[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Is Reboot the most profitable world for Nexon?

SealSeal
Reactions: 1,310
edited April 2017 in General Chat
Curious whether you all think Reboot generates the most profit for Nexon compared to all the other worlds. Or if you believe the introduction of Reboot has increased Maplestory revenue overall? I've added a simple yes/no poll, but I'm interested in knowing your reasoning behind your answer as well.

For example, I think the introduction of Reboot has benefitted and increased revenue for Maplestory in general, but am uncertain if it is the most profitable world. This is due to my own experience of having already quit Maple, but rejoining solely due to Reboot. I also don't believe Reboot has stolen (or at least many) players who were already HEAVILY invested in their gear or characters, friends/guild, etc from other worlds.

Although it appears to be the most populated, from what we can observe through channel population, we know Reboot has a serious botting problem. So are how much of those projected numbers and activity real players, or just commercial bots? From the Weekly Ban Data (http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/11576/weekly-ban-data-04-06-2017-04-12-2017#latest), we know Botting (which is also responsible for Advertising), is the main reason for character bans. The data isn't specified by world, and character ≠ account, but as Arwoo noted in the thread, we may get a more detailed report in the future.

There is also the debate if RNG cosmetics can compete with P2W gear. Reboot's main source of income is cosmetics (probably pet's too), while the other worlds generate income from both cosmetics and P2W mechanics. Besides the promotional Kinesis Set, I believe Reboot planned and was set to not offer Permanent NX to profit from expiring NX. Thankfully the community was able to convince Nexon otherwise and started offering Surprise Boxes and other Perm NX. However trade is unavailable on Reboot, and therefore forces players to gamble until they receive the results they want, much like P2W gear.

With the introduction of Surprise Boxes on Reboot, I made the suggestion (on the old forum) that Perm NX be made an exception and become tradeable (with the exclusion of mesos and other non NX items) to counter against multiple, gender locked, and unwanted items we receive and also allow Reboot to have trade without being P2W. It was never implemented, with some suggesting it as a way to bribe for boss carries and therefore defeat the purpose of Reboot. I'm curious to know whether you think it was a calculated or counter productive decision. Instead of P2W mechanics and besides having Smega conversations, whales that have moved or joined Reboot could continue their lifestyle by purchasing boxes until they get the item or results they want, much like Cubing. For players like me, being stuck with the items I can't use or don't want have drastically cut down spending on RNG items compared the other world I played previously.

1. Do you think Reboot generates more profit than other worlds?8 votes
    1. Yes
       38% (3 votes)
    2. No
       63% (5 votes)