[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

My experience helping out Nexon with an issue.

MaryseMaryse
Reactions: 6,640
edited October 2016 in General Chat
Do you guys remember when we first got Momijigaoka and the main map was super laggy for some people? So much that Hayato and Kanna were unplayable for a little while while Nexon worked on a fix.
I helped Nexon finding the cause of that lag. I don't exactly remember who the culprit was, but it was one of the new NPCs.

Before I get into it, I will say that my NDA has expired as of today. I signed my NDA on October 24th, 2013 and it is good for 3 years. I also sent a ticket to Nexon with the screenshots I'm about to show you guys to make sure that it was okay to share because I feel like it was a pretty cool moment to be part of.

So anyway, long story short, we had a bit of a NPC party in an empty map.
Developers were spawning in NPCs to see which one would make me lag/crash and then I would report to them if I was fine, and obviously they would know if I lagged or crashed. The crashing happened a lot, I made different characters to see if it affected other characters or simply the Kanna/Hayato. We eventually found out the culprit.

Here are the screenshots I'm allowed to show you:
This first screenshot is just of me, a few developers, CM Hime and Waltzing.
At first I was concerned about the weird named characters entering the map and I thought that some random people/hackers found us. Nah, turned out it was just the devs.

Here's the map full of NPCs:

I believe that shortly after, there was a maintenance to fix the lag from the NPC who caused it. I think they just ended up removing the NPC entirely.

It was a really interesting and unique experience and I'm happy to finally be able to show the screenshots I took while it was happening.
JettLuvsUCatoooloooastrosnotIvangold

Comments

• ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited October 2016
    I wonder when my NDA expires. Not that I even want to share anything from private talks. Please nobody post screenshots of what I said. I pissed off several people so it'll probably happen lol
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited October 2016
    What NPC did they remove in the end? Is it the oneth the blue helmet? I don't think I remember seeing him? But then again, it's been a while since I've been to Momiigaoka.
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    PhoenixKumo

What NPC did they remove in the end? Is it the oneth the blue helmet? I don't think I remember seeing him? But then again, it's been a while since I've been to Momiigaoka.
    Oh man, I couldn't tell you, I really don't remember.
  • NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    NPC party! That's actually pretty cool and interesting.
  • DepressedAranDepressedAran
    Reactions: 640
    edited October 2016
    Made a user sign a 3 year NDA over a simple bug report. Lmao Nexon.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Arlong
    Arlong said:

I wonder when my NDA expires. Not that I even want to share anything from private talks. Please nobody post screenshots of what I said. I pissed off several people so it'll probably happen lol
    You're under an NDA with Nexon?

OT this is really cool. Always neat to see developers go in game and do something like this.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

Arlong
    Arlong said:

You're under an NDA with Nexon?

OT this is really cool. Always neat to see developers go in game and do something like this.
    Yeah, MLC and all that. From what I heard from someone who didn't think much of NDAs I guess, Arlong had a fair few "wait, you're serious?" ideas.
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    DepressedAran

Made a user sign a 3 year NDA over a simple bug report. Lmao Nexon.
    I was under NDA because I'm a former Volunteer.
    Didn't think it was worth mentioning since a lot of people knew that already, especially on here.
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited October 2016
    It's not so much my ideas they hated but what I said to them and also my behavior.
    Haven't heard much from my haters though. I don't keep up with what they do because I just don't care. Last I checked one is banned and probably others quit by now. Now that I think about it, one of them from whom I remember being overjoyed because he got banned, said he had evidence enough that could get me banned too based on our private chats. He doesn't. I've said things that I would be embarrassed now over and got into fights but never said anything or talked about having done something that could get me banned. Sort of derail

@depressedaran no Maryse was under nda because she is a former volunteer. They just happened to ask her for help I assume to solve a lag problem
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    Arlong
    Arlong said:

@depressedaran no Maryse was under nda because she is a former volunteer. They just happened to ask her for help I assume to solve a lag problem
    Mhmm, I happened to be one of the people affected by the lag and since I was a Volunteer, they decided to let me help them.
    It took about 30 minutes with all of the different things we tried out.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    wow interesting. love how developers are very much just like us the players!
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

wow interesting. love how developers are very much just like us the players!
    It was really cool to actually meet a few devs since you don't see them around at all 'cause they're working behind the scenes.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Arlong
    Arlong said:

