[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Bug type: Stability
Brief bug summary:
The MapleStory client sometimes enters an abnormal state, that can only be cleared by a Full Shutdown of the computer. More details:
The symptoms of this abnormal state include:
(forumers are encouraged to add symptoms they have observed to the list)
- Cutscenes get stuck.
- Harvesting/Mining does not work.
- Monsters don't display their name and HP bar, even when set to do so.
- Top-of-the-screen quest progress notices are not displayed (Quest Helper window works fine)
- Blaze Wizard's Orbital Flames skill does no damage to enemies.
- Ice/Lightning Mage Frozen Orb skill does no damage to enemies.
- Kaiser's Wingbeat skill does no damage to enemies.
- Bowmaster's Arrow Platter arrows do no damage to enemies.
- Kaiser/AB's Vertical Grapple (and V skill Rope Lift) only works once per map.
- Evan's Dragon Glide, and Demon Slayer/Avenger glide, and gliding mounts, keep going even after the key is released.
- Kanna's Bellflower Barrier and Blossom Barrier appear on the map but don't affect the character.
- Monsters in Monster Life bob in one place.
- Magnus (any difficulty) flies into an anti-hack rage, raining deadly meteors far denser than usual, OR No meteors appear at all.
- Continuous damage is sustained even inside Magnus' barrier.
- The first few lines of chat after starting the game or being silent for a while, are not sent.
Lines in whisper/party/buddy/guild/alliance chat look to the speaker as if they were sent, but no-one receives them. Lines in "all" chat don't show up even for the speaker. Commands given in chat window (such as "/find") do nothing.
After a handful of such ignored lines, chat resumes normally, for a while. After a period of silence, it stops working again.
Changing in-game settings, shutting down the MapleStory client, or even re-installing it, does not change anything. The only known cure is a Full Shutdown and restart of the computer, as apparently a Hybrid/Quick Restart preserves whatever it was that got corrupted.
(For Windows 8 users, forumer YourSuperior
suggests following the instructions of this website http://www.howtogeek.com/129021/how-to-do-a-full-shutdown-in-windows-8-without-disabling-hybrid-boot
to do a full shutdown)
This has been reported on Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Steps to reproduce:
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be consistently reproducible :-(