[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Anyone else really not like the new event format?

xMrMeowxMrMeow
Reactions: 1,625
Member, Private Tester
edited December 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I haven't really been interested in the new events at all because of this new "tiers" thing where you have to pay tons of coins in order to just be able to access a new shop.

I feel like it just forces you to play so much and grind so many coins just to be able to buy the stuff you want.

I miss just getting event coins and buying the stuff I want and not having to play for weeks to get to the tier, then grind further to get to the individual items.
ClawStaff

Comments

• ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    Yeah I preferred getting immediate access to things when I had enough coins, not spend coins to unlock tiers to spend more coins.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited December 2019
    I really love that maple relay now is just abput stayibg ligged in, before u had to do pollo x times,participate in wolf, clear an elite boss and use 2 runes, that was a lot of effort everyday and i had to give up most of the times cuz i didnt have time or didnt feel like farming.
    So this new change is amazing imo
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    @darik You're talking about a completely different type or aspect of events than this post seems to be but ok.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2019
    Events are designed, and intended, to keep as many people logged in for as long and consistently as possible. Look at the relay event, three hours you need to stay logged in to get full daily rewards from it. Look at the afk area in the outpost map; it's literally designed to keep people logged in.
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    True, these are still a different kind of event than OP is talking about but I'll talk about those anyway. I wish they weren't designed for afk especially the ones where you specifically have to idle in order to earn them by having designated spots or chairs you have to sit in to earn points.

What good does having so many players logged in do if all you want them to do is sit around. I wish they would change those so that you earn points while doing literally anything while logged in for that time. That way people that like to idle still can and it doesn't detract from people who actually want to play the game.

The way those types of events are now you either sit and get a ton of points and coins, or actively play the game and get a bare minimum amount from boxes or an occasional minigame (which also interrupts you playing the game like you want).

The multiple sources of points for these events should be alternatives, not have one be much better than the other. If I decide to play minigames all day, afk all day, or grind exp all day they should all reward me with the same amount of points for being in game for the same amount of time.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited December 2019
    What good does it do? Metrics. The more people you have online for longer, and consistent periods, the better and more active your game looks. So what if solidly 70% of them are sitting afk in a single map?
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited December 2019
    I do miss when events had everything available and you could just pick whatever you wanted.
    the coins usually had a not super great drop rate but its pretty much the same as the glory/black mage/ summer event had
    it sucks that this is how they are keeping players in.
    However this also gave some direction and you can say a sense of urgency to get the coins since you had limited time and you have to spend wisely.

to summarize maybe a pro and con list would help.

Pros:
    Event is organized and split into sections .
    limited coins per day stops someone no life farming .
    gives something to look forward too content wise.
    slight sense of acheivement
    rank up rewards and exclusive stuff often given depending on ranking at end of event

Cons:
    limited coins per day means you are forced to play pretty much everyday.
    practically requires being consistently active while consistently farming .
    rank ups almost forcing you to have to grind on at least 1 alt - most grind on 3-5 alts to afford the later items on main.
    most expensive single prices on coin shops ever.
    casual players will have a harder time keeping up if they want to fully tier up.
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    I would understand the metrics being a reason why them making the events this way if they even really meant anything at this point (which even if it was the case, is the reason I mentioned that doing anything for the same amount of time should reward you the same amount of coins, it won't push the idlers out that way then). Tbh though at this point MapleStory has existed long enough that most people that aren't already playing this game probably won't decide to because of the number of players online at any given time, or even look at the metrics at all (many of them either quit, and don't want to come back, or simply aren't interested in this game). And unless the worlds become almost completely empty or something change or bug happens that really annoys someone if they're already playing they also won't quit the game simply because the number of players drops.

If you're mentioning metrics because of a stockholder perspective though, I believe that making events work the way I suggest should still give the investors the numbers they're looking for, because the playing itself wouldn't generate points for the event, simply being online for that time would.
  • xMrMeowxMrMeow
    Reactions: 1,625
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    My main issue with the new tiered coin shop system is if you have a full time job, I think the new events are just too time consuming to get the later tier rewards.
    I could spend weeks just getting the coins to hit the tier for the 1 item I want.

The tiered shops could work if the tiers were reached passively or unlocked by playing for at least an hour a day for x amount of days for each tier. I think that's perfectly fair.

I just remember the first one of these with the huge black mage update. After like two weeks I was like "ughhh all my coins are going to these tier ups and it takes like 3 hours to max out on coins each dayyyy".

Basically, the old event format I looked forward to playing each day and felt it was a more reasonable amount of time each day to get the stuff I wanted, and now I feel like all the stuff I want would require me to play 3 hours a day for a month straight, which would totally burn me out of the game.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited December 2019
    xMrMeow wrote: »
    My main issue with the new tiered coin shop system is if you have a full time job, I think the new events are just too time consuming to get the later tier rewards.
    I could spend weeks just getting the coins to hit the tier for the 1 item I want.

The tiered shops could work if the tiers were reached passively or unlocked by playing for at least an hour a day for x amount of days for each tier. I think that's perfectly fair.

I just remember the first one of these with the huge black mage update. After like two weeks I was like "ughhh all my coins are going to these tier ups and it takes like 3 hours to max out on coins each dayyyy".

Basically, the old event format I looked forward to playing each day and felt it was a more reasonable amount of time each day to get the stuff I wanted, and now I feel like all the stuff I want would require me to play 3 hours a day for a month straight, which would totally burn me out of the game.

How was it taking you three hours? It never took me more than 30-45 minutes, an hour absolute maximum, at the highest tier(500 coins per day). And the way people got around that, though I don't know if it helps you any, was to farm coins on their main and a mule and only use the mule's coins for tier-ups.

That said, I do agree that the gradual shift from active involvement to "let's pad our metrics and throw them a bone every couple weeks or so" kind of blows.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited December 2019
    cough diamond rank perks or die grind-farm cough