It's not so much my ideas they hated but what I said to them and also my behavior.
    Haven't heard much from my haters though. I don't keep up with what they do because I just don't care. Last I checked one is banned and probably others quit by now. Now that I think about it, one of them from whom I remember being overjoyed because he got banned, said he had evidence enough that could get me banned too based on our private chats. He doesn't. I've said things that I would be embarrassed now over and got into fights but never said anything or talked about having done something that could get me banned. Sort of derail

Honestly I forgot you were in the MLC....lol

And I'm pretty sure I know which member you are talking about. He talked a lot of on Reddit. Overall I believe that the MLC could have been way more successful if Nexon hadn't chosen a lot of streamers to be on it. They seemed to be the problem members (except Bumbertyrr, I know he has a youtube channel, IDK about twitch though, but he always seemed level headed to me). Of course this is coming from an outside perspective so I may be totally off.
    Lilyflower
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

Arlong
    Arlong said:

Honestly I forgot you were in the MLC....lol

And I'm pretty sure I know which member you are talking about. He talked a lot of on Reddit. Overall I believe that the MLC could have been way more successful if Nexon hadn't chosen a lot of streamers to be on it. They seemed to be the problem members (except Bumbertyrr, I know he has a youtube channel, IDK about twitch though, but he always seemed level headed to me). Of course this is coming from an outside perspective so I may be totally off.
    He's got a youtube channel, yeah, but that's more of "I wanna talk about a thing, so I need a place to put a video" kind of thing. I don't think he streams at all, but hits up Michael's streams now and then.
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited October 2016
    Must be a wondrous feeling; being able to not only share your experience but be appreciated by the community for the efforts you put forth throughout your time assisting.

To say I'm a little jealous would be akin to claiming the ocean is a little wet.
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    scholar624

Must be a wondrous feeling; being able to not only share your experience but be appreciated by the community for the efforts you put forth throughout your time assisting.

To say I'm a little jealous would be akin to claiming the ocean is a little wet.
    Something else that I just remembered.
    I think this was also the time that I actually let Nexon onto my account but I'm not entirely sure. It might have been an entirely different issue completely.
    I remember telling my guild to not say stupid things while they were on my account.

They say Nexon representatives will NEVER ask for your password, but I guess there's exceptions to that rule ;)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Wait, you crashed but none of them did?
    Maryse
    Maryse said:

scholar624

Something else that I just remembered.
    I think this was also the time that I actually let Nexon onto my account but I'm not entirely sure. It might have been an entirely different issue completely.
    I remember telling my guild to not say stupid things while they were on my account.

They say Nexon representatives will NEVER ask for your password, but I guess there's exceptions to that rule ;)
    They don't need your password, and they don't need to ask.
    If they feel they need to investigate something on your account, they just log onto it. Sometimes even kick you off to do it. And then you try to log back in and discover your PIC has been reset and you get the "different IP" message and you panic.
    (Speaking from personal experience)

I guess they were a bit more respectful of you.
    Lilyflower
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Wait, you crashed but none of them did?
    They don't need your password, and they don't need to ask.
    If they feel they need to investigate something on your account, they just log onto it. Sometimes even kick you off to do it. And then you try to log back in and discover your PIC has been reset and you get the "different IP" message and you panic.
    (Speaking from personal experience)

I guess they were a bit more respectful of you.
    It was a glitch that didn't affect everyone, and I was one of the ones affected. So if I lagged, doesn't mean that they would lag.
    I guess they wanted to see if it was something related to my account that might have caused the lag. They also asked for my computer specs at the time. Made me do a couple tests.
    I remember Hime asking me for my permission to let them onto my account. I also think that it was NxK that was on my account.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited October 2016
    I'm guessing the NPCs were Cassandra and/or Gaga that made people lag.
  • MaryseMaryse
    edited October 2016
    PirateIzzy

I'm guessing the NPCs were Cassandra and/or Gaga that made people lag.
    It wasn't.
    It was one of the new NPCS.