[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Would it be too much to ask...

AggraphineAggraphine
Reactions: 19,415
edited March 2017 in General Chat
For someone, say, representing Nexon to respond to some, or all, of the threads regarding the removal of directly launching the game via gamelauncher.exe and the switch to solely supporting the Nexon Launcher and launching via Steam?

I ask this because, since the initial announcement of this plan, I don't believe anyone has acknowledged it, save for mods who only interjected to keep things civil. I do not recall a point, prior to Arwoo making himself known, at which OneLetter or Saygo, who was acting as interim CM after Michael was let go, ever addressed the issue.

And since its initial announcement, sometime back near the end of February I believe, there have been steady pleas from player to Nexon, asking them to reconsider, postpone or even completely scrap the planned change.

It could go a long way toward relieving tensions all around, I feel, for someone to acknowledge these concerns.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Arwoo addressed it in his introduction/AMA thread:
    Arwoo wrote: »
    With the direct launch being removed announcement I've seen many of the concerns over this decision.

However, I can assure you that because we're moving to a more centralized method of launching MapleStory, that we will be making huge improvements to the launcher. Not just the launcher, but the patching system as well since many players have made reports that the game forces the client to be patched on numerous occasions.

Despite this, if players are still unable to access the game, please let our CS team know and they'll do everything within their power to make sure you're able to get back into the game.

Which is basically the same as the original announcement.

He and SavageAce repeated this same line on the "AMA" live stream.

I think that at this point it's quite clear Nexon will not tell us the real reason for the removal of the only reliable method for launching the game, and will not respond to any of our objections.
    And if some players can no longer play, well, there are plenty more where they came from, right?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Arwoo addressed it in his introduction/AMA thread:
    Arwoo wrote: »
    With the direct launch being removed announcement I've seen many of the concerns over this decision.

However, I can assure you that because we're moving to a more centralized method of launching MapleStory, that we will be making huge improvements to the launcher. Not just the launcher, but the patching system as well since many players have made reports that the game forces the client to be patched on numerous occasions.

Despite this, if players are still unable to access the game, please let our CS team know and they'll do everything within their power to make sure you're able to get back into the game.

Which is basically the same as the original announcement.

He and SavageAce repeated this same line on the "AMA" live stream.

I think that at this point it's quite clear Nexon will not tell us the real reason for the removal of the only reliable method for launching the game, and will not respond to any of our objections.
    And if some players can no longer play, well, there are plenty more where they came from, right?

So basically the only acknowledgement that's been given is a generalized all-encompassing "we know some people have issues, but we're still doing it anyway and we know these problems won't be problems after this Great Leap Forward™ to a better gaming experience for everyone", even though there are a good few people who simply can't use it or Steam?
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    At least get some people replying and forwarding the issues to the Dev's so that the launcher can be getting weekly updates for the people that can't run it.

I'm sure allot of the issues people are having can be made into a FAQ. Like that at least people might have a recourse to check if it might help them.

Dude it's not just the fact the Nexon launcher doesn't work , the thing is some people just don't want to use it as it's an extra program and uses up more resources thus making the game run worse. I couldn't care less if the Nexon Launcher starts working for me I want the gamelauncher back.... I don't have a great PC and Nexon NA are never good at optimizing things. Even if they optimize Nexon Launcher I just don't want to use it..... it's always had issues and even if they do fix them I am sure that more would come up. Not to mention the fact it has less features than the game launcher, if you want to swap account that now takes longer I mean really.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    At least get some people replying and forwarding the issues to the Dev's so that the launcher can be getting weekly updates for the people that can't run it.

I'm sure allot of the issues people are having can be made into a FAQ. Like that at least people might have a recourse to check if it might help them.

Launcher getting weekly updates.
    Very funny.
    Going by my experience of many years with Nexon, I predict the launcher will remain exactly as it is for a long long time.
    Whenever Nexon America introduces a barely-functional system and promises to improve it in the future, somehow the improvements become a very low priority and the system remains as it is forever unless it breaks down completely.
    Consider these forums, which haven't even gotten the custom avatars we were told were coming real soon, six months ago, and of course nothing else that we asked for/about in the feedback thread. For that matter, consider the old forums, which had issues dating back years that were never addressed.
    Consider the "revamped" website, for which they even created a feedback thread on the old forums, of which absolutely nothing was implemented.
    Consider the change to UTC, about which we were told, repeatedly, that content times would be reevaluated - and yet Flag Races, Kritias Invasions, Orchid calling, Yu Garden Night Market, and everything else that is time-dependent has not been changed.
    The way it seems to me, once something is out the door, any changes to it go back to the end of the development queue, because something else needs to be pushed out first.

The only updates I see coming to Nexon Launcher are desperate attempts to keep hackers from continuing to multi-client and bot unimpeded.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017

Very funny.
    Going by my experience of many years with Nexon, I predict the launcher will remain exactly as it is for a long long time.
    Whenever Nexon America introduces a barely-functional system and promises to improve it in the future, somehow the improvements become a very low priority and the system remains as it is forever unless it breaks down completely.
    Consider these forums, which haven't even gotten the custom avatars we were told were coming real soon, six months ago, and of course nothing else that we asked for/about in the feedback thread. For that matter, consider the old forums, which had issues dating back years that were never addressed.
    Consider the "revamped" website, for which they even created a feedback thread on the old forums, of which absolutely nothing was implemented.
    Consider the change to UTC, about which we were told, repeatedly, that content times would be reevaluated - and yet Flag Races, Kritias Invasions, Orchid calling, Yu Garden Night Market, and everything else that is time-dependent has not been changed.
    The way it seems to me, once something is out the door, any changes to it go back to the end of the development queue, because something else needs to be pushed out first.

The only updates I see coming to Nexon Launcher are desperate attempts to keep hackers from continuing to multi-client and bot unimpeded.

It's definitely improved since I started using it sometime back in early 2015. Back then, if you clicked start game at any point while the servers were down, it would download the entire game again. It has since stopped.

It's definitely improved, but it has a ways to go yet.
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Very funny.

It's definitely improved since I started using it sometime back in early 2015. Back then, if you clicked start game at any point while the servers were down, it would download the entire game again. It has since stopped.

People are still reporting that it tries to download the entire game.
    There are ways to stop it doing that, but we should not need to stop it, delete files, click repair, and hope. The whole idea of a launcher is that it will do the right thing, not that you can coerce it to do the right thing.
    GameLauncher was a lot more solid, perhaps because it was so simplistic. It just plain would not launch until the servers were up, so there was none of this trying to update before the update is ready. It's kind of funny that Arwoo's statement seems to imply that the patching process that people were complaining about was the one tied to direct launch.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually, but whether or not the damage done to reputation and player opinion will be reversible remains to be seen
    JettLuvsU
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Very funny.

Sure it has improved (I couldn't even install the launcher before) BUT it won't EVER be as good as using gamelauncher as it's an extra program with less features and not even optimized/made well.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited March 2017
    If you're not a fan of the nexon launcher, try using steam instead. it's currently my preferred method of launching the game and i run into no issues with it.