[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Account Theft

Xenon92Xenon92
Reactions: 2,125
edited October 2016 in Rants and Raves
What exactly is account theft? I thought this meant if someone who you do not know logged onto your account, is account theft. For me, I am currently banned along with my girlfriend, my girlfriend has not logged onto ms for a few months till now, for me, I haven't logged on in about a month, and now both of us are permanently banned? Why is that? Nonetheless, I just want an official answer from Michael, is sharing accounts not allowed or something? (I share my account w/ my girlfriend and we do not live together, but we are 30 miles apart) Friends who go on friends accounts for say daily bossing, or times where there is a hot day and a friend isn't able to get it so another friend goes on his/her account to help them out. I really don't understand how account theft works. These days I know friends who share account information, ONLY among friends, and now that's a bannable offense? You know in the US, there are places called Internet cafe where people go and play games, even maplestory, and if Nexon's way of tracking and banning players with different IP is somewhat messed up. AND To permanently ban us? what the hell is that. I know somewhere in the ToS, it mentions about account sharing or something, but to say no account sharing among friends who know each other in real life is ridiculous..

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    Sharing account information, even among friends, is still sharing account information and against their terms of service.

And so you know, they fully allow multiple people per household, including internet cafes. Never mind that the latter is not as prominent in the US as I feel you're trying to convey.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

Sharing account information, even among friends, is still sharing account information and against their terms of service.

And so you know, they fully allow multiple people per household, including internet cafes. Never mind that the latter is not as prominent in the US as I feel you're trying to convey.
    here's my problem, ITS JUST ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND WHO LIVE WITHIN THE SAME STATE. If they allow multiple people within the household, how the hell is my account along with my gf's account banned for account theft. I've played this account for more than a year and recently changed things around my house, and if possibly my IP changed because I moved my modem around, I get banned for that? That's a joke. I'm not really trying to convey anything or whatever, I just want some answers to why we're banned, hopefully this is some dumb mistake.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    There are plenty of people who regularly use two or more IP addresses. People who play both at school and at home, or both at their mother's and at their father's, for example. The difference is the speed of changing: if you log out of your account and your gf immediately logs into it, it's impossible that you traveled that far that fast. Although banning for this would mean Nexon is checking for geographical location based on IP (as reported by ISP's, which are not always accurate) and running these checks even for accounts that nobody reported stolen. Somehow I don't see them being that proactive, tbh.

"Account Theft" supposedly means logging onto someone else's account without their consent (i.e., they complained about it to Nexon), but recently I've heard of more and more cases where people got banned for it due to acquiring items from a hacked account. For example, if someone got hacked, and the hacker went around giving away their items, and you got some of those items, you could get banned because Nexon suspects you of being an accomplice of the hacker.

Have you tried submitting a ticket or talking to Customer Support to ask them why you were banned?
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

There are plenty of people who regularly use two or more IP addresses. People who play both at school and at home, or both at their mother's and at their father's, for example. The difference is the speed of changing: if you log out of your account and your gf immediately logs into it, it's impossible that you traveled that far that fast. Although banning for this would mean Nexon is checking for geographical location based on IP (as reported by ISP's, which are not always accurate) and running these checks even for accounts that nobody reported stolen. Somehow I don't see them being that proactive, tbh.

"Account Theft" supposedly means logging onto someone else's account without their consent (i.e., they complained about it to Nexon), but recently I've heard of more and more cases where people got banned for it due to acquiring items from a hacked account. For example, if someone got hacked, and the hacker went around giving away their items, and you got some of those items, you could get banned because Nexon suspects you of being an accomplice of the hacker.

Have you tried submitting a ticket or talking to Customer Support to ask them why you were banned?
    thank you for a much nicer reply :|
    My girlfriend and I only play at my house, and again I haven't logged onto my account for about a month, for my girlfriend, its about longer than a month.

I seriously cannot see how I was banned, and I went through my Email and tried to see if i got any warnings, and nothing was sent.
    The account is mine, and her account is hers, we've played in the same location area (so I assume it's the same IP) for at least 2 years since i moved.
    I don't see how Nexon can just accuse me of account theft, we never even sent in a ticket for this, but atm I have sent one for our accounts

hopefully someone replies >_>

man I'm missing out on my hot day gifts -_-

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Xenon92
    Xenon92 said:

My girlfriend and I only play at my house, and again I haven't logged onto my account for about a month, for my girlfriend, its about longer than a month.

I seriously cannot see how I was banned, and I went through my Email and tried to see if i got any warnings, and nothing was sent.
    The account is mine, and her account is hers, we've played in the same location area (so I assume it's the same IP) for at least 2 years since i moved.
    I don't see how Nexon can just accuse me of account theft, we never even sent in a ticket for this, but atm I have sent one for our accounts

If you both only play at your house, then Nexon has no way of knowing you're two different people. As far as they're concerned, it's one person with two accounts (which is perfectly legitimate). So account sharing is not the reason for your ban.

Which leaves the possibility that you somehow came in contact with a stolen item. You might have gotten banned for that a month ago, and only now realized it because you tried to log in. Did you receive any gifts from strangers? Buy anything in FM? Pick up nice items that someone inexplicably dropped? Help someone transfer items between their accounts?

Hopefully Customer Support will be able to help you.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Xenon92
    Xenon92 said:

If you both only play at your house, then Nexon has no way of knowing you're two different people. As far as they're concerned, it's one person with two accounts (which is perfectly legitimate). So account sharing is not the reason for your ban.

Which leaves the possibility that you somehow came in contact with a stolen item. You might have gotten banned for that a month ago, and only now realized it because you tried to log in. Did you receive any gifts from strangers? Buy anything in FM? Pick up nice items that someone inexplicably dropped? Help someone transfer items between their accounts?

Hopefully Customer Support will be able to help you.
    actually no cause I just came back to the account this week, I've been doing fine. Collecting Reward points from star planet and such.

all the gears within my account have been sitting there for a long time now, and I havent traded with anyone since I came back.
    So no way of me having stolen gears, I haven't traded with anyone since coming back.

both me and my lady have been playing for 3-4 straight days and got banned on day 5 which is friday. (11pm est)
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    edited October 2016
    Lol there must seriously be something wrong with Nexon's banning system... First their reasoning of banning me is Account theft, and now the GM is telling me "Item duping/item generation hacks, Meso/leveling exploits, fraud/chargeback, etc. and therefore was banned"

what is this, I haven't even been on for a month, let alone that I only carry 32 million mesos, and chargeback fraud? I don't even buy NX with paypal or debit/credit card.. I buy my nx with PCGamers. Last but not least, I earned all my gears and all my gears have been sitting in my account for more than 5 months and they are claiming those are duped? I made all my gears myself. Nexon really likes to give me BS reasons why they keep banning me, I been banned 3 times with some weird ass reason, first account was banned cuz they say I been doing illegal trades, 2nd account was only 7 days old and ban me for "Someone on a famous illegal site has been asked to contact this person using one of the in game names on your account" like really how is that even a legitimate reason to ban someone, have they never thought of impersonation? Now my 3rd time, this 3rd account has been doing great for a year, i quit on and off, and now suddenly I am being accused of all of this? What the flying f*k, this is a joke, there must be some way to take legal action against this lmao, this is just ridiculous.

For the first and second account of mine, I know for a fact that I was reported, and if its the same stupid reason for a 3rd time, when I havent been going on for a month and only for 3 days, Nexon legit has no common sense whatsoever.