[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Potential Equipment Categories

AK712AK712
Reactions: 1,840
edited July 2018 in General Chat
I'm using the following website to try and make charts of the possible percentages of getting each stat on potentials: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/MapleStory/Potential_System

The problem is, there appears to be three categories to equips: Armour, Accessory, and Weapons. Each of these have different potential lines they can receive.

I know for sure that the "Weapons" category includes Weapons, Secondary Weapons, and Emblems. However, the other two categories doesn't seem to have a clear-cut list. Some are claiming that there are only six Accessories; others claim nine, and some claim ten. Armour goes between having Shields and Shoulders and not having either.

This is the list that I have so far. Can anyone help me out in knowing which equips belong to which potential sets?

Armour:
Bottom
Cape
Gloves
Hat
Overall
Shoes

Accessory:
Belt
Earring
Eye
Face
Pendant
Ring

Weapons:
Weapon
Secondary
Emblem

???
Heart
Shield
Badge
Pocket
Shoulder

Thanks,
AK712

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2018
    It's not as simple as that, because there are potential lines that can only appear on one or two specific items (decent skills, crit damage, cooldown reduction, extra seconds of invincibility, and many others, including mundane things like speed and jump).

I recommend contacting redditor /u/stripedypaper, who put a good amount of research into his cubing simulator (https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/500zh8/i_made_a_maplestory_cube_simulator/)
    and /u/jeffrey562, as he's done quite a few statistical studies on cubing results and might have insights to share.
  • AK712AK712
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the resources AKradian! However, I would probably use those as my last resort, as I'm not too keen on creating yet another website account just to ask someone one question.

I think I made my question too broad. I do know which potential lines are one-offs (such as Decent XXX skills for Shoes, etc. and Invincibilities for only Tops/Overalls). I'm mostly confused on the broad potential lines that are somewhere between any equip (like STR%) and single equips (like Invinc.). I think I can get this down to three main questions, and hopefully someone here knows the answers:

1) "X% Chance to Ignore X Damage" lines are only available on Secondary Equips and Armours. For this case, what is classified as an Armour?

2) "Recover X HP/MP Every 4 Seconds" lines are only available on Accessories. For this case, what is classified as an Accessory?

3) For the purposes of Potential lines, are Shields considered Secondary Weapons, Armours, or both?

Thanks,
    AK712
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2018
    Sorry, the only one I know for sure is that Shields definitely get secondary weapon lines (%att, etc). I don't know whether they also get armour-only lines.

You can still use stripedypaper's cubing simulator, even without talking to him, just to see what kinds of lines show up on each type of item. But if you don't ask him how he knew which lines to allow for each item, then you'll just have to take it on faith that he got that info right.
    (For what it's worth, I haven't seen anyone call him out on any mistakes in that regard. Then again, not many people care about things like "x% chance to ignore y damage")
  • AK712AK712
    edited July 2018
    Thanks AKradian! I went through the simulator a few thousand times for each questioned equip and found out some very interesting things about Potential. Mainly:

-Neither Hearts nor Badges are considered Armours (they can't get X% to Ignore Damage) or Accessories (They can't get HP/MP per Second, MP Cost Reduction, Meso%, or Drop %), but can still get %HP/MP/DEF, which is labelled in most places as an Armour-and-Accessory-only line

-Shoulders are considered Armours only and not Accessories (They can get X% to Ignore Damage).

-Shields are considered Secondary Weapons only (I wonder why they have their own classification and aren't just labelled as Secondary Weapons to reduce confusion)

Thanks,
    AK712