[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

White Mage Story Theories! What's your thoughts?

LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
Reactions: 1,285
edited November 2018 in General Chat
Theory 1: So, I've finally entered into the Grand Athenaeum and selected Episode 1 the White Mage. I find this story very interesting and somewhat sad. However, I am bewildered between the game version and the comic version that is presented. Now, some things are explained better in the comic, while some things are better explained in the game. However, I do wonder if the comic can explain something that the game version can't. I am sure in both versions, the Mercenary will surely die. However, I was curious of how Arin lived? I am sure Arin was the one who lived to tell the tale, but she couldn't handle the omens without the mercenary according to the game. So, how? Yet, in the comic version... who was alive to tell the white mage's backstory? As far as I've seen, I am sure the white mage killed everyone.... at least in his way... didn't know if any of them are clerics....

Theory 2: Furthermore, in the game version, I sorta hate the white mage. In the comic version, I kinda feel sorry for him. As much as I hate to admit, if I was in the white mages shoes, I might probably do the same thing. Unlike the game version, where he's seen just as a person wanting more knowledge turned evil. The comic version give him a sense of what everyone has is curiosity and understanding why? And almost everyone knows how it feels to be held back by someone? I guess the comic version made him more human than the game version. What do you think?

Theory 3: I also noticed these version have similar effects, but different causes. For example, Arin is the eye opener for the mercenary, but in the game, it was the mercenary who figured it out. In the comic, Arin told the Mercenary about what she discovered from his research. It's like looking at different story tellers telling the same story, but I do have this theory. What if the fairy in the game was the one telling the origin story in the comic? Could it be possible the white mage shared some knowledge to the fairies? Unlike the game version, it seems like the mercenary and the white mage has some chemistry. They could possibly be friends.

Theory 4: I love how this story treat light and darkness the same way. Usually, it's always light is good and darkness is bad, but in both cases they are equal. It's like Yin and Yang when I read Japanese folklore. There is no ultimate good god and there is no ultimate evil demon. Demons can do good things just as Gods can do bad things. This made me a bit curious about the Luminous class (Hopefully, I spelled that right) is the only example I've seen of balance between light and dark as a mage. So, is the white mage and the black mage pretty much a luminous that went one side and converted?

Anyone feel free to add or subtract to this. Whether you agree or disagree. I doubt there is any right or wrong answers since these are basically theories and/or evaluations on the story. I am looking forward to finishing the rest of the comic. And I will continue on the theme dungeon for fun.

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    I can shed a little bit of light on this, as this book is one of my favorite stories in Maplestory.
    The reason you might hate him in the game version and feel sorry in the comic is because the game version is through merc's perspective.
    The comic version is the white mage's perspective. Thus the contrast in story telling.

Arin possibly did die. Grand Athenaeum is a magic library which records history as it happens. It needs no witness to actually survive. (I think this is actually mentioned a few times in the game.)
    If you want to know who told the white mage's side of the story, it's because Luminous is the final light that the white mage shed off before becoming the black mage.
    He can recall, because he was once part of the white mage.
    This is revealed as soon as you make a Luminous, don't worry, I didn't spoil a big reveal for you. (I think he even mentions this in the comic at some point.)

The White Mage and the Mercenary were friends at first. The game version mentions time skips of at least one month. It also says that they talked frequently, if I'm recalling correctly.
    I'm curious as to exactly what the black mage saw. Before the lead researcher dies (Mars, I think.) he mentions that he couldn't handle the ultimate light.
    However when the black mage talks, he acts as if he's seen the ultimate darkness, that there is no such thing as the ultimate light.
    I wonder which one was actually correct? Perhaps he saw the ultimate light, but went "blind" from seeing such "light", thus he thought he actually saw ultimate darkness.

Also I'm going to just remind everyone that while players may have played through "The White Mage", this doesn't mean they've played through arcane river.
    (We're talking a level 100 theme dungeon vs post-200 main-story-line content.)
    Can we keep spoilers (other than "Episode 1: The White Mage" Storyline) to a minimum?

If you liked that theme dungeon, try playing through "Ellin Forrest" located in Ludas Lake.
    If you want to see more Black Mage goodness without hitting 200, try making one of the heroes or an explorer.
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited November 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    I can shed a little bit of light on this, as this book is one of my favorite stories in Maplestory.
    The reason you might hate him in the game version and feel sorry in the comic is because the game version is through merc's perspective.
    The comic version is the white mage's perspective. Thus the contrast in story telling.

Arin possibly did die. Grand Athenaeum is a magic library which records history as it happens. It needs no witness to actually survive. (I think this is actually mentioned a few times in the game.)
    If you want to know who told the white mage's side of the story, it's because Luminous is the final light that the white mage shed off before becoming the black mage.
    He can recall, because he was once part of the white mage.
    This is revealed as soon as you make a Luminous, don't worry, I didn't spoil a big reveal for you. (I think he even mentions this in the comic at some point.)

The White Mage and the Mercenary were friends at first. The game version mentions time skips of at least one month. It also says that they talked frequently, if I'm recalling correctly.
    I'm curious as to exactly what the black mage saw. Before the lead researcher dies (Mars, I think.) he mentions that he couldn't handle the ultimate light.
    However when the black mage talks, he acts as if he's seen the ultimate darkness, that there is no such thing as the ultimate light.
    I wonder which one was actually correct? Perhaps he saw the ultimate light, but went "blind" from seeing such "light", thus he thought he actually saw ultimate darkness.

Also I'm going to just remind everyone that while players may have played through "The White Mage", this doesn't mean they've played through arcane river.
    (We're talking a level 100 theme dungeon vs post-200 main-story-line content.)
    Can we keep spoilers (other than "Episode 1: The White Mage" Storyline) to a minimum?

If you liked that theme dungeon, try playing through "Ellin Forrest" located in Ludas Lake.
    If you want to see more Black Mage goodness without hitting 200, try making one of the heroes or an explorer.

That makes sense. I wonder why the magical library went into the mercenaries perspective. To be honest, it shows he wasn't a hero type to the end. I think the comic said it best that he was kinda like a moth going into the flame.

You're probably right on that. I really can't see how she survived, but there could be a very very slim chance she could. I mean they were lost at some point of the story to get to the white mages place.

You mean that small light that mercenary found before facing the black mage? So, the Luminous is like a piece of that the white mage threw away to become the black mage.

I never thought of being blinded. That would make sense why he couldn't see the ultimate light and only saw ultimate darkness. It like he succeeded and didn't even realize it and allowed his thought of failure to consume him. In a way, if this is true. So, to probably get the rest of the story the key is probably a luminous character. Which I am not ready to raise a mage yet. Overall this is very informative. Well, right now I am an explorer at 116. I finished the maplestory book, and working on the next episode. Ellin Forest sounds like a fun destination. Wait.... is the forest of peace in that place?

Oh wait.... if we kill the black mage... does that mean Luminous will die as well, or he became his own person now?

Anyone else like to add or subtract?