[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

A Reboot Players Perspective of Kishin Changes

MooreThanMoostMooreThanMoost
Reactions: 210
I am a long time maplestory fan. I started playing a couple months after it first released. So many systems have been added into maplestory that feel like an investment. It started with Empresses blessing, then like skills came, evanetually character cards came and morphed into the legion system we have now. I loved that part of maple as an mmo, it gave me a reason to continue playing and and investing into my characters progress.

One of the most effective investments reboot players can make, is to make another account with a kanna on it. As long as you had a spare pc or a virtual machine, you could participate in the 2 pc meta. But not only do you have to have another account logged on with a kanna, you also had to train your kanna up to 210, 220, and so on to follow you to better and better maps. This is an investment many of us dedicated players have made. For the moment I am going to ignore the spawn rate nerf of kishin and just focus on the cool down.

For those of us that used an afk kana to train we now have a drastically reduced effectiveness in grinding half the time. For kanna mains, if you one shot mobs(which is a natural goal to reach for when farming), you will barely ever proc the extended 5 seconds. Both types of dedicated players are going to feel a huge impact on their grinding rates. What is the reasoning behind this change? To diminish the dependency on kishin.

Instead of solely changing kishin to decrease people's maximum potential for grinding, you can increase the minimum rate of grinding. If you increase a maps base spawn rate and nerf the effectiveness of kishin, you can diminish dependency on kishin without directly nerfing dedicated players grinding rates. I'm no game designer but i do know a thing or two about numbers. Currently kishin both increases the spawn rate of the map by 50% and increases the maximum number of mobs by 50%. Lets go ahead and "nerf" lets say its a 25% increase in spawn rate and 25% increase in number of mobs. If we also increase the base spawn rate and number of mobs by 20% then we end up with the same maximum potential but a closer minimum.

The math:
Let's call the current base spawn rate 100%

Now with kishin 100%*50% = 150%

Post rise 100%*40% = 140% (up only half the time)

Proposed changes 120%*25%= 150%

There are more elegant solutions that don't devalue a players investment. Kishin has been left in the game for so long it has shaped the game around it. Nexons nerf to kishin makes it seem like they are out of touch with their fan base.
Lehp

Comments

• EikaheEikahe
    Reactions: 1,355
    edited June 2020
    I believe they should simply turn Kishin and its effect into a V Node so people don't need to rely on Kishin mules at all. To balance things out, they can make the Wild Totems from the Reward Point shop unlimited and make them cheaper so that people below 200 can use them to train, and work their way to a permanent one post 200. It would completely remove the requirement of having a Kishin mule entirely without damaging the 1-200 leveling scene. The idea should be to make it more accessible, NOT more limiting. Making spawn increasing effects more accessible is the best possible option to completely remove reliance on more than one computer at a time. Nerfing it fixes nothing at all and upsets everyone.
  • OzziusOzzius
    Reactions: 400
    edited June 2020
    Agreed. Ultimately removing the need for a mule account would be the best option to move forward. Increase base spawn rate, remove kishin effect. Allows people to actually farm in their main and reduces server strain from the extra accounts
  • BellJDBellJD
    Reactions: 780
    edited June 2020
    It's fun that the introduction of Kishin made an impact to todays community for faster level up. If it didnt exist there wouldnt even be a discussion at all.
    Honestly its the gamers developers fault for creating such whimpsy skill to begin with. Oh well.
  • EikaheEikahe
    Reactions: 1,355
    edited June 2020
    BellJD wrote: »
    It's fun that the introduction of Kishin made an impact to todays community for faster level up. If it didnt exist there wouldnt even be a discussion at all.
    Honestly its the gamers developers fault for creating such whimpsy skill to begin with. Oh well.

Except there would be. The reliance on Bishop would be mandatory and the nerf to them without giving alternative forms of EXP gain would've completely destroyed the community. Back when Kishin was overpowered, I was still only gaining 0.7% XP an hour with 100% spawn rate/mob increase spammable Kishin and it was nerfed. GMS has never gotten any proper spawn increase updates unlike KMS yet we're punished for using the only thing we have to make things tolerable. They've increased the amount of meso we need to progress through Star Forcing, literally doubling the amount compared to KMS without ever changing out spawn rates or adjusting the game to better suit the much more fast-paced, map-clearing capabilities of classes that are released and changed to be more modern and current.

This really doesn't need to be an issue - they just need to leave the spawn rate alone and make the skill more accessible. Just like that, 2PC meta is dead because people would be able to just give the map Kishin on any class, and things would immediately improve.