[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Could Primal Bolt be a little more useful?

AznboiEAznboiE
Reactions: 3,445
edited January 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I won't lie, the passive boosts that Primal Bolt offers are really good, but just being able to spam Typhoon and Thunderbolt to deal immense damage to normal mobs isn't that great, as it's apparently (not my words) not strong enough to replace Thunderbolt + Annihilation combo. I'm not saying it needs to be, but if the only bonus of using the skill is to allow Typhoon to be spammed, there's no reason to use it at all.
Reasons to not use it being:
Thunderbolt was recently changed to attack the same speed as Typhoon when primal bolt had half of it's uptime wiped.
When using Typhoon, you exchange PDR% for Damage % at a rate of 1 lightning buff stack (9% PDR) for a buff that gives 7% damage per stack. When you combo with Typhoon, you can only accumulate 1 lightning buff and the PDR% goes away when using Typhoon, which will give you only 1 lightning buff worth of of damage during the entire time Primal Bolt is up. In comparison, you could save 5 lightning buffs, use Typhoon for 35% damage, and charge 5 more lightning buff stacks that won't go away when using Thunderbolt + annihilate.

Although Typhoon does 390% damage and Annihilate does 350% before Hyper passives (and unlocking primal bolt), and is slightly faster, Annihilate has a PDR ignore bonus hyper and a Boss Damage Hyper Passive, making it far superior to Typhoon when it comes to comboing with Thunderbolt for doing more damage to bosses. Not to mention that Annihilate has a potential of 14 lines of damage to Typhoon's potential of 12 ( with the +1 line hyper passive). tl;dr only bonus of Thunderbolt Vs Typhoon vs Thunderbolt Vs Annihilate is the attack speed difference, but I believe the lack of lines causes there to be no difference.

So back to my case. I think to make an improvement, they could freeze the lightning buff stacks and not have them be removed when Typhoon is used when Primal Bolt is active, since the skill has 50% uptime, will make the 90 seconds worth using Thunderbolt + Typhoon over Thunderbolt + Annihilation because you won't lose 40.5% PDR and 28% Damage in the process but will be missing out on Annihilate's 20% boss damage and PDR Hyper passives in exchange for a skill that does 40% more skill damage.

Comments

• MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Typhoon, from my experience, seems to have a larger hit range than Thunderbolt. When I was training my Thunder Breaker and could one-shot the monsters, using Primal Bolt/Typhoon was wayyyy faster than using just Thunderbolt. However, now that 5th job is a thing, and you have two skills that care about maintaining Lightning stacks/combos, it basically makes it a useless skill. Since reaching 5th job, I've never used Primal Bolt. I agree that having it maintain lightning buff stacks would be a way to make it not so useless.

Another thing to consider is the way that Thunder God Spear Strike works. Since you accrue combo points by linking skills together, it makes the most sense to chain Thunderbolt/Ascension/Thunder, but our highest non-CD damaging skill, Annihilate, doesn't charge lightning buffs. Now I haven't done any extensive testing so I can't say this is for sure, but it seems to me that using Annihilate is worse than sticking with the other 3 skills, because using Annihilate won't generate the lightning buffs in order to trigger TGSS. It seems odd to me that they would design skills that basically negate other ones, especially when it's a hyper or 4th job skill.