[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

get rid of anonymity in Auction House

TrystarrTrystarr
Reactions: 1,450
edited April 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
It seems unecessary to not mention the in game name of people selling items in the Auction House. Providing the character name would allow people to make offers on items, and would at least help mitigate the purchasing of illegal items (i.e. don't buy from the ign 'VwVWV356G'). It is the replacement for Free Market stores after all, which had transparency in who you were transacting with.
JettLuvsUWONDERGUYMageOfBattles

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2020
    Trystarr wrote: »
    It is the replacement for Free Market stores after all, which had transparency in who you were transacting with.

You seem to be under the impression that bots didn't make use of those as well. Simple enough matter to transfer things to a more "legit-sounding" character name and then sell them like that. I'll give you, though, that it's become far more blatant with the auction house.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited April 2020
    you will rather get ban for name and shame then organised movement anti botters
    just like MSEA guy that got jail just for scam and not for botting & ilegal tradeing
    (i belive its fake news but nvm)

in other hand it will help to negotiate for price but it was allready suggested so many times
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    Reactions: 1,450
    edited April 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Trystarr wrote: »
    It is the replacement for Free Market stores after all, which had transparency in who you were transacting with.

You seem to be under the impression that bots didn't make use of those as well. Simple enough matter to transfer things to a more "legit-sounding" character name and then sell them like that. I'll give you, though, that it's become far more blatant with the auction house.

You are mistaken - that's not my impression. What I am suggesting is that if other people want to buy from botters that's there perogative to roll the dice, but I would prefer I have the option of knowing the in game name before I do these expensive transactions (and again, asking for vouches/references).

Yes, there are ways to get around that. just like there would be in any context of this trade, but it would certainly help mitigate it (I.e 'reputable' sellers, aka the vouch system blackmarket maple runs on, or if you're buying end gear in a lower populated server there's a decent probability you would know the seller).

Anyway, I didn't make too strong of an assertion in that regard for a reason, the main issue being resolved is negotiating price, a pretty fundamental aspect to every economy (online or not).

I know it's been brought up before, but it's just pathetic it got swept under the rug.
    WONDERGUYJettLuvsU
  • TerrorStreakTerrorStreak
    Reactions: 2,320
    edited April 2020
    i like anonymity and would hate to be whispered and bugged for better pricing lol, also if i snipe someone's mistake listing a 10 b item incorrectly for 1b and they would have a way to track me to try to put pressure on me for capitalizing on their mistake... anonymous is fantastic
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    I don't want people bothering me to haggle on my items or be able to see if I sniped something and harass me over that. Anonymity should be optional, if anything.
    If it's reasonably priced, someone will buy it, if not the seller will eventually adjust the price in order to get it sold.
    The better solution to negotiating prices would be to add a buy-tab to auction house, or an actual auction feature.

Botters gonna bot and make their money regardless, I'll leave it to Nexon to sort that out, it's exhausting to keep track of legitimate vs illegitimate sellers. And like Aggraphine said, they can just transfer inventory over to a more legit-looking character, which was the case pre-AH too. Except those "^_^BOSS^_^" titled shops, they didn't even try to hide it and still sold out, so...

The one thing that is spooky about anonymity is when it comes to stolen items and hacked accounts. I don't know if they still do chain-bans for anyone who ever unknowingly had contact with stolen items anymore though. Hopefully they've realized how stupid that was.
    You can get around it by being in server-discords where they'll warn about stolen items circulating. Usually it's higher-end gear that doesn't even get put in AH though.