[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Legends Return

ArlongArlong
Reactions: 4,645
edited July 2017 in General Chat
Just want to say that I love legends return. I don't want it to be permanent because if it's permanent people will eventually stop doing it but please bring it back from time to time. Not sure what magpie coins are though but I think that's just a translation error and it should be override coins. Also what's your favorite character? I love playing as mu gong.
  1. Who do you play as?14 votes
    1. Manji
       21% (3 votes)
    2. Mike
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Dark Lord
       21% (3 votes)
    4. Grendle
       21% (3 votes)
    5. Mu Gong
       21% (3 votes)
    6. Athena
       7% (1 vote)
    7. Moonbeam
       7% (1 vote)

Comments

• Traveler5577Traveler5577
    Reactions: 1,995
    edited July 2017
    i havent played any of them ._. i been to busy on my new zero not this current event creation. the one from a year ago xD he/she is lvl 186.
    Lilyflower
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Reactions: 775
    edited July 2017
    Nah, it was called Magpie coin (까치 코인) in the Korean version too.
    Magpie is a species of bird that's considered good luck. Since the Beyond Update happened around the Korean New Years, and since the Magpie has significance in Korean culture, that's probably why it's called Magpie Coin.

From KBS, one of Korea's big television/radio channel:
    Legend says that King Soji of the ancient Korean kingdom of Silla from the fifth century was in danger of being murdered due to an evil plot by his queen and a Buddhist monk. Thanks to the help of some animals, such as a magpie, a mouse, a pig and a dragon, the king was able to escape the danger. Among them, the mouse, the pig and the dragon have their own days to celebrate, as they are included in the 12 zodiac animals. But the magpie is not so there is no day dedicated to the bird. It is said that Lunar New Year’s Eve is the magpie’s New Year.

In another interpretation of the term, “Magpie’s Seollal,” Korean ancestors have traditionally believed that magpies would bring good news. If a magpie sings in the morning it was regarded as a sign that a welcome guest would come to visit. From a scientific perspective, though, magpies tend to chirp loud when they sense unusual smells because they are afraid. So, their noise on New Years’ Eve, when family members and relatives would gather together to celebrate Seollal the following day, may indicate that the birds are wary of strangers. It is said that New Year’s Eve has been called Magpie’s Seollal, due to their loud chirping on the last day of the year.

In a theory based on linguistics Magpie’s Seollal has nothing to do with the bird. In ancient Korea, New Year’s Eve was called “small Seollal,” compared to “big Seollal,” which is New Year’s Day. On small Seollal, people used to make a deep bow to their relatives and seniors in the neighborhood in advance. The ancient Korean word for “small” was “achi.” As time went by, the word “achi” changed to “kkachi,” which means a magpie. So, it is assumed that “small Seollal” has mistakenly been called “Magpie’s Seollal.”

Whatever the origin is, the song “Magpie’s Seollal” beautifully describes a happy scene of a family greeting the New Year. The song goes, “Magpie, yesterday was your New Year’s Day. But today is our New Year’s Day. I put in my lovely pigtail ribbons and wear a new pair of shoes.”
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I think I used to play Grendel. I remember he did really good burst damage. Was able to surprise-ko a lot of enemies like that. This was when the game first came out though lol, so maybe that kinda strategy won't work anymore.
  • ArlongArlong
    edited July 2017
    Oh man. My zero is still not even 140 yet and I created it the day it was first released. I'll get to it. Someday.
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited July 2017
    I agree completely
    I also play Mu Gong
  • ArlongArlong
    edited July 2017
    Mu gong is so good eh? I whoop ass with it