[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Bring Back Old PvP mode

TwofishTwofish
Reactions: 745
edited January 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
About 7 years ago MapleStory had a PvP mode. To some players this might be unfamiliar, just Google "maplestory chaos pvp" you will see some videos about it. IIRC the PvP mode is well balanced, even with excellent equips you can't play well if facing a PvP master. To improve damage the only way is picking up the fist potion on the ground. Also, PvP used to give a lot of EXP, making it a good way to level up in end game.

So, my suggestion is, bring back the PvP mode. Old PvP is something Not only casual player can join in, but also makes the game more community. It can make end game not so grinding, too. 7 years ago PQs were already dead, but PvP let "Make PQs Great Again" come true.

Comments

• TwofishTwofish
    edited January 2019
    One problem PQs have is people always thinking "If I got enough damage then I can solo it". Now many people have enough damage so they want PQs can solo. But personally I don't see it a good idea, it would make more people consider MapleStory as a solo game. Also, If PQs can be soloed then they are not "Party Quests".
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    The pvp system from way back then was broken and lopsided as hell in favor of mages. It can stay gone.
    SlicedTimePirateIzzy
  • TwofishTwofish
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    The pvp system from way back then was broken and lopsided as hell in favor of mages. It can stay gone.

1.I don't know why "broken and lopsided as hell in favor of mages", where broken? why lopsided to mages? Skills with cd all have high damage, damage formula can be adjusted any time.
    2. If broken, then can be fixed.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited January 2019
    Cool down being reset upon death was too overpowered.
    The damage formula was only balanced because it was extremely hard to get stronger by upgrading your equipment (Very few people had their gears 10% scrolled, and the difference between 60% gears was only 10-20% stronger) (When Empress gear because extremely accessible, people with no pvp experience but had those gear did 50% more damage than people with dedicated pvp gears).

It would require far too much work and time to remake and balance every skills for pvp and not have the game crash at this point in time (even if you don't include 5th job) since there are too many classes.
    SlicedTimePirateIzzy
  • TwofishTwofish
    edited January 2019
    Rexaar wrote: »
    Cool down being reset upon death was too overpowered.
    The damage formula was only balanced because it was extremely hard to get stronger by upgrading your equipment (Very few people had their gears 10% scrolled, and the difference between 60% gears was only 10-20% stronger) (When Empress gear because extremely accessible, people with no pvp experience but had those gear did 50% more damage than people with dedicated pvp gears).

It would require far too much work and time to remake and balance every skills for pvp and not have the game crash at this point in time (even if you don't include 5th job) since there are too many classes.

"Cool down being reset upon death was too overpowered." For some jobs indeed. This mode avoids waiting time, they should develop other modes too. The game doesn't suit one to one battle, or long range job would be overwhelming.

5th job skills can be banned like Ursus.

The auto dropped potion gave large damage increase, almost tripled (for my DK and BM, cool or nice -> great per line), some skills can even two shot squishy jobs. 7 years ago when Attacking bosses, p2w player may hit 10m+ and run Cygnus, while most player hardly hit 500k. And even compared to today's reboot server, "50% more damage" still seems very accessible. I don't know exact data but I guess equip factors are nerfed in PvP maps.

Also, the code is just stored so I don't think it is too much work, Compared to new content, new bosses, and new fancy jobs.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    A belief I've always held is that you should never shoehorn pvp into a predominately pve-oriented game, it's never going to translate well.

I have never seen a game that began as a pve-based experience introduce pvp in a way that wasn't a complete and total mess.
  • TwofishTwofish
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    A belief I've always held is that you should never shoehorn pvp into a predominately pve-oriented game, it's never going to translate well.

I have never seen a game that began as a pve-based experience introduce pvp in a way that wasn't a complete and total mess.

MapleStory's pvp is unique. No "one vs one", revive in 5s after death, no taunt after death, environment drop useful potions periodically. All these make pvp not too harsh, a little like mobbing. I've never seen a game's pvp like this.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Rather than bring the PVP mode back, I'd rather just see more frequent returns of "The Legends Return" which isn't class dependent.
    It's easier to balance and you can just pick any character you want without having to level one up first.
    It's always a blast to play.