[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Shorten patch schedule by 1 week to catchup to KMS

gamechangergamechanger
Reactions: 3,460
edited October 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
There are a lot of players, myself included, that wished our update schedule was closer to that of KMS (instead of being 6 months behind). There are a few advantages to being behind KMS in terms of updates, chiefly (and really the only one I can think of) is that it allows GMS to bundle several months worth of KMS updates into 1 or 2 updates for GMS, which gives NexonNA enough time to incorporate content from other regions. Don't get me wrong, I love that. But I still think it would be better if we could get closer to KMS's update schedule.

I propose that we shorten our update schedule by 1 week - 2 weeks each cycle depending on the size of the update until we are closer to KMS' update schedule. In about 6 months worth of updates (which should be just after the V update finishes if I counted correctly), we would be 2-3 months closer to KMS's update schedule than we currently are. Which would mean that we would get updates 3-4 months after KMS gets them instead of 5-7 months like it currently is. To me, the best would be to only be 1-2 months behind KMS, but I think 3-4 months is more realistic since it allows plenty of time to work on localization (ie translating and trying to make all the new content work with Jett, Kanna, BT, and Hayato). Hopefully in about a year though we could get to the point of only being 1-2 months behind KMS.

Such a change would come with several advantages

* Small updates would feel like less of a content drought Its true, sometimes we do get pretty small patches in GMS, and when that is the only new content we get for a month it gets old really fast. This would alleviate that by reducing the amount of time before we got more new content.

* We would get optimization patches much quicker I don't think there is a single player who would think this was a bad thing. Optimization is always good for a game, and the faster we get them the better in my opinion

* We would get requested features more quickly Some requested features did indeed make it into GMS first and then later KMS (damage skin storage comes to mind), yet far far more requested features make it into KMS first and then we have to wait 6-7 months to get it in GMS, which is torture. Being much closer to KMS's update schedule ensures that these requested features get incorporated into GMS much more quickly, which would increase the overall health of the game imo

There are more advantages to such a proposal that I won't list here to prevent this post from becoming too long. But I hope that you take this seriously and act on it NexonNA. I know that you probably can't affect your next two patches that are lined up, but from there I really hope you consider shortening the patch schedule in order to catchup to KMS.
Its2Sharp4UDaxterbeerIvangoldPhantomMasterThief

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Considering the staggering amount of bugs we get with every patch, I think that if they tried to push them out any faster, the result wouldn't even boot up.

But more importantly: both KMS and GMS get major patches timed to the peak playing seasons of summer vacation and Christmas.
    If we shorten the gap to 2-3 months, we'll be getting their "big update" just as our players are going back to school. That's not going to make either Nexon or the players happy.
    JettLuvsU
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2016
    I kind agree on that, playing league defenely make things freshier in uptates, you see the first main server get something in the test server and all versiors get with it or almost imediately, the diference is that they generaly make smaller uptates more frequent compared to Maple Story which have major every 6months, so it wouldn't be a imediately catch up(to other regions).
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Considering the staggering amount of bugs we get with every patch, I think that if they tried to push them out any faster, the result wouldn't even boot up.

But more importantly: both KMS and GMS get major patches timed to the peak playing seasons of summer vacation and Christmas.
    If we shorten the gap to 2-3 months, we'll be getting their "big update" just as our players are going back to school. That's not going to make either Nexon or the players happy.
    Do you really think that it takes them a month to fix the few amount of bugs that they fix? No. They don't put any resources into bug fixes in the first place, so I honestly can't see this hurting that. You can't slow down bug fixes when you already have no resources devoted to it.

As for the timing. I don't see that as a problem. People are going to play Maplestory whether school is in session or not. And perhaps even having the bigger updates near the start of the school year may retain more players more than having weak, empty patches does.