[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

Which class to choose? Sun Man or Dark Boys?

JostabeereJostabeere
Reactions: 550
Posts: 39
Member
edited October 11 in General Chat
So, I am currently maining a Dawn Warrior and I'm at 156. He is okay, but I looked at quite a few videos ranking him kinda low. I also notice while I have a lot of HP and I can down most of the bosses, even the arsy ones like Magnus, I feel I lack damage.
So I also started playing a Demon Slayer cause they are edgy and seem to be strong according to Youtube.
Should I take my Demon Slayer as my new main and fund and grind him, or keep my Dawn Warrior?
Thing is, 150ish isn't that much or a grind with Mushroom Shrine, Monster Park and Monad. And if my DS will be much stronger than my DW, I would take it. But I don't know if it will be much stronger in that level range already.
So yeah? Sunny boy or Edgelord?

Comments

  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,610
    Posts: 1,568
    Member
    edited October 11
    as a Demon slayer main, I am far too biased and say Demon Slayer.
  • JostabeereJostabeere
    Reactions: 550
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 11
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    as a Demon slayer main, I am far too biased and say Demon Slayer.

    So. Would you say it is easy to do bosses with a DS BEFORE getting the 5th job?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 4,760
    Posts: 958
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 11
    Go with what your gut tells you. Play the one you had more fun with overall as 5th job mostly just compliments the 4th job playstyle.
    There are a few classes who do change drastically in 5th, but most of them are basically the same with a few new skills.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,610
    Posts: 1,568
    Member
    edited October 11
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    as a Demon slayer main, I am far too biased and say Demon Slayer.

    So. Would you say it is easy to do bosses with a DS BEFORE getting the 5th job?

    Yeah, considering your 5th job will only make up 50% uptime of bossing, although once you get it...its pretty amazing. Ultimately though, most people don't start doing hard bosses till post 200 (EX: CRA soloing and even NCyg/HHilla) so you'd get 5th job before your range hit that point.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 2,875
    Posts: 289
    Member
    edited October 11
    Pick something that you'll enjoy playing. Having high damage and bossing ease will not feel well if you do not enjoy the class. If you haven't made any Legion/Link Skill mules then do it as a way to test out each class's gameplay. Grind Demon Slayer till around 140 and think if you really want to keep using it or not. Once you go past 200 the amount of effort and dedication the game asks of you means there is very little room for changing your mind. I'm a Beast Tamer main who despite the class' lack of polish and low effectiveness still enjoy playing it over many other much powerful classes because its fun for me, just like there are Jett mains, Bishop mains or Illium mains out there who enjoy their classes because they find it fun.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 1,970
    Posts: 339
    Member
    edited October 14
    Ok so ima tell u what to do,follow mindlessly what i say ok? Why? Because thats what ure asking for: play demon slayer because yes, end of thread.
    Fuhreak
  • JostabeereJostabeere
    Reactions: 550
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 24
    darik wrote: »
    Ok so ima tell u what to do,follow mindlessly what i say ok? Why? Because thats what ure asking for: play demon slayer because yes, end of thread.

    Or you stop maing these useless replies?
    There are what? 20? 30 classes in this game and most of them unveil their full potential at high levels. How am I or anyone else supposed to know which class is good or fits them? Levelling all of them to 200 and waiting months before deciding which one to play?
    If you have nothing to add from a fact or your own experience, stay out of threads where people ask for a suggestion.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 4,760
    Posts: 958
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 24
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    There are what? 20? 30 classes in this game and most of them unveil their full potential at high levels. How am I or anyone else supposed to know which class is good or fits them? Levelling all of them to 200 and waiting months before deciding which one to play?
    If you have nothing to add from a fact or your own experience, stay out of threads where people ask for a suggestion.

    You shouldn't play a character because "they're strong" you should play them because you like their play style.
    You're in for a world of hurt come a future balance patch if this is all you care about.

    There are over 40 classes. Just level them to 100~140. It doesn't take that long and 5th job mostly just enhances the way 4th job plays.
    If you don't like a class by 3rd job, you most likely won't like it. If you still don't like it in 4th job, it probably isn't the class for you.
    There's no real need to go all the way to 200 to see if the three new skills makes or breaks the character for you.
    As for his response, ultimately you should just pick one and jump in game. So while rude, he's right that you should just go ahead and try DS out.
    You most likely need/want to get them up anyway for legion so just go ahead and start.


