[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Class change event

pepepepe
Reactions: 2,125
edited June 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I've always wanted to switch my main for another class ever since I came back from a hiatus but I just have too much invested into my current main with event exclusive untradables and such. I feel like a one time event like this could bring back a lot players who would otherwise forego maple because they're afraid to start from scratch. I'd pay good money for a ticket that can do this.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Way too bug-prone.

Did you know that when you buy a "level 100 character card" (or level 150) in the Cash Shop, you don't actually get an instant level 150 character? You get a level 1 character and a potion that you drink to level up, one level at a time. And you get instructed to take your job advancements at the appropriate level.
    And even so, many classes can't be created using those cards.
    Can you guess why this is?

The answer is that many classes have required story quests (including job advancement quests) that give them skills, AP, SP, equipment, inventory slots, and other attributes. If you tried to create a level 100, or 150, or 200, character of that class out of thin air, it would be missing all those things and likely unplayable. Nexon does not want to take that risk, and that is why they make you level up one level at a time, and tell you to do your job advancements. And for classes that have other required quests, they just don't allow those preleveled character cards at all.

If you arbitrarily class change, you are effectively creating an instant level [whatever your level is] character of another class. It will be missing everything its story quests give. And it might have things left over from your current class, like Beginner skills, or remove skills you earned (like the multi-pet skill).

The only reason Explorers can change class is because their quests are all identical (within the same branch).

So, no, this is not happening. If you want to main another class, make a new character. The sooner you start, the more event untradeables you'll be amassing on your new main.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited June 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    snip

In that case I wouldn't mind starting form level 1, all I want really is my items being preserved. I feel like nexon can make this happen but perhaps there isn't a strong enough demand for it. And yes I'm already making another character with the current burning event and I've already obtained an ss ring and a wondroid heart for it. I'm gonna progress it alongside my main until it surpasses him. But a class change event would make it easier.
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited June 2017
    I wanted to make a suggestion about this exact feature. A lot of people would benefit from it, especially with all the hair, eyes, igns, untradables, funding, sw equips, androids, event perms, inventory slots, medals, chairs, etc they've collected over the years. I've got multiple friends who've become bored of their class and the only option is to make another, but that means losing all their invested time and effort.

• This could be made allowable for characters from lvl 200+, who have completed several boss prequests/storylines, etc
    • A system like the open job advancement would be easiest, where you pay a certain amount of mesos which increases with lvl and amount of times used
    • Class change could be every 3-4 months to prevent abuse for certain event farming?
    • Brand new release classes could be given a cooldown period to prevent old characters from switching in and earning a high rank on the rankings board
    • Starting at lvl 1 like @pepe suggested would give maplers motivation and something to do instead of complaining that the game has gotten boring
    -Or throw the character into a storyline/cutscenes like Aran's and only release them from it - at their original lvl - after it's completed
    -Or skip the main questline and make a quest to earn a lvl 100 class emblem before being initiated
    • The chosen character could be given a starter kit with a full set of job specific pensalir/utgard to help them readjust

I think the only class exception should be for zero since there are two characters and marriage is forbidden. Unless the current tagged in zero becomes the main gender for the new class and the other is scrapped; and before switching into a zero a divorce must be made and the 2nd gendered character is given with the default appearance. A class change would be a lot to consider for nexon if they could implement this feature, but it'll make so many maplers happy to be able to return to their abandoned characters. I create so many designs and it takes me a long time just to choose a class so I can be certain it'll fit the theme. I put off getting royals or wearing perms on characters that I may want to remake since I don't want to waste money on something that may only be temporary; so I would really like class to be flexible if I happen to change my mind.

If we can't allow this for all classes, could demons at least get an open job advancement like explorers?
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited June 2017
    Klara wrote: »
    I wanted to make a suggestion about this exact feature. A lot of people would benefit from it, especially with all the hair, eyes, igns, untradables, funding, sw equips, androids, event perms, inventory slots, medals, chairs, etc they've collected over the years. I've got multiple friends who've become bored of their class and the only option is to make another, but that means losing all their invested time and effort.

• This could be made allowable for characters from lvl 200+, who have completed several boss prequests/storylines, etc
    • A system like the open job advancement would be easiest, where you pay a certain amount of mesos which increases with lvl and amount of times used
    • Class change could be every 3-4 months to prevent abuse for certain event farming?
    • Brand new release classes could be given a cooldown period to prevent old characters from switching in and earning a high rank on the rankings board
    • Starting at lvl 1 like @pepe suggested would give maplers motivation and something to do instead of complaining that the game has gotten boring
    -Or throw the character into a storyline/cutscenes like Aran's and only release them from it - at their original lvl - after it's completed
    -Or skip the main questline and make a quest to earn a lvl 100 class emblem before being initiated
    • The chosen character could be given a starter kit with a full set of job specific pensalir/utgard to help them readjust

I think the only class exception should be for zero since there are two characters and marriage is forbidden. Unless the current tagged in zero becomes the main gender for the new class and the other is scrapped; and before switching into a zero a divorce must be made and the 2nd gendered character is given with the default appearance. A class change would be a lot to consider for nexon if they could implement this feature, but it'll make so many maplers happy to be able to return to their abandoned characters. I create so many designs and it takes me a long time just to choose a class so I can be certain it'll fit the theme. I put off getting royals or wearing perms on characters that I may want to remake since I don't want to waste money on something that may only be temporary; so I would really like class to be flexible if I happen to change my mind.

If we can't allow this for all classes, could demons at least get an open job advancement like explorers?

Demon slayer to avenger?
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited June 2017
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    Demon slayer to avenger?
    Yep, and vice versa.