[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unable to Cast Life-Saving Buffs in Ardentmill

PyroPyro
Reactions: 725
edited March 2018 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Functionality
Brief bug summary: Cannot cast Magic Guard (or other buffs) while in Ardentmill.
Steps to reproduce: Enter Ardentmill and then attempt to cast Magic Guard (or any other buff, preferably life-saving like Holy Magic Shell, Hyper Body, or Dark Sight).
Date and time of the incident: March 8, 2018 [9:00pm Pacific]
Character/World: Seemingly irrelevant

More details: Ardentmill can be accessed in field maps where extremely dangerous monsters are located via the Production Skill window (profession hotkey). While in Ardentmill you might auto-dc or just decide to disconnect without thinking. Upon logging back in, a buff such as Magic Guard will no longer be active and cannot be re-casted. It is not uncommon for the character spawn points in maps to place you in a dangerous spot (even if there are safe platforms available on the map). As such, exiting Ardentmill could potentially place your squishy magic-guardless mage or similarly vulnerable character right on a tough mob that kills you in one hit before you can cast the buff.

Solution thoughts: Make a mage's Magic Guard passive or at least save its toggle state across disconnects. Saving toggle states would generally be beneficial to all other classes that have a toggle skill. However, that still doesn't fix skills with a duration like the ones listed earlier. I personally think that enabling some of the important buffs (or maybe just all lol) in Ardentmill is the only sensible solution. I doubt the lag they cause is that hindering to low-end computers such that important game functionality has to be restricted (and if it is THAT hindering, the player is going to have problems everywhere in game anyways, so why is Ardentmill different?).

Comments

• FreeTempoFreeTempo
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if all skills were available in the Ardentmill and maybe even lowering or removing the cooldown. I'm not sure what Nexon's intentions were when they decided to allow players to teleport to Ardentmill anyways, but I'm sure most people are glad that its even a feature. I mainly play Reboot but I don't think the traffic in Ardentmill is comparable to the more active non-Reboot worlds. It'd be nice as most people in Reboot pop their MVP Atmospheric buffs in Ardentmill since it is easily accessible and not a level restricted area like Easy Cygnus. Popping a guild buff and maybe even an echo during these little gatherings is pretty neat of the community too. I can understand your frustration, but there was a point in time where Ardentmill was expected to have heavy traffic when professions were introduced. Just like when Free Market was the heart of buying and selling, Nexon eventually made it so you could only use movement skills (probably when super flashy full map skills became more common). I can also understand why you would probably prefer Ardentmill as your choice to quickly sell items, access the storage or even AFK for a few minutes. If you happen to be at least level 140, you could consider using Easy Cygnus as another option if you decide to AFK. You won't have to worry about not being able to buff there at the very least.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2018
    This is not a bug. Nexon specifically changed Ardentmill so that only movement skills can be used (atmospheric buffs, being items, are typically exempt). Many maps do this (such as the event maps for Detective Kemdi, for example. Free Market maps, those that still exist anyway, are also like this), and this change happened quite some time ago, at least before October 2017.

Typically the reasoning is that attacking and buffing skills can cause lag, especially in areas where large numbers of people gather and AFK, and in areas were there isn't a need to attack or buff against anything. Active skills are blocked so that large, screen-shaking, flashy skills don't hinder other players in the map.
  • CeominCeomin
    Reactions: 735
    edited March 2018
    You can still cast buffs in the mines in the bottom right if i recall correctly, so just go down there first.
    Pyro