[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

My Insight into Lag Issues

PetalmagicPetalmagic
Reactions: 7,660
edited September 2017 in General Chat
So I heard the game is broken. again. Being inquisitive, I have done a few tests comparing my old game running "stats" to the current.
First: Memory
On average, pre-Tune up, my game ran around 700-800 MB without running it very hard.
Post-Update: 1400+ MB if I can actually log in. 1390 MB if I can make it to character select.
Hypothesis: Possible memory leak type issues, because the usual "increase" from past patches in memory usually isn't this big. Need peers to confirm this.
Second: CPU
Normally, when a game boots up, I expect a CPU spike in upwards of 40%
If that number doesn't decrease to less than 20% after say...3 minutes, I usually crash. If it goes below 8%, I also crash (if in the game)
Hypothesis: None yet, need other opinions
Finally: General Log-in Issues
Most of my issues with the game involve logging in to the game or the Cash shop.
Hypothesis: Possible DDoS of Log In servers

Please note: This is all just my limited insight into all of the crazy crashing and stuff. I would gladly hear your opinions on the matter. I am not a professional or anything, just someone who has made some observations. We can all discuss this civilly.
JettLuvsU

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    It's not a client issue, or Luna would be suffering as well.
    Nexon assures us that it's not DDoS.
    The problem is in establishing a connection between a client and a channel server process. Game channel, cash shop, auction house, monster life, all the same issue. Once the connection is established, gameplay is usually quite smooth.

My first guess was that it's an issue (hardware/firmware) in the Nexon NA network, but I would assume that it wouldn't take a week to determine which box is malfunctioning, and replace it.

Nexon's people suspected it was the giftbox system, and they disabled it, and it completely eliminated the issues. This would make some sense if, in the last patch, they put in some new mechanism for checking that you don't claim the same reward on multiple worlds, and this mechanism was sometimes taking way too long to ask all the servers about it, causing your client to wait (on the black screen) long enough to end up disconnecting. This would explain why Luna was unaffected, being the only server in its region. But it doesn't explain why the issues only started Saturday, and not immediately after the patch on Wednesday.

When Nexon re-enabled the giftbox mechanism, the connectivity issues almost immediately returned. But when they disabled it again, the issues remain!

This is quite puzzling. If they are quite sure that it's not a DDoS trolling them, then the only thing I can think of is that the second "disabling" of the giftbox was not done right. The first one must have stopped the server from even checking if you have anything waiting for you, but the second one only blocked the icon from appearing, but still allows all the checks to run. It sounds like a dumb thing to do, until you realize that there are probably several people/teams working on this issue, and the ones who "disabled" the giftbox the second time, might not know exactly what the first one did.

Anyway, not much point to us speculating or offering advice without any actual info. Hard as it is at this point, we have to trust Nexon's people to fix this.
    JettLuvsU