[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Anti bot measures

LutionalLutional
Reactions: 510
edited October 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I transfered over from KMS to GMS recently, and one thing I find a lot is people using bots to farm.
In KMS, there was a captcha challenge once every while to ensure that the person was not using a bot, and failure to complete the challenge would result in punishments like closing the game or sending the player to a certain room.

They just activate once every while, but there is also an option to purchase "lie detector" and use it on other players.
DuskRaven
  1. Would you like it in the game?8 votes
    1. Yes
       50% (4 votes)
    2. No
       50% (4 votes)

Comments

• DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited October 2019
    Lutional wrote: »
    I transfered over from KMS to GMS recently, and one thing I find a lot is people using bots to farm.
    In KMS, there was a captcha challenge once every while to ensure that the person was not using a bot, and failure to complete the challenge would result in closing of the game.

I would rather see your phone verification. I've seen some of your previous players screw up the captchas and end up in that dark room.

Was there also a Find Violetta mini game that acted similarly to captchas?
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited October 2019
    In KMS, there was a captcha challenge once every while to ensure that the person was not using a bot, and failure to complete the challenge would result in closing of the game.

Somewhere I heard that the Lie Detector was taken away because people used it to troll people who were AFK.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019
    In KMS, there was a captcha challenge once every while to ensure that the person was not using a bot, and failure to complete the challenge would result in punishments like closing the game or sending the player to a certain room.

They just activate once every while, but there is also an option to purchase "lie detector" and use it on other players.

Well, bots already bypass the arrow inputs for runes, I can't imagine it would be a herculean task for them to bypass captchas as well.

I don't mean this to sound like doom and gloom "it won't help so why bother", but I'm sick to hell of all these "anti-bot measures" being added to the game that accomplish nothing beyond hindering and inconveniencing actual players while the bots just ignore every single bit of it. I'm reasonably certain that I'm not alone in feeling this way, too.
    Arch_AlyssaFuhreakPirateIzzyYinYangXKuronekonova
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited October 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Well, bots already bypass the arrow inputs for runes, I can't imagine it would be a herculean task for them to bypass captchas as well.

I don't mean this to sound like doom and gloom "it won't help so why bother", but I'm sick to hell of all these "anti-bot measures" being added to the game that accomplish nothing beyond hindering and inconveniencing actual players while the bots just ignore every single bit of it. I'm reasonably certain that I'm not alone in feeling this way, too.

I agree. Most of them are plain band-aid measures for a deep wound. Korea has little problems due to their laws and requirements, but here that's not the case. Nexon needs to do some real work because the problems keep pilling up.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    Lie detectors won't do anything regardless because bots usually change channels faster than you can load in anyway.
    If anything Nexon needs to change the server handles data related to these hacks.
    Hackers might be able to fool their own client, but if the servers were updated to be more secure, they can't hack that.
    Of course if they do this not only do they have to spend time/money on something that only affects non-KMS, but the server load will be higher as well.
    HuskyDM
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited October 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Lie detectors won't do anything regardless because bots usually change channels faster than you can load in anyway.
    If anything Nexon needs to change the server handles data related to these hacks.
    Hackers might be able to fool their own client, but if the servers were updated to be more secure, they can't hack that.
    Of course if they do this not only do they have to spend time/money on something that only affects non-KMS, but the server load will be higher as well.

I believe they should do so, who cares its non-KMS. Our service is not based in Korea and needs its own made to order solutions and that's not a bad thing.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »

I believe they should do so, who cares its non-KMS. Our service is not based in Korea and needs its own made to order solutions and that's not a bad thing.

You're absolutely right. There need to be measures tailored specifically to the problems gms has, not just copypasted from kms.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    [...]
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    [...]
    Of course I agree, but it's very unlikely to happen due to that very fact. We're not KMS and I doubt they're jumping at the chance to throw more money our way.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2019
    An unfortunate reality
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited October 2019
    They really should increase the budget here, the game kinda needs it. This makes me wonder how do the other non-Korean Maplestory services are doing, and if they are in such a dire situation.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2019
    From what I understand, most of the Asia-based services are doing well, especially cms. It's just gms that's the black sheep of the bunch. They could easily dumpster all of gms and it probably wouldn't register so much as a blip on their finances.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited October 2019
    What a surprise, doing bad in a region where MMOs aren't popular while neglecting to fix it. Who's fault it is though? Is it GMS just being negligent or is it our Korean overlords not allowing fixes to go through?
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2019
    It's probably mostly on the Korean end of things, seeing as everything comes from the devs in Korea.
    Fuhreak