[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Regional Transfers?

RoseoleRoseole
Reactions: 760
Member, Private Tester
edited December 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Is it possible to have a one-off event where we can transfer our accounts to different regions? I'm mostly talking about Reboot NA to Reboot EU as when Reboot first came out there wasn't a EU version out so many European players are stuck in NA. This becomes an issue when you get to late game as many bossing mechanics require a low ping to be able to successfully defeat them, not to mention it's a much more smoother experience playing with lower ping in general and as a EU player our ping gets ridiculously high playing on NA servers.

So would it be possible in the future to open up a one-off event that would allow us to transfer our accounts to EU servers?

And if you don't forsee this being possible in the future, can we be told so that I'm not wasting my time playing on NA when I know there isn't going to be a possibility of transferring to EU.

I'd love an official response on this matter as most player speculation so far has been "It's too difficult to do"; is this really the case?

Thank you!

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Roseole wrote: »
    "It's too difficult to do"; is this really the case?

Most likely, yes.

Evidence points to the EU and NA servers being two distinct databases. Migrating all character data would be exceedingly difficult to start (and would likely have to be manually transferred without infrastructure connecting the two databases). Further, because they are separate databases, players have conflicting names (names are only shared per-region), complicating matters.

If you want my personal opinion, without knowing the exact structure of the databases, I would assume it isn't possible without a major overhaul. You would be better off dealing with the ping, or recreating your character on the EU server.

I cannot speak officially, however.
    YinYangX
  • RoseoleRoseole
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for that insightful post! That's kind of the answer I'd love to hear from Nexon employees. It would help make the decision to continue with ping lag or not if I knew it's probably not possible to transfer.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2018
    Roseole wrote: »
    Thank you for that insightful post! That's kind of the answer I'd love to hear from Nexon employees. It would help make the decision to continue with ping lag or not if I knew it's probably not possible to transfer.

For consideration is the fact that EU reboot, from what I've heard, is fairly light on population. It was good for EU players to add that reboot server, but it's always felt like too little, too late. They should've planned for euro-side reboot within a couple of months of the ems migration, not a couple of years.
    SuperboiFuhreakSlicedTime
  • RoseoleRoseole
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    I agree. Perhaps opening up region transfers would help balance this out a bit?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    Perhaps, but then you have the issues of people being well-established, being in guilds or having friend bases within the NA players. They may not be quick to give that up for the sake of maybe having better ping. Like I said before, EU reboot was nice for the euro-side players but was, as a whole, much too late to be as big a thing to EU players as NA reboot was to NA players.
    Fuhreak