  • JostabeereJostabeere
    Reactions: 550
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 24
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    There are what? 20? 30 classes in this game and most of them unveil their full potential at high levels. How am I or anyone else supposed to know which class is good or fits them? Levelling all of them to 200 and waiting months before deciding which one to play?
    If you have nothing to add from a fact or your own experience, stay out of threads where people ask for a suggestion.

    You shouldn't play a character because "they're strong" you should play them because you like their play style.
    You're in for a world of hurt come a future balance patch if this is all you care about.

    There are over 40 classes. Just level them to 100~140. It doesn't take that long and 5th job mostly just enhances the way 4th job plays.
    If you don't like a class by 3rd job, you most likely won't like it. If you still don't like it in 4th job, it probably isn't the class for you.
    There's no real need to go all the way to 200 to see if the three new skills makes or breaks the character for you.
    As for his response, ultimately you should just pick one and jump in game. So while rude, he's right that you should just go ahead and try DS out.
    You most likely need/want to get them up anyway for legion so just go ahead and start.


    Well I read quite a few times a lot of classes play like: "buff, spam 1 skill" or "buff, have a 1-4 skills rotation". This is not "different varying playstyles" when it comes to RPGs. To me a warrior which presses 1 button and has an auto sword slice with a range of 3 meters and a mage who has a flamethrower of 3 meters range is not different playstyles.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 4,760
    Posts: 958
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 24
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Well I read quite a few times a lot of classes play like: "buff, spam 1 skill" or "buff, have a 1-4 skills rotation". This is not "different varying playstyles" when it comes to RPGs. To me a warrior which presses 1 button and has an auto sword slice with a range of 3 meters and a mage who has a flamethrower of 3 meters range is not different playstyles.

    This is true for mobbing, not so much for bossing. Not knowing how to play your character properly in a boss just results in you being dead weight.
  • JostabeereJostabeere
    Reactions: 550
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 24
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Well I read quite a few times a lot of classes play like: "buff, spam 1 skill" or "buff, have a 1-4 skills rotation". This is not "different varying playstyles" when it comes to RPGs. To me a warrior which presses 1 button and has an auto sword slice with a range of 3 meters and a mage who has a flamethrower of 3 meters range is not different playstyles.

    This is true for mobbing, not so much for bossing. Not knowing how to play your character properly in a boss just results in you being dead weight.

    Well. Isn't it like... All classes have their 4th and 5th jobs skills being superior to anything prior to this? So every class relies on like... I dunno... 4-5 active skills?
    I'm genuinely curious if there's a class which has sick chain combos you need to press in right order or right time for a better DPS output? Like, actually skill and not spamming 1-2 skills and potions?
    I mean, I guess "skill" in bossing is knowing what they do and avoiding their skills, but like, actual skill in character skills?
    I don't class "Oh this is a warrior he needs strength" or "this skill is 4th job and does 400% dmg but this only 350% dmg so I use the stronger one" as "player skill".
  • Arch_AlyssaArch_Alyssa
    Reactions: 1,120
    Posts: 73
    Member
    edited October 24
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Well I read quite a few times a lot of classes play like: "buff, spam 1 skill" or "buff, have a 1-4 skills rotation". This is not "different varying playstyles" when it comes to RPGs. To me a warrior which presses 1 button and has an auto sword slice with a range of 3 meters and a mage who has a flamethrower of 3 meters range is not different playstyles.

    This is true for mobbing, not so much for bossing. Not knowing how to play your character properly in a boss just results in you being dead weight.

    Well. Isn't it like... All classes have their 4th and 5th jobs skills being superior to anything prior to this? So every class relies on like... I dunno... 4-5 active skills?
    I'm genuinely curious if there's a class which has sick chain combos you need to press in right order or right time for a better DPS output? Like, actually skill and not spamming 1-2 skills and potions?

    Ark and cadena are pretty much like that. Blaster too but hard to execute properly.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 2,875
    Posts: 289
    Member
    edited October 24
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Well. Isn't it like... All classes have their 4th and 5th jobs skills being superior to anything prior to this? So every class relies on like... I dunno... 4-5 active skills?
    I'm genuinely curious if there's a class which has sick chain combos you need to press in right order or right time for a better DPS output? Like, actually skill and not spamming 1-2 skills and potions?
    I mean, I guess "skill" in bossing is knowing what they do and avoiding their skills, but like, actual skill in character skills?
    I don't class "Oh this is a warrior he needs strength" or "this skill is 4th job and does 400% dmg but this only 350% dmg so I use the stronger one" as "player skill".

