[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

IN-GAME NAME : Special Characters : AccentedLetter

TalestoryTalestory
Reactions: 830
edited April 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hi, I've already submitted a ticket to ask for a list of Accented Letters (or special characters) that are allowed for our In-Game Name,
but I was told that it wasn't within their authority to tell.

So, I'd like to ask if which accented letters are allowed,

and I'd also like to know how you type them in.

Please check before you take a note down, because some I believe may not work (due to recent patches - according to someone else on reddit)
I just want to know what possible characters there might be.

I've also TRIED TO COPY AND PASTE some letters from internet, but didn't work out well with me.

So I'm asking you.

1. If you could show a list of possible characters allowed for current in-game name.

AND

2. I'd like to know HOW you type them in-game (IF YOU DID NOT COPY PASTE)

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2018
    You can typically type accented characters using alt codes, as specified in this list.
    For example, a-acute (á) can by typed by pressing ALT+0225 on the number pad.

I can confirm á works; my Cadena is named "Fatimá". I don't know if tilde or cedilla works. I believe I copy-pasted it. Additionally, from my time in the free market a long time ago, characters such as the degree symbol (°) works, since I used it to make the (°3°) emoticon. I definitely copy-pasted that in.

I remember hearing someone mention that copy-paste had stopped working in certain areas (such as character creation), however I don't remember if it was confirmed or fixed.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    To add to Neospector's info: I think (not sure; this may have been fixed) that if you change your character's name (using the coupon from Cash Shop) you can't use some/all accented characters that you can use when creating a new character.
  • TalestoryTalestory
    Reactions: 830
    edited April 2018
    Oh I see. Thanks for the information.

But About the SYMBOL CODES using ALT,

I wonder which input do you use?

do you use USA ENGLISH for keyboard input?

I'm currently using these two for now: Korean, and English (US)
    on Windows 10. What's the input you use when you use the symbol code?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2018
    I don't believe it matters, the alt codes are set for various ASCII and Unicode characters.

For what it's worth, I use an English US keyboard.
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited May 2018
    Now they just need to add proper keyboard support for accented characters (like what EMS had) so that I don't have to copy paste Scandinavian letters every time I want to speak my native language. EMS had that, why can't GMS?