[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Hacker clean-up

Spirit0fFunSpirit0fFun
Reactions: 730
edited September 2016 in Rants and Raves
What do we need to do to get GMs to camp out in maps and ban all the hackers? I have been reporting but the same chars are in the same maps daily. Haven has become nearly unplayable. Nearly every map on every channel-all blaze wizards.
MarkswomanSpin

Comments

• KerqxonKerqxon
    Reactions: 1,870
    edited September 2016
    Which World? I've no such issue when I play( I play in Glazed)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2016
    They do ban the bots, and honestly it gets tiresome to say.

Go look at the old forums, look at all of the hacking/botting ban lists. There are easily 10,000 names in each of the weekly lists.

So, once again, the problem will not be solved by having them camp out in maps, as you say. Because it's more than evident that they do ban bots.

The problem is that it's laughably easy to make a new account.

You can ban bots til you're blue in the face, but if all you require to make a new account is a valid email address that has not already been used to register an account, then you're never going to actually stem the flow. It's almost trivial to write a small script that A) creates a new throwaway email address(all you'd need it for is the confirmation email) and B) registers a new account with it when any previous accounts are banned.

They need to add some kind of extra registration requirement. Phone number or, like KMS does, some equivalent to a social security number(I don't know how this would be doable, given the international player base).

TL;DR: They do ban bots, you're simply ignorant if you believe otherwise, or believe that NX-spenders get preferential treatment. The problem is that it's incredibly easy to make new accounts and automate the process
    AlexTheDBgamechangerIts2Sharp4UDedicatedBMWillScarletHolyGiraffeJettLuvsUSherri
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited September 2016
    Yes totally, random elite bosses spawn because of these hackers training and then they ruin maple market :O!!! Hackers need to stop polluting our game!
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited September 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

Yes totally, random elite bosses spawn because of these hackers training and then they ruin maple market :O!!! Hackers need to stop polluting our game!
    Then it needs to stop being profitable for them.

Cough cough all you people who buy mesos from third-party sites(you know who you are).
  • AzzatoAzzato
    Reactions: 540
    edited September 2016
    Aggraphine

BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

Cough cough all you people who buy mesos from third-party sites(you know who you are).
    Please explain why there are so many bots and hackers on Reboot.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    Azzato
    Azzato said:

Aggraphine

BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

They sell the entire account, with all the meso on it.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited September 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Azzato
    Azzato said:

Aggraphine

BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

They sell the entire account, with all the meso on it.
    What he said^. People are selling reboot accounts with absurd amounts of mesos, or incredibly cubed gear.

Bottings plagued the game for years, like stated before its extremely easy just to make a new account after being banned.
  • ree98ree98
    Reactions: 300
    edited October 2016
    In nova, there are bots on every channel, on 3-4 maps at a time, it is so bad, i an never train anywhere, and the market is crashing, please ban them!! im reporting them, but that doesn't get everything done :(
  • AK712AK712
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

TL;DR: They do ban bots, you're simply ignorant if you believe otherwise, or believe that NX-spenders get preferential treatment. The problem is that it's incredibly easy to make new accounts and automate the process
    YES! Someone FINALLY gets it!

In reality, this plagues almost every single multiplayer online game (and many online social media sites). It's part of the reason Facebook now requires a phone number to create a new account. The problem here is that no one wants to play a game they have to register their phone for. It's because so many people are used to having multiple accounts that they are shocked when a game doesn't let them.

How many of you have more than one account? How would you respond if you couldn't use them anymore due to phone verification?

To be clear, no one should be playing with more than one account in the first place. All it does is create people who only do everything by themselves and therefore leave a community that isn't really a community, with users who don't work together at all.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    AK712
    AK712 said:

Aggraphine

YES! Someone FINALLY gets it!

In reality, this plagues almost every single multiplayer online game (and many online social media sites). It's part of the reason Facebook now requires a phone number to create a new account. The problem here is that no one wants to play a game they have to register their phone for. It's because so many people are used to having multiple accounts that they are shocked when a game doesn't let them.

How many of you have more than one account? How would you respond if you couldn't use them anymore due to phone verification?

To be clear, no one should be playing with more than one account in the first place. All it does is create people who only do everything by themselves and therefore leave a community that isn't really a community, with users who don't work together at all.
    There are plenty of much more popular games than MS that have an exponentially smaller bot problem than MS does. There will always be bots, but there are ways to stop them. Phone number requirement for account creation is one. Scripts that work when checking for botting behavior (which would require massive rewrites to this game to reduce server lag by over 95% in order to be feasible without falsely accusing legitimate players too often) helps out a lot too, which is something else MS doesn't have.

But honestly what would help a lot is to implement a legitimate Meso <-> NX/Maple points market in the game. That way if you want mesos and you have USD, you can buy NX, convert it to maple points and put it up for sale and get your mesos and vice versa. It would almost completely destroy the in game black market for meso buying and NX code selling, while also at the same time protecting players from scams involved with these operations (scams which they have no chance of getting help from Nexon over).
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    sometimes bots sell ign accounts for real money but is something done about it? nope its still like this u ban one , trillions will create another account. I'm getting tired seeing these bots every day it's like a cancer.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2016
    Lilyflower

sometimes bots sell ign accounts for real money but is something done about it? nope its still like this u ban one , trillions will create another account. I'm getting tired seeing these bots every day it's like a cancer.
    Trust me, it's not bots selling IGNs. I know for a fact that a very high-ranking individual(let's say, rank 4 of their class on their server?) has had dealings of the IGN-selling sort on a certain website that I'll refrain from mentioning.

It appears that the shorter a name is, the more profitable it is, with four-letter names being the most expensive and sought-after. Five is a close second. If it's an actual word, then it's even more desirable.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    edited October 2016
    I never understood that. All it shows is that you are unoriginal and have money to waste. The only people who care are other people in the exact same boat. I would much prefer a name I came up with myself than some random of 4 letters together
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    if u check some unofficial forums, people are going against ToS every single day. I dont participate in such behavior but it really damaging to see that the game is corrupted and the economy is bad.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

if u check some unofficial forums, people are going against ToS every single day. I dont participate in such behavior but it really damaging to see that the game is corrupted and the economy is bad.
    Part of that could likely be solved if Nexon started to crack down on it. Oh you're a level 250 Shade and you've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on the game but are also selling ingame items for real money and/or selling character names? Ban!

As of now, people seem to act as if they feel untouchable, either through their level, their rank or how much money they spend on the game. If Nexon were to systematically go through and show these people that they aren't untouchable, maybe things would start getting a bit better as far as this crap goes.
    BIackbean
  • gamechangergamechanger
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

Part of that could likely be solved if Nexon started to crack down on it. Oh you're a level 250 Shade and you've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on the game but are also selling ingame items for real money and/or selling character names? Ban!

As of now, people seem to act as if they feel untouchable, either through their level, their rank or how much money they spend on the game. If Nexon were to systematically go through and show these people that they aren't untouchable, maybe things would start getting a bit better as far as this crap goes.
    Nexon wouldn't though. Because they let it get this bad, they would end up banning way too many people for this to be effective.

They should have started taking action way back before the Bounty Hunter exploit nearly 3 years ago