    That's MapleStory. Every class except for some very specific exceptions uses 1 or 2 skills max, the difference is what resource they need and how they gather that resource. Hero and Paladin are both warriors, both use like 1 or 2 skills but they need to gather different resources to do their stuff, which is where the gameplay differences are. Player skill comes from being able to gather and use those resources in the right moment, for example Kanna burns her Mana really fast if all you do is spam skills, which she has a ton, so player skill comes in knowing which skill to use and when. Some don't use resources but need timing, or have stances. There are more to classes than just skills alone.

    Other examples of resources to manage
    Hero's combo orbs
    Paladin's Elemental Charge
    Hayato's stances
    Xenon's charges
    Avenger's Exceed
    Slayer's Fury
    Angelic Buster's Soul Battery
    Corsair's summons
    Buccaneer's Ki
    Wild Hunter's Mounted and Unmounted states

    Mihile's Ping

    Going back to your original post Dawn Warrior is of the few classes where player skill is important, and where you use more than 1 or 2 skills during bosses. Managing sun/moon states and when to use what skill thinking on your current state is far more than just mindless spam.
    Fuhreak
  • JostabeereJostabeere
    Reactions: 550
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 24
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    That's MapleStory. Every class except for some very specific exceptions uses 1 or 2 skills max, the difference is what resource they need and how they gather that resource. Hero and Paladin are both warriors, both use like 1 or 2 skills but they need to gather different resources to do their stuff, which is where the gameplay differences are. Player skill comes from being able to gather and use those resources in the right moment, for example Kanna burns her Mana really fast if all you do is spam skills, which she has a ton, so player skill comes in knowing which skill to use and when. Some don't use resources but need timing, or have stances. There are more to classes than just skills alone.
    Well, yeah. That was my argument. If a lot of classes do the same but just happen to have different "mana", how is a newcomer supposed to know what he likes? If they're more or less the same. I mean. Do I want the class with [random mana name] which does moderate damage by spamming 2 skills, or do I want a different class with [random mana name] and high damage by spamming 2 skills.
    I fully understood that the game is about spamming a few skills. It's more or less a game for young people and doesn't wanna be tooo complicated like other MMORPGs where classes have rotations of 10-20 skills and if not executed properly, cripple the DPS.
    Hence why the question about damage comes up.
    Anyway. Care to tell me which classes are not one-trick-ponies? I've seen Mercedes having interesting combos and also doing huge lines of damage with said combos. Which are the other?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 15,290
    Posts: 2,870
    Member
    edited October 24
    As was said up-thread, ark and cadena are big on making use of all the skills gained between 1st and 4th job.
    Ark and cadena are pretty much like that. Blaster too but hard to execute properly.

  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 1,605
    Posts: 117
    Member
    edited October 27
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    as a Demon slayer main, I am far too biased and say Demon Slayer.

    So. Would you say it is easy to do bosses with a DS BEFORE getting the 5th job?

    Damage doesn't matter in pre-200 region. Small bosses you can do before 5th job (n zakum, n root abyss, ez magnus, n Hila & n Horntail) are all very easily beatable with most classes. Real bossing starts at 5th job, where u can use new 5th job skill and enhance main skills. So don't choose class based on how good it is before 200. That being said, you should just play DS. DW is pretty much unplayable because of constant lag spikes in potato servers that cause its main bossing skills to inconsistently activate.

    Fuhreak
  • WrongAgainBoiWrongAgainBoi
    Reactions: 100
    Post: 1
    Member
    Jostabeere wrote: »
    So, I am currently maining a Dawn Warrior and I'm at 156. He is okay, but I looked at quite a few videos ranking him kinda low. I also notice while I have a lot of HP and I can down most of the bosses, even the arsy ones like Magnus, I feel I lack damage.
    So I also started playing a Demon Slayer cause they are edgy and seem to be strong according to Youtube.
    Should I take my Demon Slayer as my new main and fund and grind him, or keep my Dawn Warrior?
    Thing is, 150ish isn't that much or a grind with Mushroom Shrine, Monster Park and Monad. And if my DS will be much stronger than my DW, I would take it. But I don't know if it will be much stronger in that level range already.
    So yeah? Sunny boy or Edgelord?

    Equinox's ping/lag delay will give you cancer. Forget about level, funding, what you want to play, and etc. Playing anything but DW or any other jobs whose main skills are crippled by potato servers. This is coming from former DW main who could barely beat CRA despite having good enough stats because of ping/lag delay issue. The worst part is that I couldn't even switch to channel with better ping since CRA is only available in ch 14, 15 and 16 because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