct me to a post where I, completely out of blue, started "doom and gloom" post that is not in context with rest of the thread. I only posts negative stuffs about nexon on threads where people are already crapping on nexon. When people ask whether to join or not, I put my criticism and tell them they're better off not playing because that's what I believe. You don't get to dictate which of my opinions are "uncalled for." And if you actually look at my posts, I actually try to answer legit in-game questions as properly and helpfully as possible. But, hell, even in those posts, you still try argue with me by being dramatic (i.e I'm apparently being insulting to a guy because I missed the part where he's soloing cra in reboot for "challenge" lul). Hell, this post is already getting long enough, I'll dm you the rest. For the future ref, if you see opinions you don't like, either ignore it and post your own opinion on original subject matter or DM the person directly so the thread doesn't get derailed.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019
    I dunno man, you just seem like you're really unhappy playing the game, even in spite of doing it with your friends. I don't know if you secretly like the game and just hate that it's in such a state of disrepair, or if you're just looking for a reason to be angry and to try and keep people from enjoying things.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    edited October 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    I dunno man, you just seem like you're really unhappy playing the game, even in spite of doing it with your friends. I don't know if you secretly like the game and just hate that it's in such a state of disrepair, or if you're just looking for a reason to be angry and to try and keep people from enjoying things.

DM for u too. Again, you're gonna get the thread locked for derailing. Either 1. ignore or 2. do it through dm.
    Edit: Also, is that zero tangible worth you're adding on this thread??? Shame on you~~ lul