[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Looking To The Future: Maplestory x VR?

AznboiEAznboiE
Reactions: 3,445
edited October 2016 in General Chat
Do you think it could happen?

The simplest way I think this can be possible is if there's a maplestory VR app that links to your account and basically streams what shows up on your monitor onto your VR headset, namely Oculus, Vive, or Samsung VR (also uses Oculus), not sure about Playstation VR. What actually shows up could be "panoramic," basically a wide screen version of what is normally seen. Of course it only works when you're logged in to your maplestory account.

You'd still have to sit at your workspace to use the keyboard and mouse to play, however.

What are your, the community,'s thoughts?
  1. Would you like to play Maplestory in "VR" mode?24 votes
    1. Yeah! Cool beans dude.
       17% (4 votes)
    2. Not interested because this probably won't effect me.
       8% (2 votes)
    3. No. Too complicated or not worth the time.
       67% (16 votes)
    4. Eh. (Undecided)
       8% (2 votes)

Comments

• gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Maplestory is a 2D game, its not at all suited for VR. Seriously the best you could get with it is an uninterrupted screen that takes up your entire vision, which is not VR and frankly I don't see the point in that.

MS2 could eventually go VR depending on how well it does, but MS will never be a VR game
    AKradianhypnogris
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    I agree with gamechanger, Maplestory just doesn't seem suited at all for VR in any way and more or less would be a waste of resources to have the 2d maplestory game VR-ifyed. I can't even imagine what that would look like other than a stretched screen.

2d Maplestory would work for, lets say 3D (like on 3DS or something) but not VR
  • iMad24iMad24
    Reactions: 1,210
    edited October 2016
    VR?
    this game has got to be the worst coded game out there, it doesn't even support 1080p yet.
    I don't believe this game will survive long enough to be made in vr
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    Maplestory in vr nope its impossible it's so hard to do it :/.
  • InfamousNaviInfamousNavi
    Reactions: 410
    edited October 2016
    Maplestory already isn't fairly optimized for pc and you want vr? You must be joking. Imagine all the d/ced for hack reasons.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited October 2016
    serious question.

why? What do we have to gain from going vr? More immersion in a 2d pixel game?
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    What future? the only way it will have one is under a new company.
    InfamousNaviLilyflower
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    VR and MapleStory would not mix well. You can play MapleStory with a joystick/controller though.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    nah i like it 2D that way i can see everyone with my ultra wide screen #advantages
  • ThatOneFurryThatOneFurry
    Reactions: 300
    edited October 2016
    What you describe in the opening posts and somewhat in replies, can all be done with Nexon adding a Add-On system for HUD Overlays. No VR is needed, and no, a 2D side scrolling game with no 3D elements to it, will benefit from VR. The only thing we'd be able to accomplish from using VR with MapleStory is using our heads to move the mouse. Which if you ask me, is kinda a step backwards in design.

There is no active camera in this game's software.