[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Shao Boss in Alishan causing disconnects

MikevsZodaMikevsZoda
Reactions: 1,055
edited July 2017 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Hyperactive Hack Detection

Brief bug summary:
The Shao boss fight in Alishan causes the ever-reviled GMMaplePolice disconnection "for hack reason" if she is hit too hard during battle.

More details:
In my case, I have a fairly high level character that could potentially kill this boss in a few attacks. However, using any highly damaging or multi-hit skills on the boss causes the always-fun hack detection bot to go haywire and set me up to be disconnected as soon as the fight is over. If I use weaker, single line of damage skills, I can avoid this erroneous detection.

However, this can also occur if I attack her little fairies during her charge-up to instant-kill phase that she enters at about half health. If I were a weaker character, I could risk not killing enough fairies to reduce the instant-kill's damage to...not an instant-kill levels, though thankfully being overlevelled it just misses me.

This over-reactive hack detection has just been a nuisance so far, I still get quest completion for defeating Shao when I kill her, I just get booted to the main menu and have to log in again. This does mean one would have to ride the Alishan train back to Shao to turn in their daily quest which could be very annoying and time-wasting. But the main worry is that if this poor hack detection goes off too often, it could have...less than desirable effects on my account.

This has only started happening recently. Some months or so ago, Shao had various bits of scripting, having her perform certain patterns of attack at certain hp levels. Then at some point after some patch, she was "dumbed down" to effectively functioning as any common monster, using basic attacks on you, and just soaking up damage until she died. Whether this was intentional, or caused by some bug, I don't know, but it still functioned fairly normally as a boss fight. It was in the last couple weeks that her unique scripting came back and this hyperactive hack detection became a problem. Hopefully that can narrow down when and why this issue came about.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Enter the Shao boss fight either as part of the Alishan questline or Alishan daily quests.
2. Hit Shao or her Tree Fairy minions with any sufficiently strong attack.
3. Receive a popup from the GMMaplePolice (with poor grammar) saying you have been "banned for the HACK REASON"
4. Finish fight
5. Be booted to main menu to login again

Character name:
MikeZoda

Character level:

Character job:
Hero (explorer warrior branch job)

World name:
Reboot

Date and time of the incident:
July 7, 2017, 12:00 AM EST